Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advice/opinions on which ball I should get...

Default Need advice/opinions on which ball I should get...

Hi all, I'm new to the forums. Been reading and researching and since I'm getting close to purchasing my first new ball in over 18 years I figured it would definitely help to get some information from the knowledgeable membership here.

Firstly some background info, I bowled in a league until I was 19 years old. Junior league up to 18 then one year in an adult league. Got away from it for a long time until recently when my mother signed my kids up for a junior league (they are 11 and 8 years old). So now I'm getting the itch to start bowling again. The last ball(s) that I had were a Rhino (Teal) and a Hammer Blue (Urethane). My brother took my Rhino about 10 years ago and had it re-drilled to fit him, so I'm taking that as an oppurtunity to buy myself a new ball. I have thrown the old Hammer for five games over the past couple of weeks and I averaged about 180ish (if I recall correctly my average during my last league bowling season was mid to high 190's).

So now I'm looking for a new ball. Things sure have changed quite a bit in 18+ years. Doing a bit of research I've narrowed it down to what I believe would be a few good choices for my style which IIRC was a medium to long slide and a hard left hook at the end with the Rhino. The Hammer was used more for spare shots that I wanted to keep from hooking too much and/or for lightly oiled lanes. I plan to keep the Hammer in the bag now too. I've been told by a number of people that I trust that I will want to definitely make sure I get a ball with a 'reactive resin' coverstock especially if I plan on getting back into league bowling (which I am).

So the balls that I've been thinking about buying are:

Brunswick C-System Versa-Max
    DV8 HellRaiser Terror or Revenge
    DV8 Marauder
    Hammer Ratchet

If there are any out there that I should be including on this list or any that I should cross off right now please let me know.

So any information, opinions, etc. would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Banned
    Chats: 100

I don't know how slide length relates to style but my opinion is to get the Versa-Max or Marauder from that list. Or maybe something like Storm Hyroad or Crossroad.

Chats: 506

hammer still makes good bowling balls DV8 seems to be the best now ask around pro shops and i bet you they say dv8 are good balls i my self i am a hammer guy storm makes good balls still this question is best asked by and check this site out http://www.bowlingball.com/ you know that the terror and hell riser are the 2 balls that will hook alot! but yeah i dont know what type of bowler you are

Cranker
    Chats: 7

Roto Grip Defiant or beserk are nice balls that can be used on most light/medium-heavy oil. Brunswick C-(system)Maxxed Out,possibly DV8 Maurader Madness or nightmare,Hammer Taboo Purple,Columbia Violent or Mass Eruption,900 global Train or Frieght Train,Storm !Q Tour-Vivid or Lucid.

Zothen

Quote Originally Posted by Zothen View Post
    Roto Grip Defiant or beserk are nice balls that can be used on most light/medium-heavy oil. Brunswick C-(system)Maxxed Out,possibly DV8 Maurader Madness or nightmare,Hammer Taboo Purple,Columbia Violent or Mass Eruption,900 global Train or Frieght Train,Storm !Q Tour-Vivid or Lucid.

Zothen
    Arent all the balls in your last sentence heavy oil balls?
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums.
    In the bag: Storm IQ, Storm Lucid,Storm Frantic,Brunswick T-Zone .
    High Game: 299 High Series: 725

Quote Originally Posted by Ball99999 View Post
    I don't know how slide length relates to style but my opinion is to get the Versa-Max or Marauder from that list. Or maybe something like Storm Hyroad or Crossroad.
    I guess what I was trying to get at was the length the ball goes before taking any action.
    And I suppose as far as what style my form is it would be a "Tweener" with a lean towards a Stroker.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Your description told me tweener to stroker as most crankers plant or have a very short slide. Out of your list I would choose the Terror. The polished cover allows it to clear the heads nicely before reading the mid-lane and has a beautiful, angular hook at the end. I am biased though as this is currently my favorite ball. The Marauder also is polished with an angular back end hook but is more suited to slightly less oil. Before making your choice I would suggest talking to some of the more experienced bowlers in the league to see how they would interpret the amount of oil commonly found there during league play. If it dries up you will definitely want to use your urethane ball so I'm pleased to hear you plan to keep it.
    **If your rev rate is extremely low the Revenge will work well. If it's higher with a high axis rotation then the Revenge will be too much ball for league. It is however, a great ball for certain sport patterns and tournaments.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

From that list I would go with the versa max. It is the most versatile ball I have thrown in a while. I would also highly recommend the storm tropical heat hybrid.

Cranker
    Chats: 7

Brother_jd-Yes they are listed as heavy oil! In my experiance most heavy oil balls can be used for light/medium-heavy oil depending on how their drilled and coverstock adjustment. The only ball that is strickly for heavy oil FOR ME is the neXus Soild(Pink/Blue)because of how it's drilled it won't stay on the lane unless it's heavy oil. I have tried various coverstocks and nada. That is why I left it off the list! I have seen the Trains,!Q Tour,Vivid,Violent Eruption and C-(System)Maxxed Out used on most lane conditions with some nice results.

Zothen

Ringer
    Chats: 24

Quote Originally Posted by noeymc View Post
    hammer still makes good bowling balls DV8 seems to be the best now ask around pro shops and i bet you they say dv8 are good balls i my self i am a hammer guy storm makes good balls still this question is best asked by and check this site out http://www.bowlingball.com/ you know that the terror and hell riser are the 2 balls that will hook alot! but yeah i dont know what type of bowler you are
    DV8 has a great reputation around these forums, once you get to the pro shops (at least around here) you don't even see them stocked. Some of the shops see them as "only brunswick balls" and brunswick took a hit to their rep when they moved manufacturing to Mexico. DV8 also doesn't pay for shelf space like some companies (airfresheners) do. I had such a hard time last year trying to get my first DV8 I ended up ordering it online to save myself the headache. Sooner or later though shops will not be able to ignore DV8 as their balls are definitely gaining in popularity.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast