Thread: Advice on swing problem

Default Advice on swing problem

I know my form is nowhere near perfect, but I need advice on how to correct my swing. As you can notice from the video, my swing goes leftward behind me. I have corrected it some by being more aware of the problem (used to go left even farther). Help....
    The ball being used is 14 lbs.

Chats: 25

Argh, dumb spammer dragging up old threads.

I don't know if you still need help with this or not but I noticed you're starting out with your left foot in front (out ahead of, I should say) of your right, which will open your shoulders and point your upper body more towards the right. As a result your backswing will go left and then your only option is to pull it back straight when the ball comes forward on your downswing, which results in a loss of momentum and a swing that's more difficult to do consistently. So for starters, I'd put those feet together in your starting stance, or maybe put the right one slightly out ahead of the left. The idea is to have a swing that goes straight behind you and then straight forward so your arm can stay loose and relaxed through the entire swing.
    Last edited by AZBowla; 11-21-2012 at 01:32 PM.

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by shark View Post
    I know my form is nowhere near perfect, but I need advice on how to correct my swing. As you can notice from the video, my swing goes leftward behind me. I have corrected it some by being more aware of the problem (used to go left even farther). Help....
    The ball being used is 14 lbs.

Your swing goes leftward behind your back because your push away goes to the right.

Also since your aren't paying for the video by the frame, it would help if you started the video about a second before you started moving, and continue until after the ball has hit the pins.

That would include both your initial stance, and balance after throwing the ball.
    Last edited by Mike White; 11-21-2012 at 01:56 PM.

Ok. So let me make sure I am following you. I could start 1 of 2 ways: #1 rt foot out front a little but still start off with left foot moving or #2 start off with both feet together and then move left foot first...

If I am totally wrong, please correct me.

Thank you. Another option to try...as I did not even notice that the initial step was moving right.

Chats: 25

I would start out with both feet together and then start off as you normally do. This will square you up to the foul line and, assuming you remain squared up through your swing, it should automatically go straight back instead of off to the left behind you.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

This is for a right handed bowler. stand with feet together, the left foot a half step in front of the right, pointed towards the target. If using a 4 step approach, take a step forward with the right foot first. If utilizing the crossover step, it is easiest in the first step.
    As the right foot hits the floor the ball should also be hitting the end of the push away or end of the hinge at this time.
    Mike was correct about the push away to the right causing the left sway behind your back. To alter this, hinge or push away either straight out of slightly to your left.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com