Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone can be a pro, Just pay the FEE!

Blog Entries
    Chats: 116

Default Anyone can be a pro, Just pay the FEE!

It looks to me like anyone can bowl in a PBA tournament. just pay the $500 entry fee and roll the dice!
    In the Bag: Hammer Nail, Smoke and Fire #13 RG (2.53) Diff (.055) - Bowling a 189 Game
    Open Average: 171 High Open Game: 226
    Tweener; Deep; Medium Loft; Low Backswing ; Speed: 12 MPH

Chats: 16

Not a pro, but you can compete in the same competition. It just you probably won't make it the first round of qualifications.
    - Ed

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________________
    Equipment: Hammer 1st Blood (RICO Layout @1500 Polished), Hammer Taboo (RICO Layout @2000 Polished), Hammer Taboo Blue/Silver (RICO Layout @4000), Storm Natural Pearl, Hammer Razyr, Ebonite Maxim

League Average (THS): 207
    High Game Score: 279 (9 in a row)
    High 3 Game Series: 788

PAP: 5 3/4 right 1/4 up
    Ball Speed: Mid 15-16 (Tweener)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ecub View Post
    Not a pro, but you can compete in the same competition. It just you probably won't make it the first round of qualifications.
    I watched some of Tuesday and Wednesday and Thursday qualifiers. Some where pretty good and others where just, WOW

These 3 days is where they separate the men from the boys!
    In the Bag: Hammer Nail, Smoke and Fire #13 RG (2.53) Diff (.055) - Bowling a 189 Game

Talking about the USBC masters? I'll be there tomorrow. I just was looking at scores and some of them are pathetically low for a "masters". You are supposed to have a pretty high average to be in it so how people bowl so insanely low is beyond me. Doesn't look like that rough a pattern either.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Greenday View Post
    Talking about the USBC masters? I'll be there tomorrow. I just was looking at scores and some of them are pathetically low for a "masters". You are supposed to have a pretty high average to be in it so how people bowl so insanely low is beyond me. Doesn't look like that rough a pattern either.
    I haven't seen the "insanely low" scores that you're talking about yet, and I don't know how high an average you need to qualify for the Masters. I do know a little about psychology and a little about bowling,( basically just enough to get my self in trouble).

Suppose we have a bowler with a 220 average and that's good enough to enter the Masters. Say that this bowler only bowls at one center and the leagues that he bowls in all use the same relatively easy THS. He or she is fairly accurate on the first ball, + or - 1/2 board at the arrows and + or - 2 boards at the break. Good enough so that he or she has a pretty good strike percentage and the leaves are usually easy one or two pin spares. They also know the house like the back of their hand.

This bowler now shows up at the Masters. That shot that's two boards right at the break goes through the 3 pin for a washout instead of making it back to the pocket. The ball that's two boards left at the break goes through the nose instead of holding pocket. So now his or her strike percentage is down, the pins left up are harder combinations to convert. Now lets throw in some nerves for never having bowled in the Masters before. Some internal pressure, "I have to get a run of strikes 'cause I've already got two opens". "Gee, I thought I hit my mark on that washout, I better make an adjustment" Next thing they know the game is over and they have to switch pairs and get lined up again.
    John

I thought the average was higher, but according to wiki, you just need a 190 average.

And to be honest, if you are a 220 average bowler on a THS but you've never bowled on a sports pattern, playing in the Masters isn't a great idea.

I was looking at the bottom of the scores. Day 1, someone averaged 136.20 over five games. I haven't been bowling seriously for even a year yet and I feel fairly confident I could have walked in and shot a lot better than that. Day 2, scores got a little better, but still guys averaging in the 140s/150s. Today, not much change.

Maybe it's because now when I bowl on sports patterns, my scores don't seem to drop at all and if anything, I'm more consistent in hitting my mark. But it makes me wonder if some of these people even practice sports patterns.

I'm getting there early tomorrow morning. I'm hoping to meet a few different pros if I can. Scott Norton is the must-meet player for me. Guy seems about as humble as it gets and a genuinely nice guy.
    Last edited by Greenday; 02-21-2013 at 08:13 PM.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

You would be surprised at how many "house" bowlers that have never been near a sport pattern think they can walk in to a center and bowl well on sport patterns. I usually laugh as they walk away disgusted.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Quote Originally Posted by billf View Post
    You would be surprised at how many "house" bowlers that have never been near a sport pattern think they can walk in to a center and bowl well on sport patterns. I usually laugh as they walk away disgusted.
    My new teammate used to own a bowling alley. He was sick of people whining if he laid down a harder shot and they weren't scoring high. God forbid people have to try to do well.

Blog Entries

i was watching the PBA one time and the announcers said that I could walk into a PBA certified house and bowl on any of the patterns that I see on TV.

When does this happen?

Ringer
    Chats: 23

Quote Originally Posted by unclemantis View Post
    It looks to me like anyone can bowl in a PBA tournament. just pay the $500 entry fee and roll the dice!
    I am not trying to start anything but go find yourself a league to go bowl with and feel a little pressure in your game when your team is counting on you to make a good shot. Then amplify it by alot more when you are bowling with the greatest bowlers in the world. Open bowling can take you only so far.
    Equipment:
    Motiv: Forza, Forza Redine, Venom Shock, Tag
    Storm: Sky Rocket
    Track 100P Spare Ball

To be drilled: Motiv Jackal

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast