Thread: Joining a league late?

Blog Entries
    Chats: 5

Default Joining a league late?

I recently looked on bowl.com for leagues and found a sports league at the alley I bowl at most, but they're already in their 6th week or so? Has anyone ever joined a league late? I don't really care about finishing on top or anything. I just want to join my first league already and the next one isn't til summer.
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com
    In the bag: Columbia 300 Mass Eruption (strike ball), DV8 Zombie (spare)
    High game: 233 High series: 578

Chats: 16

I'm a league secretary/treasurer of our Monday league and have people join in late. What did you want to know?
    - Ed

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________________
    Equipment: Hammer 1st Blood (RICO Layout @1500 Polished), Hammer Taboo (RICO Layout @2000 Polished), Hammer Taboo Blue/Silver (RICO Layout @4000), Storm Natural Pearl, Hammer Razyr, Ebonite Maxim

League Average (THS): 207
    High Game Score: 279 (9 in a row)
    High 3 Game Series: 788

PAP: 5 3/4 right 1/4 up
    Ball Speed: Mid 15-16 (Tweener)

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Most members won't have an issue with a person joining late. Most of us want full teams or at least equally numbered teams.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Banned
    Chats: 68

Most of us want teams we can beat... Those are getting harder and harder to find lately.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 5

Well it doesn't look like there are any teams...just individuals. Most of the staff there knows who I am so I'll ask them about it. I'm sure it won't be a problem with these guys gladly taking my money. Haha! It's a sport league, and so far this month I've been averaging a little over 150 on THS, but I'm getting a bit more consistent. I want the challenge though.
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com
    In the bag: Columbia 300 Mass Eruption (strike ball), DV8 Zombie (spare)
    High game: 233 High series: 578

Chats: 16

First to hear about a league not having teams, but only being an individual. It could be a tournament.

Regarding your average, work on avoiding splits and picking up spares.
    - Ed

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________________
    Equipment: Hammer 1st Blood (RICO Layout @1500 Polished), Hammer Taboo (RICO Layout @2000 Polished), Hammer Taboo Blue/Silver (RICO Layout @4000), Storm Natural Pearl, Hammer Razyr, Ebonite Maxim

League Average (THS): 207
    High Game Score: 279 (9 in a row)
    High 3 Game Series: 788

PAP: 5 3/4 right 1/4 up
    Ball Speed: Mid 15-16 (Tweener)

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by ecub View Post
    First to hear about a league not having teams, but only being an individual. It could be a tournament.

Regarding your average, work on avoiding splits and picking up spares.
    The Sport league here in Fairfield CT, DV8 Challenge League at Nutmeg Bowl, is a singles scratch league. Current format is four bowlers per pair, bowlers starting the night on the left lane moving to the left after each game, bowlers starting on the right moving right. Similar to a tournament in that you are competing against everyone else each game. For example, with 24 bowlers this half, whoever has the highest first game will take 23 points for that game. The bowler with the second lowest score will take only one. There is a ten point bonus for a clean game, and we change patterns every three or four weeks.

If that seems crazy, the first summer that I tried it, they would put a different pattern on the right lanes than the left ones. For example they might have Viper on the right side and Shark on the left.
    John

If they will let you join late, I would go for it....
    I was asked if I could put a team together for a local league just a 2 months ago...standard USBC league that had been going on since the fall...Needless to say, we have no chance to place, but it was a nice way to commit to a 'short' league.

I can say that the team I put together is having a GREAT time...no pressure to win, just having fun, and the league we are on is very happy to be able to finish up the season with a full roster (plus the money we are covering for the team that quit half-way through).

Chats: 22

At my alley they have a whiteboard near the entrance that lists which leagues are looking for players to fill up teams. So I would guess that usually people who join late are welcomed.
    "If a word in the dictionary were misspelled, how would we know?" - Steven Wright