Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thumb first?

SandBagger
    Chats: 0

Default Thumb first?

I know Tommy Jones does it, and I think this has been mentioned before but I couldn't find the page. I've been experimenting with my ball outside the lanes, and I can tell by putting in the thumb first it changes the way the ball hangs on to my hand. Does anyone try this or does it? What is it good for?

Chats: 506

fingers first cardinal rule google
    Stroker
    Ball Speed : 17mph Rev Rate : 300-325 PAP : 4 1/2
    Balls : Hammer Taboo Deep Purple Roto Grip Shatter Roto Grip Scream Hammer absolute hook
    Avg 182 high game 291 High series 709
    bowling 2 leagues and everyday i can

Member ID: 9407-9357

Ronnie Russell does it as well. Always wondered why he and TJ put thier thumb in first. Jones almost screws his thumb in. I would bet it's because he has a very tight thumb hole, so he can't grab on the way down, and going thumb first may be able to get his thumb out fast and clean.
    Sinister is the only way to live.

SandBagger

Something I have not payed much attention to until now, is many times my thumb hole will get an air bubble in there after I put my thumb in. It seems like I can get that air bubble out easier by putting the thumb in first.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by GoodGorilla View Post
    I know Tommy Jones does it, and I think this has been mentioned before but I couldn't find the page. I've been experimenting with my ball outside the lanes, and I can tell by putting in the thumb first it changes the way the ball hangs on to my hand. Does anyone try this or does it? What is it good for?
    Putting the thumb in first is a old bowling trick, it can take a lot off the ball. Good trick for straightening out a shot at the ten pin.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

One reason why Tommy Jones puts his thumb is first is because of the damage that has been done. Notice how he puts it in and then seems to turn it? It is because he puts his thumb in to clear all the damage and calluses and then puts his fingers in. So that may not be something that he really has any choice on.
    Levi "Lucky" Lauck - USBC Silver Coach - U.B.A. Member

UBowling.com is a new bowling website created as a resource of bowling news, reviews and information to help grow and improve the bowling community.

not recommended. It could hurt your wrist and will decrease revs

In 54 years of bowling, I have never met anyone that put their thumb in first. Where do you guys get this stuff from? LOL

Bob

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by Tampabaybob View Post
    In 54 years of bowling, I have never met anyone that put their thumb in first. Where do you guys get this stuff from? LOL

Bob
    I heard of it years ago, if I can find it. It was in one of the bowling magazines or books I have , but here's from Ron Clifton:

"Make sure you keep your wrist open all the way through the release without lifting up your fingers as the ball leaves your hand as in Photo 2. If the lanes are really dry, try placing your thumb into the ball first and then your fingers. Think about throwing the ball more with your thumb, keeping your hand open and relaxed as you go through the release. Try to make your follow-through long and low instead of reaching for the sky. "

Experimental Tip # 1: Thumb in First to Reduce Grip Pressure PDF Print E-mail
    Written by Joe Slowinski
    Thursday, 01 February 2007
    Read about an experiment to help reduce your grip pressure. Can you imagine putting your thumb in the ball first? Well, you might be surprized at the results. This can be very effective in playing the extreme outside on short patterns or when you want to create a more consistent reaction.

http://bowlingknowledge.info/index.p...d=83&Itemid=62

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 36

Quote Originally Posted by Tampabaybob View Post

Bob
    Ever watch Tommy Jones? He puts his thumb in first and then twists it tight before putting his fingers in the ball....

Jay
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    IN THE BAG > RG -Hyper Cell Fused, Menace; Storm -Code Black, Reign of Power, Lock; [COLOR=#006400;,Track - Hx-10, [B]"
    High Game/High Series - 299(2)/300(13)/856 (Elmira, NY in 1980); Member of Corning, NY Junior Bowling HOF.
    Tweener; PAP= 4.75 over x .75 up/Tilt 10 degrees/Axis of rotation 40 degrees/Revs = 368 and speed is 16.86 MPH average.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast