Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What type of bowler are you?

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by ArtVandelay View Post
    Are you a serious bowler, or purely recreational?
    I don't know any more. Just like I don't know if I'm right or left handed. I used to be strictly recreational, only one league, only one ball for thirty years, no tournaments, occasionally bowling with friends. Then I tried the sport league. Now I'm at the alley at least 3 days a week, have four balls for each hand, and actually dragged my wife to the alley Saturday to shoot some video of my practice before it started snowing.

I really enjoy the bowling more in the sport league.

The recreational league I enjoy for the company of friends that I've made over the last 37 years.
    John

I am quickly becoming serious, been bowling regularly for just over a year. I find myself working at trying to get better and better and raising my average. I am an extremist in everything I do, can never just invest a little, sometimes to a fault. I have to tell myself to take a couple days off every other week or so. I could go everyday and bowl, but that usually just makes me more crazy and as the wife says " your doing it again" meaning I am trying too hard and I end up pressing too much. I want to bowl every morning and every night each day. I am starting to think I should leave the handicap league behind and go scratch. Seems like all the better bowlers are there, the averages are 200 +/- 15. I think it would help my game improve as I would be the low guy and wouldn't be able to survive without getting better. I am capable of beating the majority of the bowlers in the handicap league straight up. In the end I want to be consistent and know when I show up that I can hang with the high rollers.

I enjoy bowling and really love the challenge of figuring out the lanes, balls, oil patterns and how to perform under pressure...

Chats: 723

Am i a serious bowler? Yup i like to be competitive and constantly improve, but i never have a bad time bowling, if i'm doing poorly i try something crazy to try and get strikes, sometimes it works sometimes not but its always fun (and funny to watch)
    High Game: 246 (300 soon)
    High Series: 627

In The Bag: DV8 MARAUDER, Brunswick Nexxxus, Brunswick T Zone
    USBC Level I Certified Coach
    Youth Bowling Canada Member

I am a proud member of http://BowlingIntel.com bowling Forums

TONIGHT WE BOWL! DV8 DAMN GOOD BOWLING

For myself, definitely both. When in the players area very much the fun sort of bowler laughing and joking with the other bowlers, but as soon as my foot hits the approach, it is all about business.

Chats: 11

consider my self a little of both
    Style: Stroker
    In the bag: C300 Wicked Encounter, C300 Freeze, Hammer Arson Hybrid, Hammer Cobalt Vibe, and Brunswick T Zone

PAP 4.25 over x .25 up

High Series: 716
    High Game: 273

I love to have fun, but I am as serious as it comes.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums.
    In the bag: Storm IQ, Storm Lucid,Storm Frantic,Brunswick T-Zone .
    High Game: 299 High Series: 725

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by ssclary View Post
    I am quickly becoming serious, been bowling regularly for just over a year. I find myself working at trying to get better and better and raising my average. I am an extremist in everything I do, can never just invest a little, sometimes to a fault. I have to tell myself to take a couple days off every other week or so. I could go everyday and bowl, but that usually just makes me more crazy and as the wife says " your doing it again" meaning I am trying too hard and I end up pressing too much. I want to bowl every morning and every night each day. I am starting to think I should leave the handicap league behind and go scratch. Seems like all the better bowlers are there, the averages are 200 +/- 15. I think it would help my game improve as I would be the low guy and wouldn't be able to survive without getting better. I am capable of beating the majority of the bowlers in the handicap league straight up. In the end I want to be consistent and know when I show up that I can hang with the high rollers.

I enjoy bowling and really love the challenge of figuring out the lanes, balls, oil patterns and how to perform under pressure...
    Sounds like you have the right attitude to enjoy bowling scratch.

Our scratch league loses a lot of bowlers to the other Monday night league in the fall. Some just can't take the shock of finding out they're not as good as they think they are. Others see that there's a much bigger potential payout in the other league.
    John

Chats: 0

I'm a very serious recreational bowler.

I take my own game serious and try to always improve but I generally don't care very much about my standings or even my team's standings. I'm a poor team-mate if that matters to you, I'll bowl my best but what everyone else does doesn't really factor in to my game. Even if I feel competitive towards someone else, I don't tend to let it show.

I can just as easily bowl with friends and completely screw off and enjoy it...but internally I want every shot to be a strike.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

In my opinion, the best teammates don't let the others game affect theirs. They just bowl their best while having a good time.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Chats: 0

I find I'm too serious when i bowl league. I bowl way better on random days with friends even on awful conditions. If im bowling poorly i make even worse shots and get angrier. I'm slowly learning to breath after a bad shot and then go get another drink. My brother-in-law bowls a slightly higher average than me and as such feels that its his duty to correct any mistake I might make. He also tends to criticize me for bringing 3 balls to league since he only needs one. That is, until his taboo starts hooking uncontrollably and i do better than him. Im doing my best to remember that when bowling is no longer enjoyable for me I need to either quit bowling with certain people or quit all together. More likely the former.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast