Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beat Your Coach Day

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Default Beat Your Coach Day

Today our youth leagues had beat your coach day. We coaches got to bowl with ( against ) the kids. We were supposed to change pairs after each game, but my first game went so slowly that the kids on the pair I was moving to had to wait for me to finish. By the time we finished the second game the teams on the next pair over were well into the third game.

Except for a few whiffed 10 pins and chopped multi-pin spare I didn't embarrass my self too badly.
    John

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Did any of the kids you bowled beat you? Sounds like fun to me.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Chats: 506

i remember when we did that my coach youth coach had a 200+ avg and was a awesome bowler so calm all the time no shot was un doable to him or so it seemed
    Stroker
    Ball Speed : 17mph Rev Rate : 300-325 PAP : 4 1/2
    Balls : Hammer Taboo Deep Purple Roto Grip Shatter Roto Grip Scream Hammer absolute hook
    Avg 182 high game 291 High series 709
    bowling 2 leagues and everyday i can

Member ID: 9407-9357

Bowling Guru

Quote Originally Posted by billf View Post
    Did any of the kids you bowled beat you? Sounds like fun to me.
    If I understood the announcement at the start of bowling if any of the junior's beat any coach's score, they will be credited for having beaten their coach, even if the coach was on another pair. I think that those of us coaches who don't have a 200+ average were supposed to get handicap. I let the kids on my first pair of lanes vote on whether I would bowl right handed or left. They picked right handed, and my only right hand average from the last 2 years is my current sport league average of 168, so I'm not sure what my handicap was. I started off well with a 192, which I'm pretty sure that even with handicap was beaten by a girl on my pair whose score with handicap was 211. Second game started with a whiffed 10 pin followed by a pretty good looking ball that left the 4-6. I managed to throw a 168 that game and earn all but one of the kids on that pair an "I Beat My Coach". Decided to throw only my White Dot the last game and had a respectable 179.

It was a lot of fun, especially when one of the kids tried to trash talk me during warm ups.
    John

Blog Entries

I will admit, I have about 4 or 5 kids that may be able to beat me. I'm talking scratch too. Some of these kids really get it and it's a beautiful thing to watch.
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Key Bowling Staff Member

IBPSIA member

Bowling Guru

I will admit, I have about 4 or 5 kids that may be able to beat me. I'm talking scratch too. Some of these kids really get it and it's a beautiful thing to watch.
    Several of our older youth bowlers also bowl in the sport league on Monday nights. Two weeks ago, one of them beat me 197 to 193 on Cheetah, scratch! And he's the one who has been having the hardest time adjusting to the sport league.
    John

Blog Entries

A lot of negative things are said about the children of today,as I imagine is done with every generation. Yet I'm continually amazed at how some can manage to take a little advice and show such amazing ability. Even in the afternoons, with the lessons and helping with homework, I'm convinced most want to succeed and just need some guidance and someone to show they believe in them.
    Don't take me wrong. I'm not blaming the parents. As a kid I never wanted to take my parents advice either and that still hasn't changed. Our roles, as adults shouldn't and can't be to just worry about our own families but also the children of our neighbors and friends too. It's time we took this "me, me me" society and turned it into "me helping society".
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Key Bowling Staff Member

IBPSIA member

Bowling Guru

A lot of negative things are said about the children of today,as I imagine is done with every generation. Yet I'm continually amazed at how some can manage to take a little advice and show such amazing ability. Even in the afternoons, with the lessons and helping with homework, I'm convinced most want to succeed and just need some guidance and someone to show they believe in them.
    Don't take me wrong. I'm not blaming the parents. As a kid I never wanted to take my parents advice either and that still hasn't changed. Our roles, as adults shouldn't and can't be to just worry about our own families but also the children of our neighbors and friends too. It's time we took this "me, me me" society and turned it into "me helping society".
    "As a kid I never wanted to take my parents advice either and that still hasn't changed." As much as I like having parents come bring their kids on Saturday morning and watch them bowl, I can think of three or four of them that I'd love to send over to the diner for an hour while the kids bowl. These parents are giving their kids negative feedback almost every time the kid doesn't mark.

"someone to show they believe in them." It's amazing how many times when I make a comment like "I know you can make this spare" or "you know you can make this shot", whether it's a child I'm coaching or an adult that I'm competing against, they will succeed. Even if they had been making negative comments about their ability to do so earlier.
    John

Blog Entries

I was attempting to show one kid the proper athletic stance. His father, who bowls league and has for many, many years, came over and had the kid stand with his feet shoulder width apart. He pushed his shoulder and said, "see, that's balanced. You can't be pushed over." I walked away saying nothing. I went over to some of the other kids. In front of five 230+ average parents he tried to chew me out. When he started to get loud I calmly interrupted him, "Eric, calm down. If that's how you want your son to bowl that's fine with me. That's why I walked away. Now, the only question you really need to ask and this is to yourself, do you want to teach him what you've learned over the last 25+ years and yet still only average 130 or do you want him to learn the right way so he can maximize his potential?"
    I walked away again before he could speak. Every parent gave me a pat on the back as I passed them. Two weeks ago Eric asked me how much I charge to coach. I told him the kids are free. He said, "Not the kids. It's for me." I guess in the end, I even won him over.
    This past Saturday one of the kids was crying. Tough kid crying on the approach. His dad is one of the 230+ guys. This kid is the youngest and only male of a great bowling family. We talked then and there and will again. He was upset because he hasn't had what he considers a good game in two months. He is 12 and is averaging 183 for the season. His dad thanked me later saying the kids really trust me, even beyond bowling. His dad is a good guy, good coach but his own son doesn't listen to the same thing coming from him. Kids are like bowling: frustrating as hell but you wouldn't trade them for anything.
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Key Bowling Staff Member

IBPSIA member

Chats: 1

Beat your coach day. Is that the same as leasing your coach out for a Mexican birthday party? -"Johhny, you hold the bat. Here's the blindfold. Now, here Coach, You hold the candy."
    Last edited by GeoLes; 12-19-2012 at 11:20 AM.
    I live by three simples rules:

1. Don't ever ask about my business
    2. Never discuss business at the table
    3. Don't ever side with anyone against the family

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast