Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Switching Hands

Cranker
    Chats: 7

Default Switching Hands

I suffer from bursitus/tennis elbow in the right arm and lately I have been thinking of switching to left handed bowling. So my question is-Has anyone here switch bowling hands or are alternating hands(Right hand 1 league,left hand in other). Did you find it hard to switch?

Zothen

PS-I know I can't use left hand in current leagues,but,was thinking maybe in summer to give my right arm a rest.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

I learned to bowl left handed but haven't lately. The footwork was the hardest part for me. I kept getting my steps backwards. Once I figured that out the roll was nice. Try it, you never know, it may work well for you.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Chats: 25

My left arm has taken quite a beating from bowling too (most likely from me doing it wrong for many years until learning the proper way). I thought about maybe switching but it would take too long to adjust and it would require me to redrill my equipment which I'd rather not do. So I'd rather just keep bowling left handed and condition my arm to take it better. I've been thinking about getting an elbow brace to help, any recommendations from the group on which one to get?

Chats: 723

Quote Originally Posted by AZBowla View Post
    My left arm has taken quite a beating from bowling too (most likely from me doing it wrong for many years until learning the proper way). I thought about maybe switching but it would take too long to adjust and it would require me to redrill my equipment which I'd rather not do. So I'd rather just keep bowling left handed and condition my arm to take it better. I've been thinking about getting an elbow brace to help, any recommendations from the group on which one to get?
    The blue one.

lol, i have no clue about elbow braces.
    High Game: 246 (300 soon)
    High Series: 627

In The Bag: DV8 MARAUDER, Brunswick Nexxxus, Brunswick T Zone
    USBC Level I Certified Coach
    Youth Bowling Canada Member

I am a proud member of http://BowlingIntel.com bowling Forums

TONIGHT WE BOWL! DV8 DAMN GOOD BOWLING

Chats: 19

Quote Originally Posted by Zothen View Post
    I suffer from bursitus/tennis elbow in the right arm and lately I have been thinking of switching to left handed bowling. So my question is-Has anyone here switch bowling hands or are alternating hands(Right hand 1 league,left hand in other). Did you find it hard to switch?

Zothen

PS-I know I can't use left hand in current leagues,but,was thinking maybe in summer to give my right arm a rest.
    Have you ever tried http://one of these? They help me out a ton. It took a while to get used to them, but once I did, there's no going back.
    Not helping the situation since 1983.

Bowling Average: 180
    Bowling Handicap: Beer
    Bowling Style: Completely Wheels Off
    Righty / Lefty: Righty
    Bowling Balls: Lane #1 Droid (Strike Ball), Storm Crossroad (Strike Ball. I hate the smell...), Hammer No Mercy (Retired Strike Ball. We had a good run. RIP, old friend!), Ebonite Magnum (Spare Ball), Ebonite Maxim (Spare Ball)
    Best Game: 267
    Best Series: 695 (just 5 more pins... I don't wanna talk about it!)

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

I switched from right to left for the 08-09 season. The hardest part was that first game where I threw 6 gutter balls in a row. By the end of that season I had a 153 average, and had shot a 263 game in a tournament.

There are times when bowling left-handed feels really good, but it seems like at least once each game I go into a stretch where there's a complete disconnect between my brain and my left arm. In 2010-2011 I bowled right-handed in both leagues and averaged 186/174(sport). Last season I bowled lefty in both and averaged 173/144(sport). This year I'm left-handed on the house shot and right-handed in the sport league for Averages of 168 and 167(sport)

By the way, USBC rules do allow you to switch hands during a season, but to switch back requires a vote by the league board of directors.
    John

Cranker

I use that exact elbow brace! I have used sleeve with the brace built into it and still have discomfort where funny bone is.

Zothen

Chats: 19

I like those braces the best because its padded. I noticed a big difference. If thats not helping, perhaps a few IB Profen?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WzEhoyXpqzQ
    Not helping the situation since 1983.

Bowling Average: 180
    Bowling Handicap: Beer
    Bowling Style: Completely Wheels Off
    Righty / Lefty: Righty
    Bowling Balls: Lane #1 Droid (Strike Ball), Storm Crossroad (Strike Ball. I hate the smell...), Hammer No Mercy (Retired Strike Ball. We had a good run. RIP, old friend!), Ebonite Magnum (Spare Ball), Ebonite Maxim (Spare Ball)
    Best Game: 267
    Best Series: 695 (just 5 more pins... I don't wanna talk about it!)

Cranker

Left handed bowling has temporarily failed! While I was able to get the footing down somewhat,the armswing kept wanting to go to 10 pin,then at last minute wanted to go back up ball(Weird feeling). Then pulled muscle in in my rightside of back when I could'nt get my body to stop twisting. Will give it another try in couple weeks or month.

Zothen

Quote Originally Posted by Zothen View Post
    Left handed bowling has temporarily failed! While I was able to get the footing down somewhat,the armswing kept wanting to go to 10 pin,then at last minute wanted to go back up ball(Weird feeling). Then pulled muscle in in my rightside of back when I could'nt get my body to stop twisting. Will give it another try in couple weeks or month.

Zothen
    Ouch, sorry to hear about your injury issues. It's tough, I saw my cousin go through something simliar with basketball. We played in a rec league, and had a lot of fun, then his knees started bothering him. He pretty much had to quit playing ball. Sucks when your too beat up to do what you like.
    Sinister is the only way to live.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast