Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Okay, I Yield. Going To Buy A Spare Ball

Chats: 1

Default Okay, I Yield. Going To Buy A Spare Ball

I have read repeatedly that I should get a spare ball, but with 4 balls already, I was hesitant to buy another. I want to boost my overall average, but I fall dwon in the spare conversion department. I can roll it pretty flat, but there's always a small break in the end I don't plan for or my body does something crazy during delivery. No I'm ready to make the jump to hyper space.

I have a question about drilling. How critical is the finger placement in a ball that has no reaction regardless of how it is placed on the lane? I know it's best to have all balls drilled identical, but I was just wondering. If I pick one up at the nearest pro shop and he measures me differently than my other balls, but the overall fit is adequate, is that a problem? Would it cause me to do somthing different in delivery than usual?
    I live by three simples rules:

1. Don't ever ask about my business
    2. Never discuss business at the table
    3. Don't ever side with anyone against the family

Chats: 0

Depending on the poly ball, layout isn't super crucial (some have more tunable weight than others) but fit is...you want it to match your other balls as closely as possible.

Even with a plastic ball, you can grab some lane and get a reaction so it's still important to learn to deliver a ball straight but they're invaluable for taking the conditions out of the shot. You can also have it drilled (if it's got a weight block) to minimize reaction.

They're so inexpensive relative to other balls, I'm always surprised more people don't keep one in an arsenal. Heck, a used one can be had for $20 why not?

Chats: 11

I was in the same situation as you and I got roll it flat and sometiems I didnt think I needed one cause it would hit soperfect but then at times at the last second bam itd hook a little and I would miss... I got my spare yesterday practiced and didnt miss the first ten... I have to workon the 3-10 a bit cause I missed right by a board or two and just got the ten but all in all I think its important to have one. but thats just my opinion
    Style: Stroker
    In the bag: C300 Wicked Encounter, C300 Freeze, Hammer Arson Hybrid, Hammer Cobalt Vibe, and Brunswick T Zone

PAP 4.25 over x .25 up

High Series: 716
    High Game: 273

Chats: 243

Thinking about getting one myself. I usually use my urethane which works 80% of the time but those times where i miss its usually due to the hook
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Storm Crossroad, Roto Grip Defiant, DV8 Too Reckless, Brunswick Avalanche Urethane

Ball Speed: 18Mph
    Rev Rate: 450
    Current average: 199
    High game: 300
    High Series: 769

Chats: 131

polyester ball DO hook on lanes.. so after all, it's rolling straight into the pins...
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums.

In the Bag:
    DV8: Hell Raiser Revenge, Diva
    Columbia300: White Dot Black Berry Polyester
    Brunswick: NeXXus f(P+R)
    Substitute Balls:
    Storm: Sure Fire
    Ebonite: Pursuit
    Retired:
    Lane 1: MaxXx Curve
    Current High Score / Series: 237 / 635
    Style: Power Tweener
    Average Score: 180

Aim for Balls:
    Misfit Pearl
    Marauder
    Brutal Nightmare

TONIGHT WE BOWL! DV8 DAMN GOOD BOWLING

Chats: 16

Bring your other ball with you that like the feel. The pro shop guy can measure it and drill it similar to your new ball.

Regarding the ball hooking at the end, have you tried moving more left to break the hook? I don't use a spare ball anymore. I use the same strike ball for the spare, but play the hook, so I move way left.
    - Ed

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________________
    Equipment: Hammer 1st Blood (RICO Layout @1500 Polished), Hammer Taboo (RICO Layout @2000 Polished), Hammer Taboo Blue/Silver (RICO Layout @4000), Storm Natural Pearl, Hammer Razyr, Ebonite Maxim

League Average (THS): 207
    High Game Score: 279 (9 in a row)
    High 3 Game Series: 788

PAP: 5 3/4 right 1/4 up
    Ball Speed: Mid 15-16 (Tweener)

I always bring another ball when i get mine drilled. Even when my guy already has my measurements. He prefers it that way too. Re-measuring is just asking for subtle differences.

Spare balls rock. They are cheap and you can work on just one shot with them. (I use mine just for the 10)
    In the Bag: Storm Marvel Pearl, Storm IQ, Columbia 300 White Dot
    In the Locker: Storm Tropical Breeze, RG Defiant, RG Bandit

Chats: 4

I use my T-Zone plastic ball for all of my single pin
    and sometimes for multiple pin leaves and break my
    wrist back and use the Joe Slowinski hand position
    on my release it feels kind of weird at first until you
    get used to using it and you'd be really surprised at
    how much straighter the ball will go using it even if
    your using a hooking ball to shoot your spares.

This is from a post by scottymoney over in the
    post of Why fear the 10? started by aussiedave

http://bowlingknowledge.info/images/...ki_june_08.pdf
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    Right handed, ex-cranker now a power tweener approx. 350 - 400 RPM's PAP 4 1/2" over 1" up high league sanctioned game 300 high league sanctioned series 788
    Bill

I've never used a spare ball; I always just use whatever ball I'm using for the first shot, but I can throw it dead-straight. If you have trouble flattening your strike ball out, it is definitely worth getting a spare ball; I'd go with plastic.

You should absolutely bring your current equipment into the pro shop so that whoever drills the new one can match your old one exactly. I can't imagine throwing spares with a ball that feels different on my hand than my strike ball.

Chats: 506

plastic balls use a pancake core meaning drill it with ur finger tips it will hook but prob at 60ft =D
    Stroker
    Ball Speed : 17mph Rev Rate : 300-325 PAP : 4 1/2
    Balls : Hammer Taboo Deep Purple Roto Grip Shatter Roto Grip Scream Hammer absolute hook
    Avg 182 high game 291 High series 709
    bowling 2 leagues and everyday i can

Member ID: 9407-9357

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast