Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: My son's (Bizwan Jr.) bowling scores vs. stiffer competition.

Chats: 7

Default My son's (Bizwan Jr.) bowling scores vs. stiffer competition.

Background: 15 years old, 5'3" 100 lbs soaking wet. He has been bowling for slightly over 1 year. He bowled in a youth league last year and on his HS bowling team (all JV level). He finished the year with an average between 105-110. This year he has been bowling in an unsanctioned youth league against kids younger than him. He is also bowling in HS again this year and he just joined a youth travel league filling a vacancy on a team (hasn't bowled yet). His league and practice average prior to the start of the current HS season was 120.

Scores:
    12/4/12 139-154-164=457 (anchor of JV team)

12/5/12 188-133-126=447 (Anchor of JV team)

12/10/12 143-148-152=443 (Lead Off of Varsity)

12/11/12 136-127-137=400 (Lead Off of Varsity)

So his overall HS average is 145 (150 on JV and 140 on Varsity). Small sample size but the better competition seems to agree with him. Tomorrow is youth league and Sunday is his first travel league match.
    Arsenal: 14# Storm Tropical Heat Orange/Purple; 14# 900 Global Hook! Red/Yellow Solid; 14# 900 Global Train; 14# Brunswick Twister Urethane; 12# Brunswick "The Pearl" plastic.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

The HS bowls three games there? In Ohio they bowl two individual games and then Baker games. A friend bowled a 597 series last year. He was stoked when I saw him a day later. I looked and said, "Only a 597. Boy you had an off day, huh?" I completely forgot they only bowled two games. I was impressed with the 297 AFTER a 300, no real drop off.

Your son has some respectable scores for his age. Are the coaches working with him? His inconsistency shows the potential for a much higher average. The travel league should be fun and a real confidence boost. Best of luck to him.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Thanks Bill.

There's the rub. His HS 'coach' isn't a coach. She just sits there and manages the team, badly (IMHO) and writes the scores down. That really bothers me, that they no coaching on a HS team. He has been getting some help from one of his team mates and his father. They are both certified coaches. They are the ones that invited him to join the travel league.

He gets a little instruction on Saturday mornings. When he starts his travel league, he'll be getting more coaching (there is 1 coach for every 5 person team).

He mostly has figured things out on his own. I've tried to guide him as best I can, but I'm sure I've probably done more harm than good. LOL

Proud of him. I think he's come a long way in a year.
    Arsenal: 14# Storm Tropical Heat Orange/Purple; 14# 900 Global Hook! Red/Yellow Solid; 14# 900 Global Train; 14# Brunswick Twister Urethane; 12# Brunswick "The Pearl" plastic.

Yes around here (South Jersey), they bowl 5 person teams. Each person bowls 3 games plus total pins for 4 possible total match points. All scratch. His team is doing good through 4 matches. They are 3-1.

Quote Originally Posted by Bizwan65 View Post
    Yes around here (South Jersey), they bowl 5 person teams. Each person bowls 3 games plus total pins for 4 possible total match points. All scratch. His team is doing good through 4 matches. They are 3-1.
    I'm pretty sure that's how it is in all of NJ. I live in Monmouth County (Central Jersey) and it's five-person teams, three scratch games.

Our coach didn't seem to care too much about helping us. Not that he really knew anything about bowling. He was also the head football coach and just looking for a paycheck doing some easy work.

That's the impression I get. He goes to a Vo-tech school. The head bowling coach is a marketing teacher and runs the school store. The assistant 'coach' cares more about the snack bar items. They just seems to be there for the extra cash.

Saturday Youth league today. These little kids really get in his head. Bowled a good first game, 140, no strikes but 6 spares. Second game not so much, 115 with 2 strikes and 2 spares. His opponent today didn't throw hard enough for the catch fence to come down half the time and was getting strikes. Really bothered my son. He rebounded some in the 3rd game with a 136, 1 strike and 5 spares. Overall, 140-115-136=391. Over his league average (122) but not as good as he has been bowling recently. Travel league tomorrow.

First travel league match today. He was nervous. Meeting his new teammates for the first time. All things considered he did okay.

138-127-134=399

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

This is only my opinion and hopefully things will change soon! High school bowling is still relatively new. Athletic directors have small budgets for sports that don't generate income. Sorry but bowling falls into that category. So instead of paying a decent salary for certified coaches, they hire current staff with little to no knowledge. The case of my local high school, the didn't renew the contract of the previous coach. She was Bronze certified and a gym teacher at one of the elementary schools. Her release was warranted without going into details. The AD and board of education think the coach should be a member of the faculty. That and the fact the position only pays $3,000 a year kept me out of the position. They hired a new teacher for the position. He bowled in youth league so knows how to keep score. He admits that's the extent of his knowledge.
    I wanted to help the kids, that was the driving force behind me getting certified. I was petrified of making them worse without the proper training. I also have this burning desire to bring the team to state. Luckily my work with the kids and free lessons for the HS team, the parents are quickly saying I should get the position, faculty or not. They like the fact that I want to win but not at all cost. Fun is always the first priority. I also spend time talking the kids into thinking about college and maybe even a scholarship if they are willing to work hard enough to get the most out of their potential.
    I'm moving closer to the alley this month. Now to find a job with cooperating hours lol
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Unfortunately athletics seems to be an afterthought at my sons school. Admittedly it's a vocational school so a higher percentage of students are focused on their career majors instead of athletics. If you are going to have an athletics program you should strive to be the best you can be.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast