Thread: Detroit Winter Swing / PBA League

Ringer
    Chats: 23

Default Detroit Winter Swing / PBA League

So I was lucky enough to go see the tapings of all the events in Detroit. This included all the rounds of PBA League and the 4 individual matches.

First some thoughts then I will write more info. on each later:

1. Fans are uninformed, even the ones that pay money to go watch this in person.

2. What it looks like on TV is the exact size of the crowd. From what they show you think there has to be more seating that they are not showing. What you see is exactly what you get.

3. The team concept is probably the best idea they have had to try and grow the sport.

4. The PBA League season needs to expand or else it isn't really worth having. Hopefully this is something they intend to do.

5. The "celebrity owners" are just for show, they have nothing to do with the team really other than to try and market the League to non bowling people to drum up publicity.

6. The eliminator "clash" rounds (yet to be seen by any of you), is the coolest part of the whole concept and really sets up the team matches.

7. Going to a PBA event is a whole lot of fun, but you have to remember they are taping for TV so they will yell at you for making certain signs or talking during the matches.

8. Bowlers are some of the nicest guys, and are very willing to sign autographs and take pictures. I am not the type of guy for this but I observed alot of this. I would rather sit down with any of them and actually talk to them as a person than to spend the 20 seconds of autograph/picture time with them.

I will write more on some of these in individual posts. Feel free to ask questions if you would like.
    Equipment:
    Motiv: Forza, Forza Redine, Venom Shock, Tag
    Storm: Sky Rocket
    Track 100P Spare Ball

To be drilled: Motiv Jackal

Ringer

1. I was surprised to see so many fans that had no idea what was going on. Some of the comments I overheard were ridiculous and I can see nobody does their homework before showing up. I took the time to read up on the format and what was happening.

Some of the comments I heard:
    "Why did T.O. pick that guy to be on his team?"
    "Why don't all the teams get to compete?"
    "Why aren't the owners bowling?"
    "That guy is going to walk out onto the alley and screw up the oil" , as he walks out to fix a sign above the pinsetters, nowhere near the oil.

A bunch more but I started tuning people out after awhile. My wife knew I was getting mad, I was just hoping these people were handed free tickets that day and decided to show up or something, but I know that is not the case.
    Equipment:
    Track 100P Spare Ball

Cranker
    Chats: 7

It's funny you mentioned the owners are for show only. Everything I have read and heard on the PBA telecast was that the celebrity owners paid money to own the teams and make the uniforms. What would have been more fun is to have teams of West Coast bowlers vs. teams of East Coast bowlers.

I did meet Chris Barnes at a seminar and he tried to spend time with everyone their and even took pictures and signed autographs with those who asked. He's a really nice guy!

Zothen

Ringer

3. The team concept is probably the best idea they have had to try and grow the sport.

The idea allows for much of the sports stars to be on TV more helping to show these guys more helps promote the sport. People love team sports and that seems to help the idea. Hopefully they expand on the teams a bit.

4. The season needs to expand, as the 5 rounds of competition from the Winter Swing decided the top 4 teams for the whole season. I am guessing they are going to expand it to maybe include the WSOB events to be part of it, but being such a short season it is hard to sell the teams at all. A little spoiler but Pittsburgh hardly gets any camera time.

5. The celebrity owner idea is a joke, they are just marketing heads for the league, mainly to pull in non bowling fans. They have no say of any team activity and really are just donating their time to show up to help out. Well only Bettis and Owens make appearances in Detroit over the 5 shows.
    Equipment:
    Track 100P Spare Ball

Ringer

6. The eliminator "clash" rounds (yet to be seen by any of you), is the coolest part of the whole concept and really sets up the team matches.

This makes the whole team aspect, I hope this isn't going to spoil anything for you guys but I won't talk about any of the actual guys who win this. The clash rounds pit the 4th -8th place teams for each round (except for the round they had live) against each other to decide who gets to be the 4th place team for that round.
    This is the setup: all 5 teams are represented with the 4th seed getting 4 guys, the 5th seed 3 guys, the 6th seed 2 guys and the 7th and 8th teams 1 guy a piece.

They now have a bowl off with the 11 guys 1 ball each, so no spare shots. The lowest score is eliminated, any ties for the lowest and all those guys are gone. Each round is pretty intense as one bad shot and they are out! Well unless someone throws worse. To me it was the best part of the whole show!

7. Finally going to the events is so much fun, but if you make a sign they will make you not show it as they can't advertise for other things or some questionable things can not be shown. Plus talking during action is frowned upon. Great time, but etiquette is definitely in play for this!
    Equipment:
    Track 100P Spare Ball

Ringer

Quote Originally Posted by Zothen View Post
    It's funny you mentioned the owners are for show only. Everything I have read and heard on the PBA telecast was that the celebrity owners paid money to own the teams and make the uniforms. What would have been more fun is to have teams of West Coast bowlers vs. teams of East Coast bowlers.

I did meet Chris Barnes at a seminar and he tried to spend time with everyone their and even took pictures and signed autographs with those who asked. He's a really nice guy!

Zothen
    Yeah I mean they probably paid and designed uniforms, but it didn't cost them much, and they have no input really on the team on the lanes. Billie Jean King did trade for Kelly Kullick, but she is just the alternate so it wasn't a big deal. And the point about paying for the team, itt obviously isn't much as T.O. is basically bankrupt at this point, all the kids and baby mamas finally caught up to him.
    Equipment:
    Track 100P Spare Ball

Chats: 1

It's an attempt on the PBA's part to contemprize. By aligning with popular athletes, they hope to build a fan base. It was entertaining, but didn't work as intended. The "owners" did bowl yesterday, but they was lackluster in the shadow of the pro bowlers. The also didn't understand the rules. One of the non-bowlers tried to spice it up with a little trash talk, but he went too far when one of the bowlers who was on the approach. "Not while I'm on the approrah" he yelled and the trash talk stopped.

I think a more useful format would be a true mixed team consiting of a pro, a bowling enthusiast and a relative newbie. I would watch to see how the newbie improves over time. They can explain some of the difficutties and we can see how the mixed teams cope.
    Last edited by GeoLes; 02-04-2013 at 07:18 AM.
    I live by three simples rules:

1. Don't ever ask about my business
    2. Never discuss business at the table
    3. Don't ever side with anyone against the family

Cranker
    Chats: 7

The celebs were bowling with their pros on their teams. Kevin Hart was having fun and Bill O'Neil was joking with Kevin. He basically told Kevin to joke when his team mate was not on the approach. I thought it added some humor to the game.

Zothen