Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do I need a heavier ball?

Blog Entries
    Chats: 116

Default Do I need a heavier ball?

Please take a look at these videos. At times when I hit the pocket it is solid but other times when it looks the same I leave the 10!

http://www.youtube.com/feed/UCj3P-gxVUVXAQp8hh-yXZCA/u

I am using a 12# ball due to medical reasons and I really don't want to go higher. Also I am using a Columbia 300 u-dot (urithane). Would using a NEW ball with a better core help? If so, what brand and model? I am sure I can go up to 13# but not any higher.

I am also using a 12# plastic house ball for some spares. I am still working on my targeting.

Thanks for the help folks! More videos from last night are currently being uploaded as I type. Thanks!

Chats: 0

Unclemantis, I'm no expert but what I'm seeing in the videos is your ball is deflecting off to the right on every shot. This tells me that a heavier ball would help greatly. I see you don't put your thumb in the ball. If you can, I'd go no lighter than a 14# ball and something more aggressive on the back end for more drive through the pocket.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Unclemantis, I'm no expert but what I'm seeing in the videos is your ball is deflecting off to the right on every shot. This tells me that a heavier ball would help greatly. I see you don't put your thumb in the ball. If you can, I'd go no lighter than a 14# ball and something more aggressive on the back end for more drive through the pocket.
    Due to a car wreck a decade ago I am unable to bring my shoulder all the way back and the way my shoulder turns I am pretty much stuck doing what i am doing right now.

Would there be a noticible difference between a 12 and a 13# or should i really try with a 14#? This already puts a good deal of straign on my shoulder due to my collar bone healing at the wrong angle. I really want to get back into the game semi-pro.
    In the Bag: Hammer Nail, Smoke and Fire #13 RG (2.53) Diff (.055) - Bowling a 189 Game
    Open Average: 171 High Open Game: 226
    Tweener; Deep; Medium Loft; Low Backswing ; Speed: 12 MPH

When my wife changed from 12 to 13 (R-Zone to Sitnger) her average jumped ~10 pins. and 5-10 more when she went to 14lb(2Furious).

That is also over several years so there may also have been an increase ins accuracy to go along with the change in ball weight.
    PAP - 6 1/4 1/8 up
    speed 16-16.5 monitor
    ~400-450 revs

I am a Proud Member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

Ringer
    Chats: 24

I would think moving into a newer ball (not heavier) would help. There is some deflection in your ball so a newer 12lb ball with a core (DV8 & Storm) may help you with some drive through the pins.

Quote Originally Posted by unclemantis View Post
    Would there be a noticible difference between a 12 and a 13# or should i really try with a 14#? This already puts a good deal of straign on my shoulder due to my collar bone healing at the wrong angle. I really want to get back into the game semi-pro.
    Sounds like a rough predicament. There's no sense in injuring yourself for a hobby, friend.

I would let yourself completely heal up before furthering any damage!

Chats: 19

Quote Originally Posted by cane View Post
    Sounds like a rough predicament. There's no sense in injuring yourself for a hobby, friend.

I would let yourself completely heal up before furthering any damage!
    Agreed. I was going to suggest some soft stretches, and strength exercises, but your later post about the car accident makes it sound like it's permanent and not fixable.

I know this won't be popular to say on a bowling forum, but: It's just bowling. Your health and life are more important. If moving up to a heavier ball gets you more strikes, but causes you pain 10 years down the road, it's simply not worth it.

Good luck to you!
    Not helping the situation since 1983.

Bowling Average: 180
    Bowling Handicap: Beer
    Bowling Style: Completely Wheels Off
    Righty / Lefty: Righty
    Bowling Balls: Lane #1 Droid (Strike Ball), Storm Crossroad (Strike Ball. I hate the smell...), Hammer No Mercy (Retired Strike Ball. We had a good run. RIP, old friend!), Ebonite Magnum (Spare Ball), Ebonite Maxim (Spare Ball)
    Best Game: 267
    Best Series: 695 (just 5 more pins... I don't wanna talk about it!)

Chats: 19

To further elaborate: I might just be imagining things, but I can almost see what you're talking about with your shoulder. It seems to be lower than your other arm.

Get Bill's advice, or someone more knowledgeable than myself, but... If you feel like you have all you can handle with that 12 pound ball, I wonder if moving DOWN in weight would be a good choice.

I'm a fan of physics, and the extra mass of a heavier ball might not make as much sense as the extra velocity of a lighter ball you can throw harder. One pound isn't really that much when you think about it, but I wonder if a couple extra MPH's could be what you need....

Someone let this guy know if I'm out of my mind, please! hahahaha.
    Not helping the situation since 1983.

Bowling Average: 180
    Bowling Handicap: Beer
    Bowling Style: Completely Wheels Off
    Righty / Lefty: Righty
    Bowling Balls: Lane #1 Droid (Strike Ball), Storm Crossroad (Strike Ball. I hate the smell...), Hammer No Mercy (Retired Strike Ball. We had a good run. RIP, old friend!), Ebonite Magnum (Spare Ball), Ebonite Maxim (Spare Ball)
    Best Game: 267
    Best Series: 695 (just 5 more pins... I don't wanna talk about it!)

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Quote Originally Posted by ArtVandelay View Post
    Someone let this guy know if I'm out of my mind, please! hahahaha.
    This guy is out of his mind! How's that?

Now on to the question at hand....
    Use whatever weight you can comfortably. IT IS ONLY BOWLING! Abnormal pain or discomfort to previously injured areas should be avoided unless told otherwise by a qualified Doctor.
    I would suggest spending some money on a good coach who would help with your form WHILE taking your injuries into consideration. More ball speed would certainly help with carry but without knowing the extent of your personal limitations, I won't go into how to increase it. I cause enough problems by accident nevermind when I know I shouldn't.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Blog Entries

#13 Hammer Nail drilled with 3 oz of finger weight and 5 3/4 oz of side weight. They where not kidding when they say "Nothing Hits Like a Hammer!" The ball is VERY FORGIVING TOO!
    In the Bag: Hammer Nail, Smoke and Fire #13 RG (2.53) Diff (.055) - Bowling a 189 Game
    Open Average: 171 High Open Game: 226
    Tweener; Deep; Medium Loft; Low Backswing ; Speed: 12 MPH

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast