Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: *Update* Homemade Bowling Oven

SandBagger
    Chats: 2

Default *Update* Homemade Bowling Oven

After some trial and error I managed to succed at creating my homemade ball oven . The only thing I need now is a fan to circulate the air in order to maintain a more even surface temperature.

set up.jpg

set up 2.jpg

This is my newest setup. I've added an additional lamp and the ball sits in between them underneath a piece of wood that I wraped in insulation.

no oil.jpg
    oil ball.jpg

Here is the before and after of Roto Grip Rising Star. The oil was just pouring out of this ball.

temp.jpg

This here is the laser thermometer that I use. Even when I left the ball in there for over 20 mins it never got much above 130 but I am still going to get a fan to get better heating all the way around the ball.

Any comments and questions would be apprciated!
    Arsenal: Buzz attack Stinger, Bloody Cross Royal, Big Kahuna Congo, Big Kahuna Tribal, Morpheus Dream, Graffiti, YOLO, YOLO Pearl

Chats: 723

Good stuff! i would also say that rotating the ball once in awhile just so the same part of the ball isn't constantly getting the more direct heat source.
    High Game: 246 (300 soon)
    High Series: 627

In The Bag: DV8 MARAUDER, Brunswick Nexxxus, Brunswick T Zone
    USBC Level I Certified Coach
    Youth Bowling Canada Member

I am a proud member of http://BowlingIntel.com bowling Forums

TONIGHT WE BOWL! DV8 DAMN GOOD BOWLING

SandBagger
    Chats: 2

Quote Originally Posted by 75lockwood View Post
    Good stuff! i would also say that rotating the ball once in awhile just so the same part of the ball isn't constantly getting the more direct heat source.

Yes Of Course. I Turn It Every Time I Take It Out To Clean Off The Oil.
    Arsenal: Buzz attack Stinger, Bloody Cross Royal, Big Kahuna Congo, Big Kahuna Tribal, Morpheus Dream, Graffiti, YOLO, YOLO Pearl

Chats: 11

Keep us updated on it... I think your on to something and now gots me to thinking of it
    Style: Stroker
    In the bag: C300 Wicked Encounter, C300 Freeze, Hammer Arson Hybrid, Hammer Cobalt Vibe, and Brunswick T Zone

PAP 4.25 over x .25 up

High Series: 716
    High Game: 273

Blog Entries
    Chats: 116

You are nuts. Keep it up! I will settle for my pro-shop!
    In the Bag: Hammer Nail, Smoke and Fire #13 RG (2.53) Diff (.055) - Bowling a 189 Game
    Open Average: 171 High Open Game: 226
    Tweener; Deep; Medium Loft; Low Backswing ; Speed: 12 MPH

Chats: 243

lol im honestly thinking about giving this a whirl
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Storm Crossroad, Roto Grip Defiant, DV8 Too Reckless, Brunswick Avalanche Urethane

Ball Speed: 18Mph
    Rev Rate: 450
    Current average: 199
    High game: 300
    High Series: 769

This is about as badass as bowling gets.

The pro at my local alley and one of the mechanics cooked up something similar a few weeks ago. They used a speaker box, a heat lamp, and a small fan; their idea was to emulate the trunk of a car on a hot day. They set it up so that the heat lamp doesn't shine on the ball, and they're using the fan to circulate air through the box. He said that the temp in the box only gets up to about 135ºF or 140ºF. I left a ball with him so he could test their sweatbox, as he's calling it, and it seems to have worked very well. He said that the ball I left with him spent four hours in the sweatbox before it quit bleeding oil. After that, he refreshed the surface and put a coat of polish on it, as well. I threw a few shots with it during my last lesson, and I haven't seen that ball hook that much since it was new. I'm considering building something similar to use at home. I just need to get a ball spinner and some abralon pads so that I can refresh the surface on my own, too.

Chats: 4

Now I'm very tempted to try my luck at building one
    of these oven boxes also. At the moment I'm using a
    small portable electric heater with a fan in it to bake
    the oil out of the ball.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    Right handed, ex-cranker now a power tweener approx. 350 - 400 RPM's PAP 4 1/2" over 1" up high league sanctioned game 300 high league sanctioned series 788
    Bill

I gotta say this idea is pretty awesome. So much cheaper than official equipment yet if simple steps are followed there is limited risk to the ball.
    In the Bag: Storm Marvel Pearl, Storm IQ, Columbia 300 White Dot
    In the Locker: Storm Tropical Breeze, RG Defiant, RG Bandit

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast