Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Did I make a mistake

Chats: 1

Default Did I make a mistake

Ok, here's the situation

I started bowling when I was 8 and have always used a conventional drill.

So I go to go bowling recentley (hadn't been in over a decade) and whala...bowling ball is split in pieces so time for a new ball.

My old ball was a Brunswick Eclipse #12 conventional drill.
    My new ball is a Ebonite Cyclone #14 fingertip drill.

Did I make too big of jump at one time?

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by Okie_Ray View Post
    Ok, here's the situation

I started bowling when I was 8 and have always used a conventional drill.

So I go to go bowling recentley (hadn't been in over a decade) and whala...bowling ball is split in pieces so time for a new ball.

My old ball was a Brunswick Eclipse #12 conventional drill.
    My new ball is a Ebonite Cyclone #14 fingertip drill.

Did I make too big of jump at one time?
    The Cyclone is a good entry level ball, nothing wrong with it as a starting place to get back in the game.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 08-07-2012 at 02:55 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

I like the ball...

Just worried that jumping from a 12 to a 14 and going from conventional to fingertip all at the same time might have been a bit....over-ambitious, shall we say

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

I like the ball...

Just worried that jumping from a 12 to a 14 and going from conventional to fingertip all at the same time might have been a bit....over-ambitious, shall we say
    Since you haven't been bowling in ten years, it's like your starting from scratch. Those changes are basically meaningless, because you'll have no real muscle memory from the old stuff.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Well, than that is good since my last ball was drilled way out of whack adn I had to make changes just to be able to bowl.

Anyway, I guess I didn't do too bad since the first 3 games i bowled with it were 97, 92, 96

Well,

Went and bowled another 3 game set...Average 111.33 with a best of 136.

A few things I noticed are I am pulling the ball across my body... which I was able to adjust body position and at least get it down the lane...

The bigger problem I noticed is that at the peak of my back-swing I am losing the ball already and am pulling/pushing the ball to keep from dropping it rather than allowing the natural swing. Also, as I start to lose the ball I noticed I am tucking my pinky finger to the ball trying to push the ball against my fingers so I can hold onto it for a bit longer. Additionally, I have absolutely no spin on my ball anymore.

So, I am really starting to 2nd guess my choice to go to a heavier ball since I can't hold on to it...I even had (and nearly many more) a back-swing release (talk about embarrassing)... I have already tried adding grip strips and wipe the ball and holes (it is very oily at the lane I bowl at) between every ball (helps only very minimally)I like the fingertip drill though. I am starting to thick that getting a 12# fingertip drilled would be a better first step and then build up to the 14 after I have learned to control/handle the new grip, build up the necessary strength, and retrain my muscles for proper form. As it is now, I bowl 3 games and spend 3-4 days with my fingers, hand, wrist, forearm, elbow and shoulder hurting and can't really hold/grab anything with my bowling hand.

So, here's a question. I remember reading about a company that does NOT use a generic core for their lighter (12# and 13#) balls but can't remember which company it was. Does anyone know? I do know it isn't Brunswick.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Well,

Went and bowled another 3 game set...Average 111.33 with a best of 136.

A few things I noticed are I am pulling the ball across my body... which I was able to adjust body position and at least get it down the lane...

The bigger problem I noticed is that at the peak of my back-swing I am losing the ball already and am pulling/pushing the ball to keep from dropping it rather than allowing the natural swing. Also, as I start to lose the ball I noticed I am tucking my pinky finger to the ball trying to push the ball against my fingers so I can hold onto it for a bit longer. Additionally, I have absolutely no spin on my ball anymore.

So, I am really starting to 2nd guess my choice to go to a heavier ball since I can't hold on to it...I even had (and nearly many more) a back-swing release (talk about embarrassing)... I have already tried adding grip strips and wipe the ball and holes (it is very oily at the lane I bowl at) between every ball (helps only very minimally)I like the fingertip drill though. I am starting to thick that getting a 12# fingertip drilled would be a better first step and then build up to the 14 after I have learned to control/handle the new grip, build up the necessary strength, and retrain my muscles for proper form. As it is now, I bowl 3 games and spend 3-4 days with my fingers, hand, wrist, forearm, elbow and shoulder hurting and can't really hold/grab anything with my bowling hand.

So, here's a question. I remember reading about a company that does NOT use a generic core for their lighter (12# and 13#) balls but can't remember which company it was. Does anyone know? I do know it isn't Brunswick.
    Bowling should not hurt. Can you hold the ball with your arm hanging straight down and then curl your wrist ( cup the ball ) and hold the position ten seconds? If you can't the ball is too heavy. If you can hold the ball like that the problem is more likely to be in the way the ball is drilled.

Having no spin on the ball is probably a result of having to focus on holding on to the ball. The harder your muscles have to work during the swing, the fewer the number of revolutions on the ball.
    Last edited by J Anderson; 08-09-2012 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Thought of something else
    John

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Brunswick uses the same core down to 12 pounds.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    Bowling should not hurt. Can you hold the ball with your arm hanging straight down and then curl your wrist ( cup the ball ) and hold the position ten seconds? If you can't the ball is too heavy. If you can hold the ball like that the problem is more likely to be in the way the ball is drilled.

Having no spin on the ball is probably a result of having to focus on holding on to the ball. The harder your muscles have to work during the swing, the fewer the number of revolutions on the ball.
    I tried to do it with my old ball...was able to....Then I tried the 14# new ball and was unable to fully cup it...my wrist immediately got sharp shots of pain in it.

Note: You were saying hold the ball normally, straight down my side, and then flex my wrist up and forward almost like doing curls but only the wrist correct?

Quote Originally Posted by billf View Post
    Brunswick uses the same core down to 12 pounds.
    Can you show me a link to that information?

Only thing I have found on Brunswick so far is: "The unique core shape of each Brunswick ball is used for weights from 14 to 16 pounds. At 12 and 13 pounds, Brunswick uses a generic core shape with a RG-differential that is close enough to the 14 to 16 pound shape so the same drilling instructions can be used."

The only ball so far I had read that it uses the same unique core is The Ebonite Cyclone, "The Cyclone Core has the same core in 10lbs through 16lbs."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast