Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Low backswing??

Chats: 25

Default Low backswing??

I'll upload video of this tomorrow, but basically my backswing feels like it's going a lot higher than it actually is. I'd like to get it higher, at least parallel with the floor. Right now, it's only going about 1/2 way up to parallel with the floor. Anyone have this same problem? How did you overcome it?

Also, I got a new wrist brace today and it helped BIG TIME with my consistency. Now I'd just like to get my swing up high enough to put some speed on the ball. Right now I throw it about 12mph which is pretty slow. It works, I get a decent amount of strikes, but I'm concerned that on a lane with some actual oil on it I'll need to get the ball spinning and moving faster.

I'll add video to this thread tomorrow - it's getting to be close to bed time over here.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Bend at the knees and waist more during the stance and approach. Ideally you want the backswing parallel to the floor & coming down when the slide foot hits flat on the floor
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Chats: 19

Push ups, my man! hahaha. That's what I did! I had a small back swing and I was using mostly arm strength to get the ball down the lane. Most of that was because I was big, fat and lazy and (as embarrassing as it is to say) getting the ball further back would have required more strength than I had at the time. You probably don't have that problem. Once I started working out on a regular basis, and had grown some triceps, it became easier to get the ball further back. I DID have to make the effort to remember to draw it back further than I was used to. My scores struggled for a little bit, because it was a foreign movement that I had never really done before. Once I was used to it, it helps dramatically.

You will notice more speed AND (more importantly) you will notice more ball control! Why? Because it feels like (to me, at least) gravity is doing most of the work in generating the ball speed. With my old release my biceps (which I didn't really have to begin with, but that's a different story!) had to generate the power. Now gravity takes over and does most of the work generating the speed, while my arm simply concentrates on getting the ball going in the right direction. Yes, my arm is STILL giving it some power, but not as much as it had to in the past.

I know exactly what you're talking about, and I hope that helps!
    Not helping the situation since 1983.

Bowling Average: 180
    Bowling Handicap: Beer
    Bowling Style: Completely Wheels Off
    Righty / Lefty: Righty
    Bowling Balls: Lane #1 Droid (Strike Ball), Storm Crossroad (Strike Ball. I hate the smell...), Hammer No Mercy (Retired Strike Ball. We had a good run. RIP, old friend!), Ebonite Magnum (Spare Ball), Ebonite Maxim (Spare Ball)
    Best Game: 267
    Best Series: 695 (just 5 more pins... I don't wanna talk about it!)

Chats: 25

OK, here's the video - this is my typical strike shot right now.

It works, but looks awful. I know if I can get a more "professional" looking swing, I'll get better results. The question is how do I get there? Bill's advice is always sound so I will give those things a try. As for the pushups, well... I don't know how helpful that would be, but it couldn't hurt to get in better shape I suppose. Anyway, if anyone has any other pointers for me, that haven't already been mentioned, feel free!

Chats: 19

hahahaha. Yeah, I was just saying that's what worked for me. But you have to remember, I was HORRIBLY out of shape, so adding the proper muscles just made it easier to bring the ball back further.

No matter what you choose to do, I believe it's like anything else: Repetition is key. It's all about the process of taking the unfamiliar and committing it to muscle memory until it's familiar.

Working out helped me dramatically in a lot of areas (golf too!), BUT it was only a small part of the change. The rest came from a substantial effort to change my ways.
    Not helping the situation since 1983.

Bowling Average: 180
    Bowling Handicap: Beer
    Bowling Style: Completely Wheels Off
    Righty / Lefty: Righty
    Bowling Balls: Lane #1 Droid (Strike Ball), Storm Crossroad (Strike Ball. I hate the smell...), Hammer No Mercy (Retired Strike Ball. We had a good run. RIP, old friend!), Ebonite Magnum (Spare Ball), Ebonite Maxim (Spare Ball)
    Best Game: 267
    Best Series: 695 (just 5 more pins... I don't wanna talk about it!)

Blog Entries

Lower the ball in your stance. You are pushing it in front of your face. This causes two things 1. the ball ends up blocking your sight to the target 2. the back swing shortens to keep the timing that you're use to.
    Keep your elbow tight to your side like you are. Upper arm perpendicular to the floor and lower arm parallel to the floor. On a 4 step approach unbend your arm into the swing so it's straight as your left foot hits the floor in front of you. Combined with getting lower you will have a nice back swing and a lot better ball speed and revs.
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Key Bowling Staff Member

IBPSIA member

Banned
    Chats: 68

Bill, one quick thing I see related to the length of the backswing.

To achieve a higher backswing he has to either drop or open his shoulder.

Drop like Slowinski says, or open like Petraglia does.

Bending more (getting lower) only gives the illusion of a higher backswing.

Blog Entries

Lowering the ball in the stance usually results in a higher back swing. Being a Slowinski and Baker disciple, I teach to drop the shoulder. The spine tilt usually allows a natural shoulder drop that is easily reproduced.
    Mike, you're very good at this. Have you considered coaching? There are many young bowlers who could benefit from your educated insights. Old ones too but they are usually more stubborn lol
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Key Bowling Staff Member

IBPSIA member

Dip forward around the second step when the ball is near the ground, that should make it go back farther.
    What do you need a high backswing for?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LonelyBowler View Post
    Dip forward around the second step when the ball is near the ground, that should make it go back farther.
    What do you need a high backswing for?
    The head should never go beyond the knee when both are forward. The back swing should ideally get to at least parallel. Only two players in the top 100 in the history of the PBA/ABC had a back swing that didn't get to at least parallel. Did you watch the video? AZBowla's back swing is a lot lower than normal and extremely lower than ideal. Can he get away bowling a league with it? Sure. Be competitive at higher level tournaments? No sir. To be competitive at the higher levels all facets of the game have to be close to sound including proper timing and control. AZbowla has posted many times how he wants to improve. The only way to truly improve is to identify (which he has) a weakness and improve upon it.
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Key Bowling Staff Member

IBPSIA member

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast