Thread: Took my new Blue Hammer out for it's test spin today.....

Chats: 0

Default Took my new Blue Hammer out for it's test spin today.....

It is a lot different from my Raw Hammer Anger ball. Raw Hammer is like throwing a boomerange where this is like playing direct bowling. The spot I was standing on the approach was the second board from the left of the third dot and throwing practically over the first arrow on the left. I am left handed by the way. Sometimes I would stand with the toe of my right foot facing the third dot exactly. The first two games were the feel out games on where to stand for strikes and spares. They were a 155 and 158. Not impressive but I was not worried about score because this was practice and feeling out a new ball. Then things changed for the better. I got the feel of my approach down and was able to zero in on what my hand and fingers were doing.
    Along came a 191 and a 205. The 205 had 5 strikes strung together with a total of 7 strikes in the game. My 5th game was my sacrificial game. It was a test of standing on different boards to see what the most this ball could do for me on different locations. I have to practice picking up spares because I was use to hooking everything with my Raw Hammer. The last game was back to being serious. I was tired and didn't know if I should bowl another game. But the new ball called to me and I said okay. I bowled a 189. Overall I am pleased with my Blue Hammer because I kind of liked more direct bowling with it. I felt like I didn't have to line up to zero with a hook to the pocket. With the Blue I found my spot and could put the fingers to it good to get a pocket hit with a controlled hook. I was real aware of what my hand and fingers were doing when I would throw it down the alley. I usually never focused on where my ball was in my swing but had the awareness today. I knew when my ball hit the top of the backswing and took my power step and slide as the ball was coming down. So I was happy with the Blue Hammer. I liked the more direct bowling. For guys here that have trouble with a hooking reactive resin ball I would say to try a urethane ball and see if it is easier for you to line up for pocket hits.

Cranker
    Chats: 7

Much success with your new hammer! And remember"NOTHING HITS LIKE A HAMMER!"

Zothen

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

I love urethane balls. I really love when it's getting dry and I can swing and crank them. Here are guys struggling with their heavy oil reactive resin balls and I'm covering 42 boards with the low hook ball.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

I've recently been using my Blue Hammer as a go to ball when I can't get it to the pocket it's so predictable and controllable it also helps me slow my speed down and that helps me with my accuracy personality. It's also pretty good with carry and it helps break up a lot of splits that would otherwise have been left with resin reactive stuff

Quote Originally Posted by EboniteKid299 View Post
    I've recently been using my Blue Hammer as a go to ball when I can't get it to the pocket it's so predictable and controllable it also helps me slow my speed down and that helps me with my accuracy personality. It's also pretty good with carry and it helps break up a lot of splits that would otherwise have been left with resin reactive stuff
    I notice with my Blue Hammer that the 7 pin that I would leave with my Raw Hammer resin ball I would get a tap 7 with my Blue. Also the same thing seem to be with the 10 pin. What I like about the Blue is that I can crank it on the same target for a long time and still get that nice controlled hook to the pocket. It sure takes away a lot of guesswork . Now I have to get use to picking up spares with it because it has a longer slide and less dramatic hook. I am thinking of getting it resurfaced with an abralon pad to get it tweeked for a little more hook.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Be careful with that. You don't want to make it too aggressive or you will defeat the whole purpose of getting it. It's wonderful knowing exactly what it's going to do each time and is less susceptible to changes in the lane, in my opinion.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Quote Originally Posted by billf View Post
    Be careful with that. You don't want to make it too aggressive or you will defeat the whole purpose of getting it. It's wonderful knowing exactly what it's going to do each time and is less susceptible to changes in the lane, in my opinion.
    I know what you mean by doing too much to the surface for more hook. I was thinking of going to rougher surface a little at a time. It doesn't need much. Just the slightest of tweeking. I like the fact that you can really hit this thing with the fingers in the release and not have it go into the next alley. I wonder how the Columbia U2 Classic would have worked with out of the box surface? That ball was my second choice if I couldn't get the Blue Hammer.