Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ever go to a PBA tournament to watch?

Ringer
    Chats: 23

Default Ever go to a PBA tournament to watch?

So my birthday 30th is just a couple weeks away and I finally was told what my mystery trip is going to be.

My wife is taking me to PBA Winter Swing in Detroit at the end of January. I was excited to hear this but I want to hear from anyone who has actually been to a tournament before about what the do's and dont's are as well as things I should look to do.

We are going for the weekend and will see the shows Saturday and Sunday as well as try and bowl at Thunderbowl on Monday morning before we head home.

Anyone have any PBA tournament experiences?
    Equipment:
    Motiv: Forza, Forza Redine, Venom Shock, Tag
    Storm: Sky Rocket
    Track 100P Spare Ball

To be drilled: Motiv Jackal

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

I took my dad to see a PBA finals in 1998. Qualifying had taken place in Milford CT, and the finals were at Sacred Heart University. Our seats were about halfway up, looking down on the approaches, in my opinion a great place to watch the matches from.

I remember that Walter Ray Williams won the tournament. I don't remember which other bowlers made the finals. None of them were star players of that era like Aulby, Bohn, or Voss. The most memorable event was a mistake by whoever was in charge of the big screen monitor. At one point as Walter Ray was about throw his ball, they put up a shot of Dick Weber, who was seated behind the approach on the screen and everyone who didn't have a good view of the approach started to applaud. Weber was visibly upset to have been the cause of a distraction for one of the competitors. Williams was his usual unflappable self, and just reset himself and threw a quality shot.

In hindsight, I wish I had gone over to watch some of the qualifying, and had gotten Dick Weber's autograph.
    John

Chats: 4

Yes I have been to and bowled in quite a few PBA tournaments
    back in the late 1980's and 1990's. I guess the main thing not
    to do is distract the bowler while he/she is bowling by asking
    for their autograph or for any bowling advice.

I guess the main thing to do is offer to help them move any of
    their equipment during qualifying from lane to lane if they will
    let you and offer to help them out anyway that you can.

If you want their autograph or any bowling advice wait until they
    are done bowling their set then ask them. If you are staying for
    the TV finals do not make any background noise while they are on
    the approach especially if PDW is in the finals or PDW will know who
    you are and gripe at you. LOL!!!!!
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    Right handed, ex-cranker now a power tweener approx. 350 - 400 RPM's PAP 4 1/2" over 1" up high league sanctioned game 300 high league sanctioned series 788
    Bill

Ringer
    Chats: 23

I believe some of what we will be seeing is the PBA League matches. Which I will have to wait to sneeze until PDW is in his approach!

Not sure we will see much of qualifying but I am not much of a talking guy as it is. So I wouldn't be one to go up to the pros and actually try to talk to them.
    Equipment:
    Motiv: Forza, Forza Redine, Venom Shock, Tag
    Storm: Sky Rocket
    Track 100P Spare Ball

To be drilled: Motiv Jackal

I don't think I would try to get any autographs or aything but it would definitely be fun to go and watch the qualifying rounds and etc.

I like to watch the lines that guys throw and the differing bll reactions dependant on missing by as little as 1 board.

Not to mention the reaction of all the different bowling balls.
    PAP - 6 1/4 1/8 up
    speed 16-16.5 monitor
    ~400-450 revs

I am a Proud Member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

I always wanted to go to one. I remember seeing the trucks outside of AMF West Babylon every single year. The last time was 2010, now they don't come around anymore.
    Sinister is the only way to live.

Chats: 1

I was at the Brunswick Johnny Petraglia Open in 1996 when they had an arena final in the Rutgers Athletic Center. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I even met PDW behind the stands. His off the lane persona is far different from his on lane persona. He's a funny guy. Walter Ray Williams beat Steve Jaros in the final. I even saw Mark Roth there.
    Style: Power Stroker/Tweener - 16.5 - 17.5 mph, PAP 4 1/2 x 0

In the bags:
    Retooled with 15 lb equipment.

In the Bag: Radical Ludicrous, 900Global Honey Badger Claw, 900Global Honey Badger, DV8 spareball

In the Bullpen : Radical Quick Fix, Radical Katana

The archives: Ebonite Grey Wolf (first 300), Red Wolf (first 700). Just can't let them go.

I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyJim View Post
    I even met PDW behind the stands. His off the lane persona is far different from his on lane persona. He's a funny guy.
    I've heard that from a friend who used to hang around the tour. PDW is a big wrestling fan, so what we see on TV is much more of a character he based on wrestlers. Not sure if that's the "sport" we should be modeling ourselves after.
    Sinister is the only way to live.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Quote Originally Posted by scottymoney View Post
    I believe some of what we will be seeing is the PBA League matches. Which I will have to wait to sneeze until PDW is in his approach!

Not sure we will see much of qualifying but I am not much of a talking guy as it is. So I wouldn't be one to go up to the pros and actually try to talk to them.
    PBA league matches? I'm confused seeing as the PBA isn't a league.............
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Quote Originally Posted by MisterSinister View Post
    I've heard that from a friend who used to hang around the tour. PDW is a big wrestling fan, so what we see on TV is much more of a character he based on wrestlers. Not sure if that's the "sport" we should be modeling ourselves after.
    Not that surprising considering his crotch chop celebrations and using triple h's music for strikes

And it's not that bad to model after that a little. 90% of wrestling is all about showmanship and entertainment. Couldn't hurt bowling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast