Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: *Update* Homemade Bowling Oven

SandBagger
    Chats: 2

Quote Originally Posted by Greenday View Post
    This is about as badass as bowling gets.
    LOL. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by americantrotter View Post
    I gotta say this idea is pretty awesome. So much cheaper than official equipment yet if simple steps are followed there is limited risk to the ball.
    Its really easy. I used an fish tank but my friend was excited about the idea he did it in a cardboard box! The outside of the cardboard doesnt get hot, but i still wouldnt suggest doing it with cardboard unless your desperate. The project in total only cost me around 50 bucks and that only because i had to buy a second lamp cause my tank was too big. you can also buy an an automatic shut off you can plug your lamps into just incase you get distracted and forget about the ball.
    Arsenal: Buzz attack Stinger, Bloody Cross Royal, Big Kahuna Congo, Big Kahuna Tribal, Morpheus Dream, Graffiti, YOLO, YOLO Pearl

Blog Entries
    Chats: 116

Quote Originally Posted by edpup316 View Post
    LOL. Thanks!

Its really easy. I used an fish tank but my friend was excited about the idea he did it in a cardboard box! The outside of the cardboard doesnt get hot, but i still wouldnt suggest doing it with cardboard unless your desperate. The project in total only cost me around 50 bucks and that only because i had to buy a second lamp cause my tank was too big. you can also buy an an automatic shut off you can plug your lamps into just incase you get distracted and forget about the ball.
    I may just try this on 2 of the balls that are on their way to the landfill. NEVER on my active one!
    In the Bag: Hammer Nail, Smoke and Fire #13 RG (2.53) Diff (.055) - Bowling a 189 Game
    Open Average: 171 High Open Game: 226
    Tweener; Deep; Medium Loft; Low Backswing ; Speed: 12 MPH

Chats: 243

What did you use for insulation? I think i read foil but it looks bubbly in the pics?
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Storm Crossroad, Roto Grip Defiant, DV8 Too Reckless, Brunswick Avalanche Urethane

Ball Speed: 18Mph
    Rev Rate: 450
    Current average: 199
    High game: 300
    High Series: 769

SandBagger

Quote Originally Posted by e-tank View Post
    What did you use for insulation? I think i read foil but it looks bubbly in the pics?
    Ya it does have like bubble wrap looking stuff in the middle. To be honest i don't know exactly what its called. I was just standing in the insulation section at Lowes, saw it and thought it would do a good job and keeping the heat in. Im going by Lowes again tomoorow and while im there ill get the name.

*UPDATE*

I believe its this stuff right here.

http://www.homedepot.com/Heating-Ven...&storeId=10051
    Last edited by edpup316; 02-15-2013 at 06:19 PM.
    Arsenal: Buzz attack Stinger, Bloody Cross Royal, Big Kahuna Congo, Big Kahuna Tribal, Morpheus Dream, Graffiti, YOLO, YOLO Pearl

Chats: 243

Ah i see. Looks like an upgrade over plain foil. I have everything but the insulation so i might be making one tomorrow
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Storm Crossroad, Roto Grip Defiant, DV8 Too Reckless, Brunswick Avalanche Urethane

Ball Speed: 18Mph
    Rev Rate: 450
    Current average: 199
    High game: 300
    High Series: 769

Chats: 131

seems pretty cool to me! too bad my space in my house is too small to build something like that.. haha!
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums.

In the Bag:
    DV8: Hell Raiser Revenge, Diva
    Columbia300: White Dot Black Berry Polyester
    Brunswick: NeXXus f(P+R)
    Substitute Balls:
    Storm: Sure Fire
    Ebonite: Pursuit
    Retired:
    Lane 1: MaxXx Curve
    Current High Score / Series: 237 / 635
    Style: Power Tweener
    Average Score: 180

Aim for Balls:
    Misfit Pearl
    Marauder
    Brutal Nightmare

TONIGHT WE BOWL! DV8 DAMN GOOD BOWLING

SandBagger

Quote Originally Posted by e-tank View Post
    Ah i see. Looks like an upgrade over plain foil. I have everything but the insulation so i might be making one tomorrow
    Right on! Would love to see how someone else puts it together. *TIP* you dont have to use reptile basking lights. I found out you can use halogen or incandecent flood lights and they are generally cheaper then the reptile lights. besure to keep the wattage around 100-150. Lower then that and it takes too long for the ball to heat up Although, mine may have taken so long to heat up because of my tank being too big.

Chats: 22

This thread is awesome! A homemade ball oven thrown together on the cheap and it works like a charm! Once I get another ball or two in my arsenal I'm going to make one of these. Great job!
    "If a word in the dictionary were misspelled, how would we know?" - Steven Wright

SandBagger

Quote Originally Posted by panbanger View Post
    This thread is awesome! A homemade ball oven thrown together on the cheap and it works like a charm! Once I get another ball or two in my arsenal I'm going to make one of these. Great job!
    Thanks panbanger! I just got the fan so after I figure out how im going to place it I'm going to try and make a little video tutorial on how to build one in case any needs some more visual aid.

This is awesome. It looks great too. What are you using to get the oil off when your rotating the ball? Just wiping it off or using some sort of cleaner?
    In the Bag: Storm Vivid, Hammer Brick, Storm Thunderstruck Pearl
    High Game: 266

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast