Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WORKING OUT and BOWLING

Chats: 19

Theres no question it helps! It helps everything. It helps balance, strength, accuracy... Why dont you see any (or many) 300 pound guys in the PBA? Honestly, my average is only 10-20 pins higher (max) than when I was 60 pounds heavier, but i am MUCH more consistent.
    Not helping the situation since 1983.

Bowling Average: 180
    Bowling Handicap: Beer
    Bowling Style: Completely Wheels Off
    Righty / Lefty: Righty
    Bowling Balls: Lane #1 Droid (Strike Ball), Storm Crossroad (Strike Ball. I hate the smell...), Hammer No Mercy (Retired Strike Ball. We had a good run. RIP, old friend!), Ebonite Magnum (Spare Ball), Ebonite Maxim (Spare Ball)
    Best Game: 267
    Best Series: 695 (just 5 more pins... I don't wanna talk about it!)

Cranker
    Chats: 7

To much muscle will actually be a hinderance! Our sport league had a semi pro body builder and he told everyone his muscle mass was a hinderance as he was unable to get a proper backswing due to his huge muscles as well as having to control how he threw the ball because his 16lbs felt like 10lbs.

Zothen

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

That's why true bodybuilders and power lifters work on flexibility. I'm 6', use to weigh 268 lbs at 6% bodyfat and was more flexible than anybody I knew. Sounds like that guy had some muscles but no real muscle/body control. Maybe the sites personal trainer and power lifter, E-Tank can give his opinion?
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Chats: 0

The last time I bowled, 15 years ago I wasn't in very good shape. I was a decent bowler but I did have problems with my sciatic nerve bothering me after several games and I did have wrist issues.

When I came back to bowling a few years ago I was already doing P90X and continue to do it and its variants. I'm in pretty good shape and it's made my bowling much better in terms of comfort and resistance to injury. And, that's true of everything else I do too.

I recommend anyone who bowls getting in better shape. You can bowl and be a fat slob, but you can bowl a hell of a lot easier and enjoy it more when you're in shape and feel good....and that extends to the rest of your life too.

About the only downside is that nearly nothing to eat in a bowling alley is good for you - so I have to really avoid the snack bar.

Chats: 1

I don't bowl 200 yet, (but I play one on TV)

I am plagued with a horrific tight lower torso. Natural motions have helped immensely. Yoga, hip,hamstring and quad stretches are good. Also, there are particular exercises that sumulated ball delivery. For example: Stand on one leg with knee of the free leg bent and hip high. As you reach down to touch the floor, bring the free leg around back into bowling position and return to starting position, all without placing that foot on the floor. Repeat several times and switch legs.

I also practice relase with a basketball agailnst wall. Just hold ball with palm flat, swing forward turning the palm sidways as if shaking hands. Repeat with flat and backup wrist motion.
    I live by three simples rules:

1. Don't ever ask about my business
    2. Never discuss business at the table
    3. Don't ever side with anyone against the family

Chats: 243

Quote Originally Posted by billf View Post
    That's why true bodybuilders and power lifters work on flexibility. I'm 6', use to weigh 268 lbs at 6% bodyfat and was more flexible than anybody I knew. Sounds like that guy had some muscles but no real muscle/body control. Maybe the sites personal trainer and power lifter, E-Tank can give his opinion?
    its true haha. I am actually pretty flexible. And muscling the ball ruins my accuracy so i just let things flow. Pretty much any novice or recreational bowler tries to muscle it if they can no?
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Storm Crossroad, Roto Grip Defiant, DV8 Too Reckless, Brunswick Avalanche Urethane

Ball Speed: 18Mph
    Rev Rate: 450
    Current average: 199
    High game: 300
    High Series: 769

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Quote Originally Posted by e-tank View Post
    its true haha. I am actually pretty flexible. And muscling the ball ruins my accuracy so i just let things flow. Pretty much any novice or recreational bowler tries to muscle it if they can no?
    Even some intermediate bowlers try to muscle it. The funny part is, the smaller guys are usually the most guilty of it. They're use to having to put every muscle into everything.
    When I first got to basic training a drill sargeant asked me if I worked out. I said, "Never, I just stretch a lot." He had a strange look on his face then I started laughing. Seriously, I had a 64" chest with a 31" waist. You don't get that without working out unless you're Bo Jackson.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12