Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WORKING OUT and BOWLING

Blog Entries
    Chats: 2643

Default WORKING OUT and BOWLING

I am of the opinion that working out, and doing a bowling oriented style of weight training, along with the all so important stretching routine could increase ones average by a substantial amount! How many of you good bowlers 200 plus,,, do some form of exercise!! ?? At a gym,, or at home??

Chats: 243

i was just gonna make a thread to ask if me being a gym rat could have any benefit to bowling haha. Ive been lifting for 9 years through football and now power lifting and the only benefit ive seen is the ability to hurl heavy balls at high velocity with no back swing.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Storm Crossroad, Roto Grip Defiant, DV8 Too Reckless, Brunswick Avalanche Urethane

Ball Speed: 18Mph
    Rev Rate: 450
    Current average: 199
    High game: 300
    High Series: 769

Blog Entries
    Chats: 6

Well I don't average over 200, but when I lost 50 pounds, my average went up by 30 pins. I've gained 30 back, and my average is down 10 pins. I have to hit the gym, and do some running, and hope to get my scores back up.
    Trying not to suck, one day at a time.

Chats: 723

Don't average over 200 (yet) i could definitely do with some weight loss, more bowling it is!
    High Game: 246 (300 soon)
    High Series: 627

In The Bag: DV8 MARAUDER, Brunswick Nexxxus, Brunswick T Zone
    USBC Level I Certified Coach
    Youth Bowling Canada Member

I am a proud member of http://BowlingIntel.com bowling Forums

TONIGHT WE BOWL! DV8 DAMN GOOD BOWLING

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

I haven't worked out seriously in years. Having a labor intensive job helps. The real advantage seems to come tournament time when endurance becomes an issue. That and as we age the ability to minimize the downfall that physically happens to all humans.
    Moving this time around my daughter made the comment that I'm not as strong as I use to be (duh, I'm 45) but I can still outwork and outlast most people half my age. I might not bench press 480 or squat 960 anymore but I'm still as strong as I need to be...mind over matter baby!
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Blog Entries

Bill when I was in my prime, I bench pressed 481, and could full squat 961,,,,, that was even in my 40's! I lost a lot of my strenght, and weight when I contracted RA/LUPUS,,,, not to mention the two falls I had as an Iron Worker! I now keep my bench down around 300... max,,, and squat 400. Age, and wear an tear do take a toll!!! But I am bowing much better now, and feel 100 percent better then two years ago! The Doctors call me an enagma, Puzzle! I should be in a lot of pain, and falling apart! Diet, Working out, supplements, healthy clean water, and a good woman!! I was told 5 years ago, if I did not take their heavy duty
    Medications, and prescriptions, I would be in a wheel chair within two years!!! Guess what American Medical Profession!! It’s going on 6 years, and I don’t even have to take a aspirin!!! All naturel!!
    I know for a fact that working out is what has given me the ability to bowl the great games I have this last year!! I also do cardio on a recumbent bike for 40 minutes 4 times a week!
    It use to hurt my knees so bad 3 years ago that I many times thought I would have to quit before finishing our 3 games! Now with the weight training, and cardio, I can easily bowl 10 12 even 20 games with no discomfort!!

I think exercise definitely helps.

In high school, my senior year (2009) I averaged 220 in our conference and that was my last serious bowling endeavor. I never really worked out then at all; I was 6'4" #170 at graduation. I went to to play baseball at college and with our workout routines I've gotten to 6'6" and #210 and whenever I come back home to bowl over break, I still sit right around 220 with my average (on a THS though, not a travel league like HS). Since I don't practice nearly as much, I believe my weight training and other workouts have put me in better control of my body overall. I might not be as in bowling form as I used to be, but just knowing my body better allows me to execute at the same level, so when I get back in bowling form with this new-found coordination people better watch out!
    In bag: IQ Tour Pearl, Marvel-S, IQ Tour, Lights Out, Totally Defiant, HyRoad Pearl
    High Game: 300
    High Series: 786
    High Average: 220

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

I'm almost inspired to clean off our weight bench and start working out again, I had a YMCA membership when I was teaching, but let it lapse when I switched to doing construction work since I wasn't making as much use of it. Several years later, my wife and I bought the weight bench from friends who were moving to Chicago. We bought it as much to give them a little cash and not have to move something heavy and bulky, as to have a home gym. Typical of home fitness equipment, it gets used by one or both of us for a few months and then forgotten about for years.

We did join a fitness center about 12 years ago. I had participated in a heart/yoga study and was given a 3 month membership in return. My wife bought a trial membership and we did attend one of their yoga classes regularly. We weren't nearly as good about using the gym facilities and didn't renew. After that we took several yoga classes though the local adult ed program.
    John

Blog Entries

James, I have been working out at a very nice facility close to my place YMCA! There are several in the Kansas city Missouri area!

They have Yoga classes also! They have a great Steam/Sana/whirlpool, pool! Always clean and in good condition! I am convinced at 64, I have the body of a,,,, say Bill!! (guy in his 40’s! lol

James, I eat as much as possible good organic food, I have my own water treatment system to purify my drinking/cooking/and Ice cubes!! WATER is purified by in what I think is the best system out there! It’s the Kinetico system. Got mine installed through Home depot! Water is sooooooo important to the human body, and good water without chlorine, fluoride, ect,,ect,, is just not out there! I don’t trust bottled water at all!! Costco is carring a lot of Organic stuff that has huge benefits to your health!!
    Watch what you eat, drink lots of purified water, supplements, and WORKING OUT! Keys to feeling well, and bowing at your best!!

I think it helps me a lot. Not ony pyshicly, but mentally. If I'm out of shape, and feeling like poo, I'm in a bad state of mind. Bad state of mind can lead to bad bowling. Of course you don't have to be in good shape to be a good bowler, but it can't hurt.
    Sinister is the only way to live.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast