Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: friendly league

Chats: 723

Handicap is great, it helps keep new bowlers happy and motivated rather than thinking their not good enough because they loose to the person that's been bowling for 10 years every week. is the handicap system perfect? no, but its better than none at all.
    High Game: 246 (300 soon)
    High Series: 627

In The Bag: DV8 MARAUDER, Brunswick Nexxxus, Brunswick T Zone
    USBC Level I Certified Coach
    Youth Bowling Canada Member

I am a proud member of http://BowlingIntel.com bowling Forums

TONIGHT WE BOWL! DV8 DAMN GOOD BOWLING

Cranker
    Chats: 7

What pisses me off the most about the handicap 80%-100% of 225(Depending on league)is the fact that a 205-215 avg bowler has 7-13 pins of handicap. Do 205+ avg bowlers really need handicap? Not in my opinion and on the other side you have a 92 avg bowler who has 128 pins of handicap which to me is outrages. I'm all for giving the underdog a chance,but,come on now lets be fair. Lets go back to when the handicap was 80% of 210 and make it fair for everyone,instead of having teams you can't win against because the avg makes them unbeatable.

Zothen

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Zothen View Post
    What pisses me off the most about the handicap 80%-100% of 225(Depending on league)is the fact that a 205-215 avg bowler has 7-13 pins of handicap. Do 205+ avg bowlers really need handicap? Not in my opinion and on the other side you have a 92 avg bowler who has 128 pins of handicap which to me is outrages. I'm all for giving the underdog a chance,but,come on now lets be fair. Lets go back to when the handicap was 80% of 210 and make it fair for everyone,instead of having teams you can't win against because the avg makes them unbeatable.

Zothen
    If you have bowlers whose averages are higher than the handicap basis you are actually giving them an advantage. Take your example of a 215 average bowler:
    If he is right on his average with the 210 basis he has a score of 215.
    With the 225 basis his score with handicap is 215+ 8 or 223. 'This is horrible, we've given 8 pins to someone who doesn't need them'

Say his opponent is almost as good, and has a 205 average.
    with the 210 basis he gets 4 pins so if he bowls his average the total with handicap is 209. He would need to be 6 pins over average just to tie.
    With the 225 basis his handicap is 16 pins, total of ave. + handicap = 205+16=221. Guess what, he only needs to be 3 pins over to win!

I know that it feels wrong to give pins to the best bowler in the league, but when you do the math, it is clearly more fair.

p.s. the 92 bowler has only 106 pins of handicap and would need to be 25 pins over to tie bowler one using 80% based on 225.
    John

Ringer
    Chats: 23

Handicap creates an even playing field, the base number does not matter and is usually just picked depending on the scores of the league. The change is in the percentage, but 10% isn't going to make a huge difference at all. It isn't worth griping about 10% is about 3 pins which I doubt 99% of games are decided by.
    Equipment:
    Motiv: Forza, Forza Redine, Venom Shock, Tag
    Storm: Sky Rocket
    Track 100P Spare Ball

To be drilled: Motiv Jackal

I only have a few pins of handicap, except in my Tuesday night league..anyway, the only time it really annoys me is in no-tap and when I'm man vs. man against someone in which I'm giving them 30-40 pins of handicap..
    In the locker: Hammer Taboo Jet Black; Brunswick Nexus (p+f); Motiv Sigma Tour
    High game/series: 290/793
    League Averages: Garrick Jewelers - 225; Kingpin Mixed - 232

Chats: 723

Quote Originally Posted by xthe_charismatic_enigmax View Post
    I only have a few pins of handicap, except in my Tuesday night league..anyway, the only time it really annoys me is in no-tap and when I'm man vs. man against someone in which I'm giving them 30-40 pins of handicap..
    I don't see the point of handicap in a no tap... I thought the point of no tap was to even the field between mid and high average bowlers, adding handicap to that seems pointless....
    High Game: 246 (300 soon)
    High Series: 627

In The Bag: DV8 MARAUDER, Brunswick Nexxxus, Brunswick T Zone
    USBC Level I Certified Coach
    Youth Bowling Canada Member

I am a proud member of http://BowlingIntel.com bowling Forums

TONIGHT WE BOWL! DV8 DAMN GOOD BOWLING

Chats: 22

In my friendly league the handicap is 80% of 200. Overall it's fair. The team that bowls above their average usually wins. I guess my goal is to by the end of the league have no handicap. Right now I get 8 pins.
    "If a word in the dictionary were misspelled, how would we know?" - Steven Wright

Chats: 1

The league i bowl in on Thursdays is an 85% of 210

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Handicap systems are simple..bowl your average or better. It's the sound of the number of pins your giving up that mentally impairs the bowler who is giving them. If you're giving away pins, it's because you're statistically better than your opponent.
    It's pretty much the same in a scratch league..if you don't hit your average, chances are you will lose. And if you hit your average or above, you may still lose. Just bowl and get better.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

When people with 170 averages bowl 240's..that's just a bit of a disadvantage to a scratch bowler..
    In the locker: Hammer Taboo Jet Black; Brunswick Nexus (p+f); Motiv Sigma Tour
    High game/series: 290/793
    League Averages: Garrick Jewelers - 225; Kingpin Mixed - 232

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast