Thread: Anyone play the Tokyo 43 pattern?

Default Anyone play the Tokyo 43 pattern?

I had my lessons today and I mentioned how I'd love to join a league this summer that does all the PBA sports shots. He told me tonight after the 7pm leagues, they are going to lay down a Tokyo 43 pattern to practice for a tournament this weekend. I've never played it, never heard of it, nada. I can only guess that the 43 means 43 feet.

Checked this: http://www.worldtenpinbowling.com/pd...Tokyo43-12.pdf

I have no idea what's what. Reverse, forward?

I'm guessing a straighter approach, unless I play over the 8-9 boards. Would use my heavy oil ball of course.

admittedly I am not a tourney bowler but seeing that breakdown of the pattern I would start going straight up 10 and see what result you get.

The reasone I say 10 is that it is what I call the oil line (don't know the right term) you have a little more oil inside and a little less outside so you have a little forgiveness if you miss a board either way.

Of course I don't know your style but that is they way I would start.

if you go by the 31 rule then the 43 foot pattern you should be coming out of the oil pattern at the 12 board. The trick there is what angle to use to get to that 12 board is determined by your style.
    Last edited by Perrin; 01-10-2013 at 04:33 PM.
    PAP - 6 1/4 1/8 up
    speed 16-16.5 monitor
    ~400-450 revs

I am a Proud Member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

I'm a tweener who throws about 15mph on a normal day.

I also managed to develop a blister on my right finger that ripped off. Probably just going to throw some new skin on it and pray.

Chats: 723

Never played the pattern, but the best start is to follow the rule of 31, when it exits the pattern you want the ball at the 12 board
    Last edited by 75lockwood; 01-10-2013 at 05:19 PM.
    High Game: 246 (300 soon)
    High Series: 627

In The Bag: DV8 MARAUDER, Brunswick Nexxxus, Brunswick T Zone
    USBC Level I Certified Coach
    Youth Bowling Canada Member

I am a proud member of http://BowlingIntel.com bowling Forums

TONIGHT WE BOWL! DV8 DAMN GOOD BOWLING

How hard and fast is that rule of 31? Because lately I've been playing the 10 board on a 37' pattern and kicking its butt.

Chats: 723

Quote Originally Posted by Greenday View Post
    How hard and fast is that rule of 31? Because lately I've been playing the 10 board on a 37' pattern and kicking its butt.
    from what i understand, its supposed to quite important to getting ideal entry angle, you say your playing the 10 board, where are you measuring that? playing the 10 board at the arrows is different than playing the 10 board at the exit point.
    High Game: 246 (300 soon)
    High Series: 627

In The Bag: DV8 MARAUDER, Brunswick Nexxxus, Brunswick T Zone
    USBC Level I Certified Coach
    Youth Bowling Canada Member

I am a proud member of http://BowlingIntel.com bowling Forums

TONIGHT WE BOWL! DV8 DAMN GOOD BOWLING

Quote Originally Posted by 75lockwood View Post
    from what i understand, its supposed to quite important to getting ideal entry angle, you say your playing the 10 board, where are you measuring that? playing the 10 board at the arrows is different than playing the 10 board at the exit point.
    10 board at the arrows. I figure if I play third arrow, I should be able to reach the 12 board without having to try to hook it too much.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

When looking at the colored graph, the dark blue is the heaviest concentration of oil. Now see how the left side has less oil? That's one reason the rule of 31 is a STARTING point to get you close. A tweener that's looking to hit the 12 board at 43', given a rev rate around 375 rpm, I would suggest a laydown at the 18 board with an axis rotation of 45°.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Ended up throwing the ball straight down the 10 board. That was phenomenal. The long pattern gave my ball that extra length I need, but still snapped hard into the pocket. A couple times, I missed wide left, but it'd catch right and still hook all the way into the pocket. Shot a 179 the one game I kept score when I got there. Despite my league average only being a 172, I was killing it tonight. Probably was getting strikes 75% of the time. Form was great, very loose, coming around the ball nicely. If I have a normal house shot like I did tonight, I should be bowling upper-200s every game.