Former Bowling Hall of Fame and Museum curator and American Bowling Congress public relations executive John Bruce Pluckhahn, 84, died Nov. 18 after a long stay at the Catholic Home in Milwaukee.

The Wauwatosa, Wis., native was a giant in the public relations field of bowling and was honored for his efforts with election to the ABC Hall in 1989 for his work with the American Bowling Congress and as the first curator of the International Bowling Museum and Hall of Fame.

Pluckhahn joined the ABC public relations staff in 1953 after working in the newspaper field at Wausau (Wis.) and Dayton (Ohio). The University of Wisconsin-Madison graduate became ABC PR director in 1957 following the death of Eli Whitney, who hired him.

He served as executive director of the ABC Hall of Fame board from 1957-76 when he stepped out of the ABC position to become museum curator. He moved to St. Louis to help create the bowling museum. He traveled the world seeking bowling memorabilia, and much of what appears in the shrine was collected by his doggedness to convince people that their treasures should be put on display.

"He was not only the best PR person I knew, but he was the nicest," said his long-time friend Steve James. "Bruce hired me, taught me a lot about bowling, the ABC and how to deal with the variety of personalities that make up the bowling family. And he was a great writer and creative thinker. When he went into the nursing home, the sport lost a great contributor. Today really is a sad day."

Pluckhahn worked for Frank Baker during ABC's golden years and he was given free reign to help expand the sport's attraction to the public. He was a strong supporter of the Professional Bowlers Association during its creation in 1959 and was close friends with many of the game's greats including Dick Weber and Don Carter.

Pluckhahn is survived by his wife Rosemary, daughter Susan and four sons John, Bill, Bob and Charlie. Information regarding memorial services is pending.