Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Have you stopped smiling?

I smile if I have a good strike or I make a tough spare. I smile when my teammates, who are much more casual bowlers, get a strike or spare.

But if I get a Brooklyn strike or some crappy strike, I'm not too happy. I'm a perfectionist and it shows in my attitude around my own game.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 2643

Default Smile vs negative looks on FACE

Quote Originally Posted by billf View Post
    I don't smile either. I expect to do well and try to stay focused on the approach. I also don't showboat, hoot, holler or any of that other foolish stuff. I do my best to let my bowling do my talking and try to never show up my opponent. That is, until they say or do something to start it.

I cheer my teammates and even my opponents openly (while secretly hoping they throw all splits). I take my bowling seriously but still have fun. It's no different than any other sport in that regard for me. I've always practiced more than others. I had to. It was the only way I could make up for my lack of talent and still is. I started this sport late in life at 37 and have a lot of games to make up for to catch those half my age. Plus I only started getting serious about two years ago.
    What about ICEMAN, Bill??? You think you have a lot to make up, starting in your mid 30's?? What about ME,,, gulp,,, I started when I was 62, and really didn't get going to the HIGH LEVEL of bowing I am at now, until last May when I found this website! Yes less then a year, and now I am a TOP GUN!!

I am a humble bowler, and know that even if I am one of the TOP guns in their Mid 60’s, I will never forget where I came from! Smile when you’re Doing well, or even not so good! Believe me I have two mothers in nursing homes, and I see how much pain and suffering many are living with day to day existence! They are not living, but as someone on this site once said, they are existing, not LIVING

Big difference,,, they have something to not smile about,,,, but many of them,,,, Many I can get a smile out of when I joke around with them!!
    Bowing is a Sport, and winning is GREAT, but having your health, lots of money, a beautiful wife, nice car, lots of bowling equipment, and toys,,,,, that’s,,,,,,,, THAT’S my friend is what life is all about! Those things make you SMILE!!! No matter how bad, or good your bowling on any given day, ( and bowing is that kind of sport, good, bad, and ugly), Remember to keep a smile on the bill board called the HUMAN FACE!

Smiling has scientifically been proven to increase you life expectancy by 3 1/3 years! Next time your feeling down, and with a sad face, go OUT AND BUY A NEW BOWLING BALL!!! LOL (
    Last edited by MICHAEL; 12-28-2012 at 04:08 PM.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 6

Yes, I stopped smiling a while ago. It's my own fault. I started taking the game too serious, especially considering I'm not all that good. I totally changed my delivery to be more "accepted" and it became a project. I wouldn't say that I failed at my transition, but I will say I am still better at my old style, and I had more fun with the old style. I lost my temper 3 times in 4 weeks. Cursing, punching walls, even broke my phone. Bowled my old style last night, and I was smiling the whole time. So yes I lost my smile, but maybe I found it again.
    Trying not to suck, one day at a time.

I smile quite a bit. Not just in bowling, but in life. I am quick to laugh. Bowling is no different. I do however have high expectations so if I am not performing to my level I expect, I do get upset. But when I am bowling good I am always happy about it. Especially when my friends and I get into it and we are all giving each other a hard time and get competitive. Then the trash talking is even more of a reason to smile.
    Levi "Lucky" Lauck - USBC Silver Coach - U.B.A. Member

UBowling.com is a new bowling website created as a resource of bowling news, reviews and information to help grow and improve the bowling community.

Chats: 0

I'm always smiling....If I suck...I'm smiling....If Im kicking *** I'm smiling...If the other guy is rolling well I'm smiling....my league is my weekly fun day and I dont want anything to screw it up...Our league and center is in a small town type of environment...lots of the bowling league is on ly golf league also...not to many jerks or ultra competitive types.

My team is my brother and two very good (and pretty big lol) friends...if anyone cops an attitude they would want their whole team backing them and ready to rumble...I know mine would.. but its never been an issue.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12