Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will I even have a chance to bowl in college?

Default Will I even have a chance to bowl in college?

Hi guys, I love bowling and like all youth bowlers, my dream is to bowl in college, and eventually get into the PBA. The problem is that I'm not very good, lol. I'm only averaging a 180 on house shot, and a 164 on a sport shot. And I see all these scratch youth bowlers that are throwing 220s every game on sport patterns, and it makes me feel like I will never have a chance with them. I turn 17 next month, so I'm kinda running out of time here, lol.

Will I even have a chance to bowl in college?
    220/300x4/761

I only throw a hyroad

Chats: 723

Quote Originally Posted by I suck at bowling View Post
    Hi guys, I love bowling and like all youth bowlers, my dream is to bowl in college, and eventually get into the PBA. The problem is that I'm not very good, lol. I'm only averaging a 180 on house shot, and a 164 on a sport shot. And I see all these scratch youth bowlers that are throwing 220s every game on sport patterns, and it makes me feel like I will never have a chance with them. I turn 17 next month, so I'm kinda running out of time here, lol.

how often do you bowl? once, twice a week?

bowling like any sport requires a LOT of practice to get good

It has been found that it requires 10,000 hours to become and expert or pro at something, bowling in a single league for 2 hours of which you spend at least half waiting/watching won't cut it. if you want to reach your dreams you must work for it.

Dedicate yourself and you will go far.
    High Game: 246 (300 soon)
    High Series: 627

In The Bag: DV8 MARAUDER, Brunswick Nexxxus, Brunswick T Zone
    USBC Level I Certified Coach
    Youth Bowling Canada Member

I am a proud member of http://BowlingIntel.com bowling Forums

TONIGHT WE BOWL! DV8 DAMN GOOD BOWLING

Quote Originally Posted by 75lockwood View Post
    how often do you bowl? once, twice a week?

bowling like any sport requires a LOT of practice to get good

It has been found that it requires 10,000 hours to become and expert or pro at something, bowling in a single league for 2 hours of which you spend at least half waiting/watching won't cut it. if you want to reach your dreams you must work for it.

Dedicate yourself and you will go far.
    I bowl, maybe 2-4 times a week, as much as I can afford, lol.

Normally one or two practice sessions of 5+ games, and then one league, and then usually one PJBT tourney.
    220/300x4/761

I only throw a hyroad

Chats: 723

I bowl, maybe 2-4 times a week, as much as I can afford, lol.

Normally one or two practice sessions of 5+ games, and then one league, and then usually one PJBT tourney.
    Lol fair enough, if you want to bowl more, maybe talk to the owner to see if you can help out at the ally in exchange for free bowling
    High Game: 246 (300 soon)
    High Series: 627

In The Bag: DV8 MARAUDER, Brunswick Nexxxus, Brunswick T Zone
    USBC Level I Certified Coach
    Youth Bowling Canada Member

I am a proud member of http://BowlingIntel.com bowling Forums

TONIGHT WE BOWL! DV8 DAMN GOOD BOWLING

Blog Entries
    Chats: 8

I would suggest that you keep practicing as much as you can and maybe look into joining a adult/youth league so you can get more time with bowling in that setting. Also look into what the college requirements to be on the bowling team is. You could also check for any scholarships they might give for it, if any. Keep practicing and your game will improve. I know that when I go at least once a week to practice that when it comes time for my league night, I do better. So just keep practicing and good luck. Oh and by the way, a 180 average is pretty damn good in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSheibs View Post
    I would suggest that you keep practicing as much as you can and maybe look into joining a adult/youth league so you can get more time with bowling in that setting. Also look into what the college requirements to be on the bowling team is. You could also check for any scholarships they might give for it, if any. Keep practicing and your game will improve. I know that when I go at least once a week to practice that when it comes time for my league night, I do better. So just keep practicing and good luck. Oh and by the way, a 180 average is pretty damn good in my book.
    Thanks a lot man! I'm just gonna keep at it and see where it goes, lol.
    220/300x4/761

I only throw a hyroad

Chats: 506

do u have a coach in your area? not a high school coach a real certified coach? if so id go see him as much as u can afford
    Stroker
    Ball Speed : 17mph Rev Rate : 300-325 PAP : 4 1/2
    Balls : Hammer Taboo Deep Purple Roto Grip Shatter Roto Grip Scream Hammer absolute hook
    Avg 182 high game 291 High series 709
    bowling 2 leagues and everyday i can

Member ID: 9407-9357

Blog Entries
    Chats: 8

Hey, check out this website. It might help you out.

http://www.collegebowling.com/index.asp

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

What do you mean you're running out of time? I could see if you were a junior in college time might be running out, but not if you're still in high school.

Don't judge yourself by what the other youth bowlers are averaging. For most of us there is always going to be some one else who is better at a given activity than we are. There is no defense in bowling so there's nothing you can do about what they average. In the sport league that I bowl in there are a handful of youth bowlers. none of them are averaging over 180. In fact we have only one bowler over 200 and the rest of the top five are in the 190s.

I did not bowl on the college level but I would assume that its still a learning experience. I would think that coaches would be as interested in athletic ability, attitude, basic technique, etc. as they would in your average. I think that the fact that you're willing to bowl on a sport shot would bode well for being picked for a college team.
    John

How many high school kids are actually bowling on sports shots? I don't know of any high school league around here that gives them sports shots. Only THS.

When I was in high school (Graduated in 2006), we always bowled on a THS. There were kids from a couple towns where they were always shooting 220s or so it seemed. We went to states that year and my God did they look awful. All of a sudden, the ball isn't being guided into the pocket for them anymore and they can't miss their mark so much without washouts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast