Thread: Malfunctioning bowling lanes

Default Malfunctioning bowling lanes

I have only bowled in 4 lanes so far so i do not know how often this actually happens. The lanes we normally bowl at seem to break almost everytime we bowl. Had one day that we ended up getting a black grease substance on our balls after about 4 frames. Had the pinsetter break on a few lanes and had to be moved. Seems like we have to ask the front desk about the balls not returning at least 2-4 times per series. Scoring seems to be messed up when you can get a gutter and still be given 4 pins.

Unfortunately the next closest good lanes are 75 miles away.

Is this the norm for bowling alleys or does it seem like ours is especially bad?

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

The grease is somewhat normal. It's from the mechanic using too much on the equipment. The balls not returning is usually from a pin sitting sideways and blocking the ball's path to the carpet. Scoring is usually a reflector issue. Over all, most seems like normal mishaps but happening so much that management seems to be lacking in care.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Chats: 243

pretty normal at my alley. prob the biggest issue is ball return. Scores mess up sometimes and grease has been on my ball only a handful of times.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Storm Crossroad, Roto Grip Defiant, DV8 Too Reckless, Brunswick Avalanche Urethane

Ball Speed: 18Mph
    Rev Rate: 450
    Current average: 199
    High game: 300
    High Series: 769

Chats: 0

The problems we usually have in our house are the ball not coming back or the pin setter taking away a first shot leave and setting up a new rack and frame. The other thing I just thought of is the ball return isn't adjusted right. When the balls come back they don't go to the back of the return. I see balls that came back go part way on the ball rack and sit there with the next ball getting right next to it and so on and so on until it looks like a traffic jam with nobody moving. We didn't pay attention one time and the balls coming up from the chute hit the stopped balls and went back down the chute. The bad thing is they never correct it. Wassup wit dat?