Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Anyone see the WSOB Cheetah championship today?

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by got_a_300 View Post
    Talk about having a weird approach has anyone ever watched Wayne Garber bowl?
    Of coarse his weird approach is from him having an accident and hurting his leg or
    was it his knee.

If I remember correctly it was both knees falling on a set of stairs. His doctors initially thought the damage was so bad he wouldn't be able to walk again.
    John

Ringer
    Chats: 23

Garber isn't too bad, although I remember reading that you never want to stop in your approach. It should be a fluid movement through the approach. Stopping and starting throws off timing, I watch guys in my league do this every week.

I guess knowing a guys background would go an awful long way on explaining things. Maybe they should explain this stuff in the telecasts. It would be great to hear instead of Randy Pederson mentioning how every guy has "Maple Moxy".
    Equipment:
    Motiv: Forza, Forza Redine, Venom Shock, Tag
    Storm: Sky Rocket
    Track 100P Spare Ball

To be drilled: Motiv Jackal

Quote Originally Posted by scottymoney View Post
    Garber isn't too bad, although I remember reading that you never want to stop in your approach. It should be a fluid movement through the approach. Stopping and starting throws off timing, I watch guys in my league do this every week.

I guess knowing a guys background would go an awful long way on explaining things. Maybe they should explain this stuff in the telecasts. It would be great to hear instead of Randy Pederson mentioning how every guy has "Maple Moxy".
    Totally agree!! I'm lucky to even be able to walk, much less bowl, but I am a fighter!! I refuse to let my handicap keep me down!!
    It's the only way to really deal with such a bad break in life, you have to recover, get back up & find ways to deal with it & keep living
    doing the things you enjoy most.

Every time I start feeling sorry for myself & getting down about it, I think of those guys who keep on doing what I am doing,
    yet they lost there legs all together serving there country in the military.

Those guys encourage me more than anything!! If they can recover, and get use to artificial
    limbs & re-learn how to walk and do what they love doing...Then I have no reason to lay down and give up!!

When the day comes that I cannot stand or walk, I will still go bowling in my wheel chair!! Might only be in league, but I'll be bowling!!
    Last edited by Trex; 01-03-2013 at 03:13 PM. Reason: error
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Chats: 25

I'm sure there's quite a few pro's out there who never make the telecasts but still bring home some decent paychecks out of it. I think Roche is one of those pro's and just got lucky and struck gold on the Cheetah pattern that day. Despite his style being classified as an "octopus falling out of a tree" Jeff Roche took home $7100 for that performance. I'd like to do that "badly" myself some day. Entry into the WSOB was what, $750 or so? So he basically made $5500for one week's worth of "work". I don't care who you are, that's good money right there. Let's say his hotel room and whatever other expenses were another $1000. He still cleaned up.

I'm tempted to try the WSOB myself some day. Non members can enter for $750 and there's plenty of places to stay in Vegas for not much coin if you're willing to stay in a place that's not on the strip. All I need is the cash and a league average of 200 or better. Who knows, maybe you guys will see me on TV some day and laugh at how crappy I do lol...
    Last edited by AZBowla; 01-03-2013 at 04:54 PM. Reason: I suck at math, lol

I think that it's not how you bowl that is important. It's the score you make. Who ever make a PBA telecast here?
    Brunswick T-Zone
    Brunswick C-System Alpha-Max
    Brunswick Wild Card
    Storm Streamline 3 ball roller

I have another correction to make, upon further reading up, I found that you must be a full PBA member (or international WTBA member) to enter the WSOB. So I guess that's another goal to achieve first, but I would love to try this one year. If nothing else it's an interesting item to have on one's bucket list. I don't care if I got last place, I'd just love to be able to say I've bowled in the WSOB against the top pro's out there. That would be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by v33dubfox View Post
    I think that it's not how you bowl that is important. It's the score you make.
    Yes and no. Sure, you can bowl like a weirdo and get lucky once in a while, but I'd rather bowl more like the guys who consistently make the show (and the prize money that goes along with it). If all it took was putting up a high score once in a blue moon then we could all be PBA bowlers. The thing that separates us from them is that they (the good ones anyway) can do it consistently. I can bowl over 200, I've done it several times, but I am not yet to the point where I consistently score over 200 and that's because my bowling form is not yet consistent enough to do that. That's the difference. Plus this is on THS conditions where the margin of error is quite high. Put me on a PBA pattern and a guy like Jeff Roche will probably beat the pants off me easily. Again, it's all about being consistent, about making your best shot more often. You're right that it doesn't matter so much what your best shot looks like - what matters is can you do it nearly every time you stand on the approach?

Quote Originally Posted by v33dubfox View Post
    Who ever make a PBA telecast here?
    Not me! But if I had the money to keep entering events I bet I could just once, like Roche did. And I bet my butt would get handed to me by someone like Bill O'Neill just like Roche had his handed to him, because again, I'm not consistent enough with how I bowl and neither was he. But everyone has 15 minutes of fame and everyone has that one day where they are just unstoppable. So it could happen to any one of us, I think.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Quote Originally Posted by AZBowla View Post
    I have another correction to make, upon further reading up, I found that you must be a full PBA member (or international WTBA member) to enter the WSOB. So I guess that's another goal to achieve first, but I would love to try this one year. If nothing else it's an interesting item to have on one's bucket list. I don't care if I got last place, I'd just love to be able to say I've bowled in the WSOB against the top pro's out there. That would be fun.
    To get your PBA card all you need is a 200 league average (190 sport shot) and pay your annual dues. Keep practicing and you'll get there.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Chats: 4

Quote Originally Posted by AZBowla View Post
    So I guess that's another goal to achieve first, but I would love to try this one year. If nothing else it's an interesting item to have on one's bucket list. I don't care if I got last place, I'd just love to be able to say I've bowled in the WSOB against the top pro's out there. That would be fun.
    You could always do like I used to do back in my younger days just go and bowl in a few
    Regional PBA events and you will get to bowl with some big name PBA players. If you can
    cash in a PBA Regional tournament as a non-member then you can go for your PBA card that
    way or as billf said just keep that average up there at 200 on league or that 190 sport average.

I was in the process of getting my PBA card back in late 1998 but had to quit bowling because of
    my back injury in January of 1999 for 12½ years but now I'm making my come back to bowling since
    last fall. I'm hoping to maybe go out and bowl some senior tour or as they are calling it now days the
    PBA 50 tournaments later this year as I just don't think I could really hang with the young guns on the
    Regional level anymore and see if I can beat PDW again now that he is 50 and try my best to beat old
    dead eye WRW.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    Right handed, ex-cranker now a power tweener approx. 350 - 400 RPM's PAP 4 1/2" over 1" up high league sanctioned game 300 high league sanctioned series 788
    Bill

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234