Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: My son's (Bizwan Jr.) bowling scores vs. stiffer competition.

Chats: 19

Sorry... Late to this thread, had to read it from post 1!

Quote Originally Posted by Bizwan65 View Post
    That's the impression I get. He goes to a Vo-tech school. The head bowling coach is a marketing teacher and runs the school store. The assistant 'coach' cares more about the snack bar items. They just seems to be there for the extra cash.
    I'd imagine this would be more common than you'd think. I know my HS in Texas (4A, which was considered rather large, but not the biggest. We graduated about 280 in my senior class) didn't even HAVE a bowling team. A club formed, but I think they were gone within a month or two due to lack of interest and trouble fining a reliable teacher/sponsor. I had a co-worker who went to a different school district, and they DID have a bowling team, but no coach, they just had a volunteer who would record scores. That kid...

I thought he was so full of it! hahahaha. He would talk to us at work about this Camero his brother in law bought for him, but he didn't have it for about a month, because it was having some "work done to it," and wasn't ready. Sure enough, a month later he shows up in a highly modified (engine only) 1992 Camero and he drove that every day from there on out (NOT his parents, for sure).

Then he would talk about his 230 bowling average and invite for some kind of national bowling team try out. Suuuuuure, kid... Then I went bowling with him. His low game was a 260 something on dried up house lanes during free bowl. Then he bowled one game completely through his legs. Every shot, and still registered about a 180.

Never once caught him in a lie. Actually, he was just a good kid with unbelievable stories that would later turn out to be true! hahahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Bizwan65 View Post
    Your son is very wise! That is a great Santa hat!
    Not helping the situation since 1983.

Bowling Average: 180
    Bowling Handicap: Beer
    Bowling Style: Completely Wheels Off
    Righty / Lefty: Righty
    Bowling Balls: Lane #1 Droid (Strike Ball), Storm Crossroad (Strike Ball. I hate the smell...), Hammer No Mercy (Retired Strike Ball. We had a good run. RIP, old friend!), Ebonite Magnum (Spare Ball), Ebonite Maxim (Spare Ball)
    Best Game: 267
    Best Series: 695 (just 5 more pins... I don't wanna talk about it!)

Chats: 7

Saturday youth league vs. the little kids again. Again it's the mental game and spare shooting that trip him up. He made the proper ball choice after warm ups. Lanes were dry so he went with his Storm Tropical Breeze over his Tropical Heat. Started out with a double, then went 5 opens before a rally to finish with a 142. Second game was off the charts for him with a personal best 202. Then the mental block and poor spare shooting kicked in and he fell on his face with a 95. Overall not bad for him 142-202-95=439. Clearly still a work in progress.
    Arsenal: 14# Storm Tropical Heat Orange/Purple; 14# 900 Global Hook! Red/Yellow Solid; 14# 900 Global Train; 14# Brunswick Twister Urethane; 12# Brunswick "The Pearl" plastic.

HS varsity match. Up and down today. 182-147-113=442. Spare shooting issues reared its ugly head again. Missed 7 of 8 single pin spares (only one of which was a 10 pin) among other spares missed. They beat one of the teams they were tied for first with by a score of 3-1. Tuesday they play the other team they were tied for first with. One of his team mates rolled the front 10. Finished with a 289.
    Arsenal: 14# Storm Tropical Heat Orange/Purple; 14# 900 Global Hook! Red/Yellow Solid; 14# 900 Global Train; 14# Brunswick Twister Urethane; 12# Brunswick "The Pearl" plastic.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Have you noticed a particluar reason for the single pin misses? Does he throw a hook at them?
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Yes he tries to hook to most spares. He can't seem to find the right line. He usually starts with his line too far outside and slides by on the right. They he tries to flatten his line out and slides by on the left. Then the frustration kicks in and he's toast. I couldn't see how he was lining up today so I'm not sure what the problem was. I'm trying not to get to involved at this point because I don't know enough and he tunes me out, especially when he's frustrated.

The youth league coach worked a couple of weeks ago a little on his spare shooting, mostly 10 pins, and he seemed to get it during that practice session. Didn't seem to retain it by his next league match the following week. A couple of his travel league coaches saw his struggles today and are going to work with him. Just need to find a convenient time.

Blog Entries

sparechart.jpg

See if his coaches have this sheet. It works pretty well for most of the kids.
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Key Bowling Staff Member

IBPSIA member

Cool. Thanks Bill. Appreciate your continued input.

Blog Entries

Your welcome. I enjoy seeing and reading about kids doing well in the sport. Spare shooting is difficult and frustrating enough for adults nevermind for kids.
    I've used that spare system (3-6-9) for years with good results. It's why I don't even have to think about where my feet go or target is. Some people's depth perception is different so don't be afraid to try variations like a 2-4-6 or 4-8-12.
    Good luck to both of you as I know you will try it too!
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Key Bowling Staff Member

IBPSIA member

Tomorrow is his youth league against the little kids. After he is finished league we'll bowl a few practice games. He can bowl his games and I'll have him shoot my spares for the extra practice using the system provided by Bill.

Blog Entries

I passed out that same sheet the first day of our youth league. The following week I saw several parents in their leagues with that paper on the table.
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Key Bowling Staff Member

IBPSIA member

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast