Thread: Does your sliding foot lose it's position with a crossover step?

Chats: 0

Default Does your sliding foot lose it's position with a crossover step?

Let's use a four step approach as an example. Say you set your feet with the toe of your sliding foot on the middle dot on the approach which is board
    20. Now using a crossover step as your first step your right foot toe is now on say board 20 and the next step with you left foot toe ends up on board
    24 which is left of the center dot. Now your next step with you right foot has the toe on board 20. Now when you third step with your right foot goes to push you into your slide your slide foot will end up in the center of your body which while doing that will have the toe end up on board 20 again. I tried this on my wood flooring in my dining room to see if my thinking was correct. I should have done it using a left hander approach because it would have been easier for me. This example is a right handed one. I thought that I read on the forum here that when you take a crossover step your sliding foot ends up on a different board then it started on. This means that you will be off target from where you started at. So if I figured this out right your sliding foot does end up on the board it started on unless you have bad footwork. Anybody reading this will probably end up crosseyed or with a good headache. I wonder how many folks here will be trying this out on their floor to see if I am right. I can see some of your spouses asking honey, what are you doing? Let me know if I am wrong. Excuse me but I have to take something for this headache I have now.

It is good to have your feet "crossover". I call it "walking the line". By taking those steps one in front of the other it clears the hips for the path of the ball and helps the swing free up and increase your accuracy on the release angles. I don't recommend crossing over too far, but keeping it in front is a good thing. I wouldn't worry too much about drifting if you slide on a different board than you line up on, most people do it. Just try to remember what you do and if you drift and are worried about where you need to release the ball based on your slide foot position, just remember how much you drift and line up accordingly.
    Levi "Lucky" Lauck - USBC Silver Coach - U.B.A. Member

UBowling.com is a new bowling website created as a resource of bowling news, reviews and information to help grow and improve the bowling community.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

When I use the crossover I usually end up laying the ball down on the board my slide foot toe was on to begin with. Keep in mind though, most people if there ball is close to the ankle at release, the ball will be about 4 boards over from the slide foot.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Chats: 36

It sounds to me that you are worried about drift?? Am I being too simplistic here? If you are worried about drifting, all you really need to be concerned about is consistency...

Jay
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    IN THE BAG > RG -Hyper Cell Fused, Menace; Storm -Code Black, Reign of Power, Lock; [COLOR=#006400;,Track - Hx-10, [B]"
    High Game/High Series - 299(2)/300(13)/856 (Elmira, NY in 1980); Member of Corning, NY Junior Bowling HOF.
    Tweener; PAP= 4.75 over x .75 up/Tilt 10 degrees/Axis of rotation 40 degrees/Revs = 368 and speed is 16.86 MPH average.

Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by The German Shepherd View Post
    It sounds to me that you are worried about drift?? Am I being too simplistic here? If you are worried about drifting, all you really need to be concerned about is consistency...

Jay
    No, not worried about drift. I just thought that someone here mentioned that if you do a crossover step your sliding foot will end up to the left of where it started. So if you don't drift and walk straight the sliding foot ends up on the board it started on. Of course depending on how close your ball comes to your sliding ankle the center of the ball could be anywhere from board 25 to board 30.