Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help- don't know what to do.

Unhappy Need help- don't know what to do.

I’ll try to keep this as brief as possible.

The issues I’m currently having began in the summer. During that time, at the recommendation of some excellent bowlers, I added a push-away to my release. This helped me greatly, increasing my speed by about miles an hour. However, because I was using my “pre-push-away” grip, I soon started having issues dropping the ball. This issue has continued to this day, nearly three months into my bowling season. Two of my very competent fellow bowlers, also wheelchair users like me, strongly recommended that I have my pro shop install finger grips into my conventional grip bowling balls. When I went to my main pro shop, the owner discouraged me from installing finger grips- I can't remember, but it might have been due to the fact that I throw a conventional grip. He then recommended that I use white tape- a move that I feel is far less economical (at least long-term). Later I went to another pro shop, this time with only slightly better results. The owner of this second shop, in order for me not to drop the ball, made a few changes. He very slightly shortened the span, increased the forward pitch a small amount, and inserted something called a thumb slug. This “thumb slug” is something I know very little about. Is it the same as a thumb insert? Is it supposed to benefit me as a bowler, or the pro shop owner as a ball driller? I’m very unclear on this “thumb slug“ concept. This new setup seemed to work alright- the first two games of my set last night resulted in the horrible type of score that is all too typical this season for me, while the last was at my last season average. I would think that it’s natural to have to “break in” a new grip like this, but I’m not sure. However, to my extreme despair, I am still without finger inserts. My two friends that have helped me with this were utterly appalled that I did not receive services that I explicitly requested. Overall, these issues are causing me great distress. If anyone could help me with any of my concerns and questions, I would be eternally appreciative. Thank you very much, and I apologize for the long post.

Cranker
    Chats: 7

I know finger inserts are to give more lift,but,not sure if it will help a person who throws a straight ball. The thumb slug may have been put in because your dropping the ball,which means the thumb is coming out to early. The slug may feel snug which is the way it's suppose to be,so you may have to get used to it. the other question is,is your wheelchair a conventional chair or is it modified so you can bowl? Your wheelchair may be interfering with your push away? If you can make a video,we could help you if we can see whats going on.

Zothen

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

On the thumb slug, the pro shop isn't trying to rip you off. Yes they may be making an extra buck or two but it allows them to change the thumb pitch the same day rather than having to wait for filler material to cure.
    John

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Talk Bowling Episode 11 - Finger Inserts and Thumb Slugs
    Finger Inserts, Thumb Slugs, Switch Grips, and Thumb Molds OH MY!

There are many options when it comes to how the bowling ball feels in your hands. And there are many determining factors to how you release the ball.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Quote Originally Posted by Zothen View Post
    I know finger inserts are to give more lift,but,not sure if it will help a person who throws a straight ball. The thumb slug may have been put in because your dropping the ball,which means the thumb is coming out to early. The slug may feel snug which is the way it's suppose to be,so you may have to get used to it. the other question is,is your wheelchair a conventional chair or is it modified so you can bowl? Your wheelchair may be interfering with your push away? If you can make a video,we could help you if we can see whats going on.

Zothen
    Although I do throw a straight ball, I do this only for my spare ball- an Ebonite Maxim. For my strike ball, a Brunswick Avalanche Pearl, I do throw a hook. My slug does feel comfortably tight, and I'm getting used to it. My wheelchair is essentially an unmodified manual wheelchair. The only modification to it I've made is removing the push-rim of the right wheel (I bowl right-handed). I wonder, though, if posting a video would help. Judging from the able-bodied bowlers I know who've bowled from a wheelchair, it almost seems like they're two different sports. I don't mean to disregard the talent or knowledge of anyone here, but I can't help but question the idea.

***Important side-note***

I talked to one of my fellow wheelchair league members about the inserts. He suggested that the inserts weren't put in because my fingers might be too thin. I don't consider this likely, as I believe I have at least average sized hands for an adult male. What is the smallest size that inserts would come in, and what object would be comparable to this diameter?

Thanks for the help, everybody!

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

1. They make inserts small enough to fit a child's fingers so that shouldn't be an issue. Sharpie sized comes to mind.
    2. Video may not help as there are some major differences but I do coach a wheel chair league so I may be able to help or get the answers.
    3. With the slug, it's designed to reduce the amount of pressure the thumb uses to hold the ball. If you're gripping too tight it will affect ball reaction. That being said, I've never seen anyone use a slug and have conventional finger grips.
    4. What part of Wisconsin? We may be able to find a pro shop willing to actually want to help. That sounds harsh. Maybe one willing to listen and learn what a wheelchair bowler is capable of and willing to do what's needed to succeed.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Quote Originally Posted by billf View Post
    1. They make inserts small enough to fit a child's fingers so that shouldn't be an issue. Sharpie sized comes to mind.
    2. Video may not help as there are some major differences but I do coach a wheel chair league so I may be able to help or get the answers.
    3. With the slug, it's designed to reduce the amount of pressure the thumb uses to hold the ball. If you're gripping too tight it will affect ball reaction. That being said, I've never seen anyone use a slug and have conventional finger grips.
    4. What part of Wisconsin? We may be able to find a pro shop willing to actually want to help. That sounds harsh. Maybe one willing to listen and learn what a wheelchair bowler is capable of and willing to do what's needed to succeed.
    Thanks for the feedback, Bill! My instinct was that sizing wouldn't be an issue. I also appreciate you offering to give video feedback- I'll see if I can get to that. Why do you think that you haven't seen a slug and grips used together on a conventional grip? Would this not work? I live about 30 minutes from Milwaukee in a city called New Berlin. We might need to find another pro shop, but I think that I need to be a little more assertive in saying what I want done to my bowling balls. I do know of another shop, the Cliff Barnes Pro Shop located within AMF Bowlero, that I could try. Again, thanks for the help, and I'll try to keep everyone updated!
    Last edited by Bowling Wonder; 11-22-2012 at 04:18 PM.

Blog Entries

The span and pitch on a balled drilled to your hand would be different for a conventional grip versus finger tip. The span is obvious why seeing how less fingers go in the ball. The pitch can be different due to the same reason. However, my personal observation has been most, not all, wheelchair bowlers are more on the side or top of the ball than able-bodied bowlers. I don't know how much of that is coaching or the difficulty the chair causes or even just the length of the bowlers' arms.
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Key Bowling Staff Member

IBPSIA member

Blog Entries

Bowling Wonder, I would like to apologize now. If at any time I post anything that sounds offensive or discrimatory (sp?) it is definitely not intended that way. I realize that when I write what sounds fine in my head with the intended tone and inflection doesn't always come across that way. I try to give honest answers but can also understand how sometimes they may just seem rude and/or crude.
    So again, if I offend you in any way, shape or form, I'm sorry.
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Key Bowling Staff Member

IBPSIA member

Interestingly enough, Bill, I've also noticed most of the other wheelchair bowlers on my league staying on the side of the ball- I haven't gotten around to discussing this with them, but I plan on doing so. I can assure you that you have nothing to worry about. You've said nothing to offend me. By the way, it's spelled "discriminatory". Thanks again for your help!
    Last edited by Bowling Wonder; 11-23-2012 at 12:48 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast