Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Backup ball

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

I asked Pat Costello at the Bronze seminar about some of the strange things some coaches teach females to do including the tendency they have for back up balls. Her answer, "I don't know why some coaches do that. I would guess because they won't bother to teach them properly."
    So I'm not sure why. We only have one female who uses the back up technique (thankfully). She also stops on the wrong foot.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Chats: 0

One of the top male bowlers in my league is averaging 220+ by back up bowling. He throws it fast and gets a lot of revs too which is amazing to watch. It seems to work for him :P
    Average: 206 High Game: 300 High Series: 712
    In the bag: NEW ADDITION - Roto Grip Wrecker, Storm IQ Tour Pearl, Storm Reign of Fire, Roto Grip Defiant, Roto Grip Dark Star, Ice Storm

Ringer
    Chats: 23

Throwing a backup ball is fine if you know how to do it. Most of the people who throw it are only doing it because they never learned the proper way and this is what they ended up with. My cousin who is 23 throws a backup ball and averages around 130 and I think because nobody taught him the correct way growing up this is what he ended up with. There is also a guy in my league that throws a backup ball who averages around 130 or so. It is tough to tell though as some of these people may be throwing a back up because of some physical handicap they may have to throwing a regular hook.
    Equipment:
    Motiv: Forza, Forza Redine, Venom Shock, Tag
    Storm: Sky Rocket
    Track 100P Spare Ball

To be drilled: Motiv Jackal

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12