Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sad Night for Boxing

Chats: 326

Quote Originally Posted by ArtVandelay View Post
    Cortez (the ref that night, if memory serves) didn't even seem to be WATCHING when that hit landed. It looked like he was turned to the scorers table. It seemed WWF-ish to me. I didn't understand why Ortiz headbutted him when he was clearly winning that round. He was down the whole night, and he was starting to put something together, and that round he wasn't just winning it, he looked DOMINANT, and to then do something to intentionally dock yourself a point... Seemed fixed, and I don't want to believe that for a second.
    Yeah, Cortez really made everything look worse! He did say he clearly said "Fight!" and obviously he was heard by Mayweather, and some ring bystanders, but why did he look away!? That gave that whole situation a terrible appearance, because everyone had thought he never said "Fight!". It's kinda funny you say WWF-ish, because now that you mention it, it did kinda look like that. Where the ref looks away, and the "wrestlers" try to do something sneaky, and the ref acts like he had no idea.

I thought the same, though. Ortiz was firing off a pretty nice combo and had Mayweather on the ropes (albeit not hurting him too badly), but then he did that jumping head butt for WHATEVER reason. What a stupid moment.

Chats: 19

Quote Originally Posted by JaMau24 View Post
    Before I read the rest of your post, I want to start by saying, I meant "was he ever that great of a 'person' (like you built him up to be)"? Yes, I know he was a great fighter. I wasn't saying he never was a great fighter. Anyway, going to continue reading.
    Who knows for sure...? I'd like to believe he believes what he says. I'd like to think he really is who he says he is now. I think people can change. I think that over the last 4 or so years his perception has been that of the good guy, and Mayweather is the bad guy. You said he had his trouble, and I've actually heard that too, but I've never actually seen anything in writing. I didn't research it too much (the Patriots are playing, and my attention is there...) but his wikipedia page has no mention of his boozing days, cheating, or anything like that. Like I said, I had heard of that too, but nothing more than a glancing comment, and of all the people I know who follow boxing you're the first to truly suggest he might not be what he would like us to believe he is. And you may be right, but...

Sometimes I think we believe what we want to believe. You're right: Would boxing be as much fun without Mayweather? Every good story needs a protagonist and an antagonist. Maybe believing we have that is enough for most people, and I guess I'd have to include myself in that category.
    Not helping the situation since 1983.

Bowling Average: 180
    Bowling Handicap: Beer
    Bowling Style: Completely Wheels Off
    Righty / Lefty: Righty
    Bowling Balls: Lane #1 Droid (Strike Ball), Storm Crossroad (Strike Ball. I hate the smell...), Hammer No Mercy (Retired Strike Ball. We had a good run. RIP, old friend!), Ebonite Magnum (Spare Ball), Ebonite Maxim (Spare Ball)
    Best Game: 267
    Best Series: 695 (just 5 more pins... I don't wanna talk about it!)

Chats: 326

Quote Originally Posted by ArtVandelay View Post
    Who knows for sure...? I'd like to believe he believes what he says. I'd like to think he really is who he says he is now. I think people can change. I think that over the last 4 or so years his perception has been that of the good guy, and Mayweather is the bad guy. You said he had his trouble, and I've actually heard that too, but I've never actually seen anything in writing. I didn't research it too much (the Patriots are playing, and my attention is there...) but his wikipedia page has no mention of his boozing days, cheating, or anything like that. Like I said, I had heard of that too, but nothing more than a glancing comment, and of all the people I know who follow boxing you're the first to truly suggest he might not be what he would like us to believe he is. And you may be right, but...

Sometimes I think we believe what we want to believe. You're right: Would boxing be as much fun without Mayweather? Every good story needs a protagonist and an antagonist. Maybe believing we have that is enough for most people, and I guess I'd have to include myself in that category.
    Like I said, I too, believe people can change, and he seemingly has changed. I think he's a good guy, that represents a lot of good things, and does a lot of good things for people, but he hasn't always been a saint.

Here is an article you haven't yet found that talks about his troubles and his rise from his past troubles -- http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...9967/index.htm

Chats: 19

I guess the media made him out to be the good guy. I skimmed over the article. I was blind to all of that. His public persona would never suggest those traits and struggles. Mayweather leaves no doubt in your mind, however. If anything, perhaps Mayweather is LESS of a thug than most would want to believe. I do believe he is smarter than most people think. I guess the jail time and his words are what causes that to not be seen.
    Not helping the situation since 1983.

Bowling Average: 180
    Bowling Handicap: Beer
    Bowling Style: Completely Wheels Off
    Righty / Lefty: Righty
    Bowling Balls: Lane #1 Droid (Strike Ball), Storm Crossroad (Strike Ball. I hate the smell...), Hammer No Mercy (Retired Strike Ball. We had a good run. RIP, old friend!), Ebonite Magnum (Spare Ball), Ebonite Maxim (Spare Ball)
    Best Game: 267
    Best Series: 695 (just 5 more pins... I don't wanna talk about it!)

Chats: 0

cool thread.

I love boxing and have since I was watching Ali and later Larry Holmes on TV...for free no less.

I always was a Manny fan as I like his style. I think he could have given Mayweather a run for his money when he was in his prime (read "when mayweather wouldn't fight him).

Mayweather is a great boxer to be sure but way overrated and an arroggant jerk. He and his camp have nearly always picked fighters who are either in way over their heads (like Ortiz) or on the down side of their careers (Mosely, De La Hoya etc.) Zab Judah was the only guy I remember him fighting that was in his prime and Judah gave him lots of trouble in the first part of their fight. I havent seen Floyd taking on to many highly ranked lefties since then. Plus he is just a huge arrogant jerkoff. Watching him fight Arturo Gatti was a joke...Gatti was as slow as molassess.....and way past his heyday.

I enjoy good MMA bouts as well. The days of undisciplined brawling in the higher levels of the sport is mostly over. The top atheletes are skilled fighters in many disciplines....They look a little wild at times but that is mostly a result of the bouts being much shorter and more dangerous from a getting knocked out perspective. I appreciate the skill and courage that good MMA fighters display. It (like boxing) is a dangerous business.

But I do love boxing over any sport period !!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12