Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who is the all time best sports player?

Blog Entries
    Chats: 16

Default The guys who make it work

I am an old man. I have seen many players over the years. The ones who are truly great are the ones who go through their careers and are barely noticed. Football lineman who dont get penalties and block good. Safeties who may not make the tackle,but set it up. My pick is Claude Humphries of the Atlanta Falcons. It was a pleasure and previledge to watch that man play.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 2

Who is the best all-time sports player???? What a loaded question, huh? Let's narrow the question's substance down a little...the best player must come from the toughest sport, must also be the very best all-time in that sport, and must have multiple championships under his belt (not Her belt)...must also be a top-notch, world class athlete, who made other people around them better, thus the multiple championships, and finally, must be a true gentleman, who honored the sport he played and was a true sportsman....there is no question that the only person who fits the bill is the one and only....
    MAGIC JOHNSON period

Super Moderator

Chats: 246

Jim Thorpe.

Magic? True gentleman? True sportsman? Ask Cookie and see if she agrees. Heard he "attained" the virus from too many rainbows on the road. And this guy went to college? Sure doesn't and hasn't sounded like it. Nice talk show, too.

Blog Entries

I guess you never sowed some wild oats before you got married, eh? As far as college goes, Magic is worth half a billion dollars but he can't talk right, so I guess his business smarts were just luck, huh? Basketball at the pro level is by far the most difficult sport to excel in, and the best athletes in the world are NBA players...Jim Thorpe might have been the 12th man on the Timberwolves...maybe.
    Last edited by comfortably numb; 05-17-2011 at 08:43 AM.

Step into my office

Chats: 42

The most demanding position in any sport is Quarterback in the NFL. Dan Marino is the most skilled and talented to ever play the position. There's no question in my mind, he's the greatest athlete ever. Put Marino on any of Montana's SB winning teams and they still win. Put Montana on any of Marino's teams, they don't win half as many games.
    My new CD, 'What I'm Made Of' is available now at www.dustinseymour.com, iTunes, Amazon and more!

I'm a bowler and a musician. I have a strong love for both. www.facebook.com/dustinseymourmusic

I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums.

Super Moderator

Chats: 246

Sorry, he "attained" his virus after his marriage. Sure I sowed some wild oats, but did't "attain" any STDs. Being rich doesn't make you smart. Isn't this an "all time best SPORTS player?" I took that to mean more than one. If you're going with basketball, sorry, it's got to be MJ.

Step into my office

I'd have to agree with Kevin. Magic probably makes the back end of the top 10 on my list.
    1. Jordan
    2. Wilt
    3. Russell
    4. Jabbar
    5. Olajuwon
    6. Bird
    7. Shaq
    8. Magic

Or something like that...
    My new CD, 'What I'm Made Of' is available now at www.dustinseymour.com, iTunes, Amazon and more!

I'm a bowler and a musician. I have a strong love for both. www.facebook.com/dustinseymourmusic

Blog Entries

If basketball was an individual sport, I would have to agree with Whiskey and Kev (being from Chicago had absolutely no bearing on your choice of MJ, did it?)...however, the last time I looked basketball is a team sport, and not one player listed above Magic made his teammates better players or was a better leader. Magic reinvented the point guard position...who before Magic had ever heard of a 6'9" point guard? As for Magic and the HIV virus, he was married when he was diagnosed, but were you there when he attained it? If not, how do you know he was married when he got it? And, if we are talking about multiple-sports stars, Bo Jackson was a far superior 2-sport star than MJ. Bo was an All-star in both sports, and if not for injury, would have been in 2 Halls of Fame. MJ was a scrub baseball player, whose own ego had told him he could be a star in anything he wanted to do. MJ has probably lost more money gambling than he made at basketball...good thing he can sell underwear, huh?
    Last edited by comfortably numb; 05-17-2011 at 09:06 AM.

Michael Jordan all the way!

Step into my office

Actually, Jordan could've been a very solid baseball player. Watch the ESPN 30 for 30 they did about it. I had the same opinion as you before I watched it. It was very interesting. He was a great athlete and could've played any sport. Woulda been one hell of a wide receiver, methinks.

Can't believe no one has mentioned The Babe either. So far ahead of anyone of his era. Over a .340 BA, 714HR, 2 time 20 game winner as a pitcher.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast