Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: SouthpawTRK's scores

Being that today was my birthday and that I had the day off, I naturally went to the lanes. It was the late afternoon before I had time to head out to go bowl. Due to the time of day and the fact that my wife and I were going out to dinner, I opted to go to another house since it was closer to my house (I would much rather have gone to my home lanes). Well, I get to the center and I get a lane in my lucky number. Well, about the middle of the first game, I noticed that there were some nicks/chunks missing from my bowling ball. I showed the front desk what happened to my ball, so they decided to move me to another lane. I was a little perturbed about the ball return machine chewing up my ball (which only had about 60 games on it), but realized that there are far worse things in the world than a nicked up ball. I figured that it's about due for a session in the rejuvenator oven and a resurface; so it's not the end of the world. I decided to play the first game in series as a regular game. The second and third game, I tried to shoot spares only; somewhat successful, but still needs some work. Here's what I shot for the day:

186, 118, 98
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums
    In the bag: DV8 (Misfit, Zombie), Roto Grip (Disturbed, Wrecker), Storm (Hy-Road Pearl, Ice, IQ Tour Pearl, Sync, Tropical Breeze)
    High league game: 256. High league series: 618 PAP: 3 1/2" over 1" up

I should have taken the day off from bowling practice; I felt fatigued and overall low on energy. However, since I had the day off, I decided to go bowl a handful of games; considering that we have league tomorrow. I was an open frame machine; couldn't shake off the bad shots. My timing was all over the place and my frustration level was through the roof. By the end of the practice session, I could not wait to go home. As I was packing up my gear, another bowler next to me started up a conversation. We talked about bowling, technique and the influence that Tony Reyes had on the bowling community. After our conversation, it "reset" my mood and I left the bowling center a happy camper. Here's what I shot for the day:

124, 146, 114

117, 140, 122
    In the bag: DV8 (Misfit, Zombie), Roto Grip (Disturbed, Wrecker), Storm (Hy-Road Pearl, Ice, IQ Tour Pearl, Sync, Tropical Breeze)

League tonight was a lot like league last week; two terrible games and one good game. I did have a few more pins this week than last week, but I'm only talking a handful. We were down a team mate and managed to win 2 of the 4 points. The two positive points of the night were a game over 200 and winning some cash for the strike out pot. Here's what I shot for the night:

144, 202, 137

Even with two horrible games, the 202 game helped keep me a little above my average. At the end of the night, I am of the mindset that I'm not going to buy another ball for for a while. I think I've been too fixated on what ball I should buy and not working on the fundamentals of the game.

Chats: 256

Happy Belated Birthday!!

I applaud your statement of not buying another ball. A new ball doesn't magically improve your scores. Working on your fundamentals will go a long way to improving your scores than a new ball would. Keep it up!!
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Thanks vdubtx!!! I need to start working on the fundamentals to increase my average/skill set. It's difficult not to look/read/see new bowling balls, but I figure that I can "reward" myself if I reach my goal at the end of the season.

Tonight at league started off with a great first game, but then my bad tendencies came back and I became a open frame machine; couldn't score a mark to save my life. The last game I was trying to bowl with a clear head, but I could not bring it together. Here's what I shot for the night:

188, 149, 128

I'm going to be bowing in a memorial tournament relatively soon, so I figured that I'd get in as much practice that I can this week. I figured if I can get the lanes each night this week and roll a series to work on a consistent release and working on picking up spares, that I should hopefully have a decent showing at the tournament. When I go tomorrow, I'm going to ask the front desk if they can turn off the score sheet; I try not to concentrate on it, but it's hard not to look up at it. Release and spares need a lot of work; ended up pulling shots and missing spares. Here's what I shot for the night:

142, 187, 134

Besides working on release and spares, I was trying to get into the habit of keeping an open mind of moving my feet and target.

Went out to practice at my home lanes to work on the basics; timing, free swing, release and picking up spares. I told myself that I would only practice for a series, but after the series was said and done, it still felt like I was not warmed up. I know that this may sound ludicrous, but sometimes it feels like it takes a while before I groove my swing. So I ended up bowling two series; here's what I shot for the night:

134, 154, 139

170, 208, 157

Since my thumb to be always shrinking or swelling, I put a piece of white tape on the front of my thumb hole and a piece of black tape on the back of my thumb hole. After the first series was over, I took out the white thumb tape and left the black tape inside. Seemed like my thumb was releasing better after taking out the white tape; but that just is probably coincidence.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthpawTRK View Post
    When I go tomorrow, I'm going to ask the front desk if they can turn off the score sheet; I try not to concentrate on it, but it's hard not to look up at it.

I was wondering if they could do that. I think it would be great for practice!

I was trying to get into the habit of keeping an open mind of moving my feet and target.
    Yes! Good point. I figured that out a little late Sunday practice at an AMF center that I've never bowled at before. Had a decent 1st game 175. Then some splits started creeping in. (7-10 yikes, then 4-7-10. Almost picked it up, hit 4-7, 4 went sliding across just in front of the 10!)

I had it in my head that I had to move left. But it wasn't working. I remembered that Liz Johnson was playing the 7-8-9ish boards at the Open. So, I moved right, feet and target, and strike-strike to finish the 2nd game at 151.

Love your Avatar! Very nice!!
    Last edited by Bunny; 10-01-2013 at 12:09 PM.

@Bunny: Good job on finishing strong on your second game!!! Thanks for the compliment on my avatar; Tony Reyes did so much for the sport of bowling.

My plan was to practice at least one series per day until the day of the memorial tournament. I went to practice on Sunday and Monday, but was not able to get out Tuesday; just got a little too late. I headed out today to practice all the basics; I'm just looking for solid consistent throws. Strikes will come, but I still need to work on my spares. I bowled two series today and did one entire game using the one step drill (which I find very helpful). Here's what I shot for the day:

170, 115, 155

151, 151, 157

The second game of the first series was plagued with splits that I could not convert and some spares that I did not pick up. This day of practice seemed like it helped in some areas, but other areas still need a lot of work.

Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast