Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have you stopped smiling?

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Default Have you stopped smiling?

Background: From 1975 to 2008 I was a casual league bowler. I bowled one night a week in a league that had and still has a nice banquet at the end of the season, and gave only trophies, no cash prizes. I would occasionally bowl with friends during the summer or on a weekend. Our team used to joke about having a no practice rule for the off season.

In 2008 I switched to bowling left-handed for the season. I had to practice. I invested in some used reactive resin balls, learned to throw a hook with either hand. Tried the sport league in the summer of 2009 and got hooked on the challenge of tougher conditions and better bowlers. Have been bowling in both my original league and the sport league ever since.

I like to think that I enjoy this game, but I've come to the realization that I may have been infected by the dreaded "Ultra Serious Bowler" virus. I was subbing in a late afternoon, non-sanctioned league made up of bowlers with loose connections to a local school system. I had thrown a strike on the first ball in the tenth. As I walked back to wait for the ball to return, Michael ( not the Iceman, but clearly a kindred soul ) said, "You know, you can smile when you get a strike." I realized that I've been showing more positive emotion for other peoples good shots than for my own.

I think I have my resolution for the new year, what about you?
    John

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

I don't smile either. I expect to do well and try to stay focused on the approach. I also don't showboat, hoot, holler or any of that other foolish stuff. I do my best to let my bowling do my talking and try to never show up my opponent. That is, until they say or do something to start it.

I cheer my teammates and even my opponents openly (while secretly hoping they throw all splits). I take my bowling seriously but still have fun. It's no different than any other sport in that regard for me. I've always practiced more than others. I had to. It was the only way I could make up for my lack of talent and still is. I started this sport late in life at 37 and have a lot of games to make up for to catch those half my age. Plus I only started getting serious about two years ago.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Chats: 19

Texas has a lot of the, "oh, so you think youre better than me?!? You aint better than me!!!" built into it... I try not to be too happy, especially if we are winning big. People get pissed too easily. But I always try to be a good sport. If someone on the other team is being a jerk, i just ignore them.

Ive always felt bowling was a hobby. I think its something meant to be enjoyed. People take it too seriously. Every time i bowl i try to remember this:

You should always hope everyone bowls very well. You can only hope you happen to bowl BETTER.
    Not helping the situation since 1983.

Bowling Average: 180
    Bowling Handicap: Beer
    Bowling Style: Completely Wheels Off
    Righty / Lefty: Righty
    Bowling Balls: Lane #1 Droid (Strike Ball), Storm Crossroad (Strike Ball. I hate the smell...), Hammer No Mercy (Retired Strike Ball. We had a good run. RIP, old friend!), Ebonite Magnum (Spare Ball), Ebonite Maxim (Spare Ball)
    Best Game: 267
    Best Series: 695 (just 5 more pins... I don't wanna talk about it!)

I am with you, I need to lighten up. I am taking bowling too serious at times and really lose the fun.

One of the hardest parts is the "sandbaggers". Extremely bitter about that, I should just chalk it up to being in a handicap league, but every now and then it gets under my skin.

Deep breaths...

Now Back to enjoying it

Quote Originally Posted by ArtVandelay View Post
    You should always hope everyone bowls very well. You can only hope you happen to bowl BETTER.
    Last edited by ssclary; 12-27-2012 at 11:14 PM.

Chats: 19

Yeah... We have a team that sandbags like crazy. Two of their bowlers are in a scratch league, and their highest average is a 167....? The guy with a 167 had a 300 game earlier this season, and the other guy with a 162 average has TWO 700 series. My team has the best all around team. We only have one weak bowler and our femal has the high average for females in the league. So we are doing well. The 300 game and both 700 series were against our team...

It does drive us nuts, but at a certain point you just have to feel sorry for people who feel winning is more important than honesty and fair play.

I just ignore them. Maybe too much. One guy bowled a strike and put his hand out for me to congratulate him. I had just blown on my hand (cold night, trying to warm it up) so I just smiled and said, "i would, but i just blew into my hand. Sorry."

Funny how i always seem to have an excuse...
    Not helping the situation since 1983.

Bowling Average: 180
    Bowling Handicap: Beer
    Bowling Style: Completely Wheels Off
    Righty / Lefty: Righty
    Bowling Balls: Lane #1 Droid (Strike Ball), Storm Crossroad (Strike Ball. I hate the smell...), Hammer No Mercy (Retired Strike Ball. We had a good run. RIP, old friend!), Ebonite Magnum (Spare Ball), Ebonite Maxim (Spare Ball)
    Best Game: 267
    Best Series: 695 (just 5 more pins... I don't wanna talk about it!)

If I ever stop smiling, then I have to quit. Yes, I get frustrated at times, utter the occasional foul word, or yell a foul word here or there. In the end though, I have fun. I smile when I strike, when a teammate strikes, when we win, when something crazy happens. Have to keep the fun in the game, otherwise it's like work, and I hate work.
    Sinister is the only way to live.

Chats: 243

well i drink before i bowl so im half laughing half concentrating. I try not to get too serious because thats when i make mistakes.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Storm Crossroad, Roto Grip Defiant, DV8 Too Reckless, Brunswick Avalanche Urethane

Ball Speed: 18Mph
    Rev Rate: 450
    Current average: 199
    High game: 300
    High Series: 769

Chats: 0

I still have a pretty good time, as long as I am bowling ok. I am pretty hard on myself if I miss an easy spare or if I am having a bad game.
    Cheers - Ryan

Cranker
    Chats: 7

I'm very competitive and I will yell at my teammates if I think their slacking or not bowling to their potential. As far as smiling i'm always smiling when were winning,but,will have a pissed off look if we lose.

Zothen

I have a hard time smiling when I strike. I feel awkward about it. But on the other hand I am always happy to cheer on others for their shots. Always for the the other team if they are kind enough to do the same. But bowling does bring a lot of people who have thin skin.

I'm there to have fun and bowl well. I want you to bowl well, it pushes me. (Doesn't mean I don't want you to get a split when you're already way ahead, I have my limits LOL)
    In the Bag: Storm Marvel Pearl, Storm IQ, Columbia 300 White Dot
    In the Locker: Storm Tropical Breeze, RG Defiant, RG Bandit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast