Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Kind of Team Are You On ?

Chats: 0

Default What Kind of Team Are You On ?

My team (I am team captain !!) is a bunch of fun loving party animals. We are a bit of a wild card because our handicaps vary so much. It makes us difficult to play.

Bro has a handicap of about 95...his game has improved so while he often bowls close to 100 when he's on he can top 170...he scores nicely for our team.

I go next and have a handicap of about 50.....I can usually take 2 of 3 games and have the second highest points won total on the team. Not bad for a relative noob.

Big Papa has a handicap around 40 and is a good consistant roller. He has really come on lately and has been putting good series together for the team. He usually drives me to the lanes because he lives next door. He's also my golf league partner..to say we get along is an understatement.

Banger is our anchor man...best bowler on the team (obviously) with a handicap of about 20 and loads of fun. He's also a damn good golfer and I imagine if its a sport that involves a ball he would be good at it.

The icing on the cake is our team has been in first place for about 6 weeks and we keep extending our lead. It was 13 points last week and though it was a squeeker we still won and took 11 points.

I cant wait to see the standings this wek!!

So...what is your squad like....fun....serious...great...terrible...inquir ing minds want to know.

We have a middle of the road team, that can get to the upper end of the stands, but also get out butts handed to us.
    1st bowler carries a 170 average
    2nd carries a 150 average
    3rd has a 185
    4th(me) has a 197
    5th guy has a 195
    Like I said when we are on we can do really well, but at times we give enough handicap, that if the other team, bowls their average or higher we lose even making our averages.

probably one of my favorite teams was a 4 person summer league team. we had a fifth and rotated out
    2 girls right around 100
    me an another guy had low averages around 140, and last guy averaged around 200

we got enough handicap and blew up people like crazy. we were in first for the majority of the first half. then in about 3 weeks everything went to ****. one guy's work schedule changed, he had to quit. the one girl i didn't want on the team cause I told everyone she would just stop showing up a few weeks in, of course thats what she did. and then our 200 guy who had been limping around with a "groin" problem the last 7-8 months (and bowling anyway) finally went to see the dr and found out it was a shattered hip.

so the last 4 weeks or so it was just me and the one girl bowling.

Chats: 16

Monday Mixed League - I'm the secretary/treasurer. I'm average around 200 here. This is a mixed league, with majority averaging about 170. There are only about 5 of us averaging over 200+. I get frustrated with my team here, because 1 girl complains about her leaving a 10 or 7, instead of a strike, because **** hit the 1-3 pocket. She thinks all her 1-3 pocket shots are all good. Another guy also complains he leaves allot of 10 pins or worse, 8-10 split. I keep telling him his shots are light. I usually use this league to sort of practice.

Wednesday Men's League - This is where I usually make the money. I average 200 here. This is one of the most competitive leagues in the house and also one of the leagues you can make money. The really good money makers are the 240+ bowlers or the 195 or so bowlers, since they both have more of a potential to shoot big scores. I have fun in this league, because we play cards. If someone gets stuck (everyone strikes except for that person), then they put in a extra $1 in the card game. Our team also has a potential to get a free beer frame (5th). Most of the guys here are nice guys, so I have fun.

Thursday Men's League - I'm a sub here, so I'm not making anything. I usually struggle in this house, because I can't figure out the pattern. I try to get some pots, but usually don't win.

Sunday Mixed - Just recently started in this league, since one of their bowlers left. This is a sort of fun league, because most of the bowlers are of the same nationality, Filipinos.
    - Ed

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________________
    Equipment: Hammer 1st Blood (RICO Layout @1500 Polished), Hammer Taboo (RICO Layout @2000 Polished), Hammer Taboo Blue/Silver (RICO Layout @4000), Storm Natural Pearl, Hammer Razyr, Ebonite Maxim

League Average (THS): 207
    High Game Score: 279 (9 in a row)
    High 3 Game Series: 788

PAP: 5 3/4 right 1/4 up
    Ball Speed: Mid 15-16 (Tweener)

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Sunday moring trio I only sub here so it varies

Monday Men's Handicap league Derrick leads off, averaging 227 at the moment. Rod bowls second, averaging 170. Chris bowls third, averaging 170. Chuck averages 190. I currently bowl anchor and have been struggling with a 234 average. It's 80% of 220 so I feel we still have an advantage in the 1 & 5 spots. We won the first half and need to push hard to avoid a season ending roll-off. We do better when we just have fun and don't take a look at the points. You get a point for each game a member wins, team game win and totals per member. Team total is 3 points. Or something like that lol

Tuesday Men's Scratch league. I bowl second. Our leadoff man just changed due to an injury. We talk about everything and everything. It's a very serious league and my first year in this one. Many of the other teams are upset that I'm bowling in the two spot with a 238 average. I didn't pick the order and don't really care.

Saturday Niters Mixed doubles, 90% of 200. I know the handicap is suppose to be based off the higher averages but it isn't. It's team score. Derrick & I bowl 3rd & 4th respectively. This is our practice league. Also was our first league. It's social and fun only so much so that I don't know the standings or our averages. This league can be a challenge due to the excessive alcohol consumption and being league president.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Chats: 506

saturdays well its my sister who replaced our bowler who never showed up and destroyed are 1st place run in the 1st half then me andrea and then vince i believe is our new order we try to have fun but we all want to win and do good drinking is part of the fun

Sundays is a fun league a few people from work got my buddy to get a bowl and shoe and bag and now i get to coach him =D
    Stroker
    Ball Speed : 17mph Rev Rate : 300-325 PAP : 4 1/2
    Balls : Hammer Taboo Deep Purple Roto Grip Shatter Roto Grip Scream Hammer absolute hook
    Avg 182 high game 291 High series 709
    bowling 2 leagues and everyday i can

Member ID: 9407-9357

Thursday mixed league, 4-person

First I start off (174) average and feel like I am improving, 191 average last week. I am laid back, but I really have to focus on my form to stay on target and get marks.
    Second and third are father and son. Both can get on fire and throw 250 games but both can get on fire and become hotheads due to the pins not going their way. Father(165) & Son(180).
    Fourth, "the kid", he was tops in the region when he was in high school. Holding a 213, has been struggling as of late, but he is a finisher and thrives under pressure. Last week, finished the first game and second games with all strikes in the 10th frames. We won the first game by 3 and the second by 5. The other team was finished, he knew what he needed and and made it happen.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 30

Monday Night Mens
    This is the most serious of the leagues I'm in. We're USBC Sanctioned and about 20% of the league has at some point in the past or currently still competes at the PA State Competition. I'll be going for the first time in May. I sub in this league. I've got two weeks under my belt. The first week I subbed for a friend that I used to bowl with in this league in 2004-05 and 05-06. But as league sub, I can be claimed by any team and will be bowling on a different team for this guy Dave who has knee issues, so I'll be subbing for him for the next 4-5 weeks, or more. Our stat sheets are here: http://www.leaguesecretary.com/thund...standings.aspx

Wednesday Night Mixed
    This is a family fun non-sanctioned league. League averages range from 90-205, but the teams are well balanced at this time, the top 5 (of 6 total teams) are within 1 or 2 games of each other and there could be leap-frogging going on this week. My team consists of a guy in his mid-40s who throws a backhanded straight ball and averages 160, followed by two grandmom sisters, who throw a straight ball and average about 120-125 between them. Then there's me, the righty stroker with a 175+ average. Most other teams (all but one) feature an anchor stroker/cranker averaging 170+ and a mix of other levels. I think our team is perhaps the most balanced, which is probably why we manage to be in the top 2-3 of the league. We were solely in 1st place, til last week... when we got swept and now we're tied for first.

Thursday Night Mixed
    I just joined this USBC sanctioned league about two weeks ago. Amazingly clicked really well with my teammates; a couple of guys were from the same high school as me and we're about the same age. One of which, the team captain, has so much personality. The guy is hilarious and makes it so much fun to bowl. He leads off, carries a 130ish average and doesn't take himself or his game too seriously at all. Second is our gal, who is pretty awesome; she's the youngest on the team, but not far behind. She's been bowling with them for about six years and continues to improve. She's a righty straight ball thrower and carries about a 140 average. Then there's the older guy, maybe 40-something. He throws a straight ball but puts a little hook on it and averages just under 150. Then the other guy from high school, who throws a straight ball right-handed stroker-style and can throw 180s or 110s depending how he's feeling when he steps up to the approach. Totally inconsistent, but hilarious, just the same. Then me, who is still getting comfortable mixing the fun and antics while trying to maintain an honest USBC average. We're about the middle of the pack, but the upper-middle, and with 7 weeks left, hope to finish in the upper echelon of the 18 team league.

No matter who I bowl with, I have fun and feel I can improve my game because each night offers different conditions and lines. Monday Night is the biggest challenge because a large majority throws the same or similar lines. Wednesday and Thursday are more for fun and to challenge myself to beat my series the week before, at least crack that 560 mark. Hoping to string 600s again like I was in January. (: .)
    Last edited by SmilingBowler; 02-23-2013 at 11:32 PM.
    RIGHTY STROKER 12-14 MPH (: .)EBONITE Innovate (: .)ROTO GRIP Disturbed
    USBC: Avg: 176.3 HiG: 257 HiS: 631 || Lifetime HiG: 279 Lifetime HiS: 689
    My BowlingBoards Blog features Lifetime High Scores Proud Member of BowlingBoards.com

I'm on a senior league team that bowls on Friday at 1 P.M. We have 4 person teams and, for a town of 100,000, we have 23 teams ,which I think is good. My wife has a 125 average, I have a 150 (though I'm out for the rest of the league with a hip replacement) The other two have averages of 175. We all just have fun and socialize, it isn't serious, though we like to win. I'm going to try bowling in June because the state seniors tournament is in July.I haven't been bowling long and improve each time I go. We have free senior bowling on Monday, no taps for seniors on Wednesday and league on Friday. I usually bowl one or two of the other days also. Great sport!

Quote Originally Posted by backlasher View Post
    I'm on a senior league team that bowls on Friday at 1 P.M. We have 4 person teams and, for a town of 100,000, we have 23 teams ,which I think is good. My wife has a 125 average, I have a 150 (though I'm out for the rest of the league with a hip replacement) The other two have averages of 175. We all just have fun and socialize, it isn't serious, though we like to win. I'm going to try bowling in June because the state seniors tournament is in July.I haven't been bowling long and improve each time I go. We have free senior bowling on Monday, no taps for seniors on Wednesday and league on Friday. I usually bowl one or two of the other days also. Great sport!

How long are you supposed to stay out with the hip replacement? My friend got a new hip in late march last year and he bowled here and there about a month later and then in the summer league that started in late may.

That may seem fairly quick, but he was also 27, so maybe the recovery time was a bit quicker?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast