Thread: Looking for some clarification

Chats: 243

Default Looking for some clarification

This is a forum post on bowling community written by CoachJim about fresh vs heavy oil

"This is what the saying "Less is More" means.

I have been saying this for a long time on this site, that heavy oil balls should be saved and only brought out for actual heavy oil. There is a huge difference between heavy oil and fresh oil.

1.On fresh oil, pretty much every ball will make it to the end of the oil pattern, the aggressive ball will read early and burn early, medium oil ball will have a sharp break, light oil ball will over skid and come in behind the head pin.

2.On heavy oil, only the heavy oil ball will give a decent reaction, the medium oil ball will over skid and deflect when it hits the pocket.

3.The best way to tell if your ball is too aggressive for the lane, the ball will deflect back through right of the 9 pin as it goes through the pocket and leave weak 10 pins or 8-10 splits. This is why it is very important to watch the ball all the way through the pins. If the ball drives through the left of the 9, the ball is not aggressive enough."

What im getting from 1 is that a ball will hook early and have no energy when it hits pins

on 2 a ball skid too far and when it hooks it will bounce off pins do to no energy

and on 3 i dont understand

Am i correct on the first two? And can someone explain 3 to me por favor
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Storm Crossroad, Roto Grip Defiant, DV8 Too Reckless, Brunswick Avalanche Urethane

Ball Speed: 18Mph
    Rev Rate: 450
    Current average: 199
    High game: 300
    High Series: 769

Chats: 0

I'm not sure I understand #3 either. Maybe the wording is tripping me up, but no hooking ball hitting the pocket is going to deflect to the right of the 9 pin, unless it's 6lbs and being thrown 3mph....or being thrown left handed. And, if it did deflect to the right of the 9 pin, it would collect the 10.

If it's pin deflection, as opposed to ball deflection it's important to identify what pin and where it will deflect to illustrate that point.

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by swingset View Post
    I'm not sure I understand #3 either. Maybe the wording is tripping me up, but no hooking ball hitting the pocket is going to deflect to the right of the 9 pin, unless it's 6lbs and being thrown 3mph....or being thrown left handed. And, if it did deflect to the right of the 9 pin, it would collect the 10.

If it's pin deflection, as opposed to ball deflection it's important to identify what pin and where it will deflect to illustrate that point.
    I think they are referring to the center of the ball compared to the center of the 9 pin. A ball 1" right of the 9 pin is still about 5.5" away from making contact with the 10 pin.

heres a link to the thread if it helps at all

http://www.bowlingcommunity.com/b/ub.../107760/2.html

Storm Crossroad, Roto Grip Defiant, DV8 Too Reckless, Brunswick Avalanche Urethane

Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Mike White View Post
    I think they are referring to the center of the ball compared to the center of the 9 pin. A ball 1" right of the 9 pin is still about 5.5" away from making contact with the 10 pin.
    But from the pocket to the right of the 9 pin is a pretty steep break back away from the motion of travel. I've never thrown a ball in my life that hit the pocket but deflected back across the 9 pin. Never. Not even close.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

I think it was the wording losing some of the point in translation. The ball should go between the 8 & 9 pin collecting both after hitting the 5 pin. Given an entry angle of 4°-6° the ball deflects off the 5 to the 8-9 gap. Too aggressive you leave a 9 pin, not aggressive enough it will deflect too much and leave an 8 pin. The article has those pins reversed indicating it was written by a left-handed bowler.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Quote Originally Posted by billf View Post
    I think it was the wording losing some of the point in translation. The ball should go between the 8 & 9 pin collecting both after hitting the 5 pin. Given an entry angle of 4°-6° the ball deflects off the 5 to the 8-9 gap. Too aggressive you leave a 9 pin, not aggressive enough it will deflect too much and leave an 8 pin. The article has those pins reversed indicating it was written by a left-handed bowler.
    makes sense. I can actually visualize it now.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

I left four 8-10 splits last night. I could see the Marauder hit the five pin and then deflect to hit the nine almost flush. I moved two boards right and went through the nose.
    I didn't bring a weaker ball either so I was stuck. The next ball up was my Terror and I was having to loft the left gutter with that. How and why the lanes were that dry is beyond me as they were oiled (or atleast the machine went down the lanes) just before practice.
    A less aggressive ball would have allowed me to play closer to the middle or right side. With the Marauder I was laying down at 32, crossing 20 and breaking at 5. The good part is I felt more fluid than I have anytime since my injury (11/3/10).
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com