Thread: My little dilemma...

Default My little dilemma...

Hi all,

New to 'real' bowling (screwed around with cosmic bowling growing up, never serious). I decided to give it a real shot and picked up a Misfit and some shoes.

I've taken the misfit out twice, the first outing scores were 108, 125, and 90. I couldn't get any revs on the ball, they were straight as an arrow.

The second outing started out similarly, with 130, 107, and 110. I decided to squeeze in a 4th game but my thumb was super swollen, so I decided to give it a shot without my thumb.... 182!! I was putting a ton of rotation on the ball, it was hooking in beautifully!!

However, long term, I want to learn how to use the thumb. Without the thumb my approach is clumsy, and I feel thumb-in will serve me better in the long run. Does anybody have any suggestions to transition back to using the thumb and getting the same revs? Maybe take a lesson to avoid developing any bad habits? I just can't figure out how I'm able to put a ton of movement on the ball without my thumb, but with my thumb it turns into a straight house ball shot.

Thanks for reading!

Dilemma,

You won't get as many revs with your thumb in but the control will be much better.
    Clear your thumb and then snap your wrist and fingers. Don't take the fingers past the 3:00 position.

Don't know how to post yet !!!!!
    We bowl a team of talented young crankers this week. The lanes are a ths, a bit tight with little on the back end. We are older bowlers that are mainly down and in.
    Is there any lines or equipment that would make thier shot a bit more difficult ????

To get the same revs is tough, but you don't need a ton of revs to make the ball hook. I bowled without my thumb for years, up until a few months ago. I had a rev rate around 600, now it's around 350. A lesson would help a lot, especially if you tell your instructor before the lesson exactly what you want to do. He can prepare the correct drills to help you. He will also be able to help you work with what you have. When I started with my thumb in, I was the same way, no revs, dead straight. There are a few things you can do to increase revs, but the most important is practice, and time. I'm not qualified enough to tell you what you should do, but I can tell you what I did. First key for me, video. I took a lot of video, and looked at every part of my delivery. Making sure my are swing was loose, my pace was good, and my hand position throught the delivery. I compaired it to the guys I was trying to emulate, Bill O'Nil, Chris Barnes, even compairing to Walter Ray, and Norm Duke. It took me a while to get used to the fell with the thumb, and how tight my thumb hole should be. As of mow, my average is lower than it was than without my thumb, but I feel that in time, and not too long from now, I will be a better bowler.
    Sinister is the only way to live.

Cranker
    Chats: 7

I would suggest taking some lessons and joining a practice league. Practice leagues are great for working on footing,timing and whatever your coach if you have 1,has you work on,plus in most practice leagues you get either free bowling or discount coupons(99 cent per game(prices may vary).

Zothen

Chats: 19

Quote Originally Posted by MisterSinister View Post
    As of mow, my average is lower than it was than without my thumb, but I feel that in time, and not too long from now, I will be a better bowler.
    As of meow????

Not helping the situation since 1983.

Bowling Average: 180
    Bowling Handicap: Beer
    Bowling Style: Completely Wheels Off
    Righty / Lefty: Righty
    Bowling Balls: Lane #1 Droid (Strike Ball), Storm Crossroad (Strike Ball. I hate the smell...), Hammer No Mercy (Retired Strike Ball. We had a good run. RIP, old friend!), Ebonite Magnum (Spare Ball), Ebonite Maxim (Spare Ball)
    Best Game: 267
    Best Series: 695 (just 5 more pins... I don't wanna talk about it!)

Listen here meow. Just cause I make a simple mistake doesnt make me a cat meow. Am I drinking milk, am I jumpin around all nimbly bimbly. Are you going to do repeater meow....

...meow
    Sinister is the only way to live.