Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Working Out...

Default Working Out...

I was just wondering, what kind of strength training do you do to help stay in good bowling shape?

I've never really worked out, even when I was bowling every day. Bowling was my workout. I've always wondered how much my game would improve if I were actually in some kind of shape - other than round.

Keep in mind, I don't have access to a gym. All I have is two dumbbells, some weight plates, and my bowling balls which, when put in a ball polisher with handles, can double as a 15-pound kettlebell.
    In the bag: Roto Grip Defiant Soul, Brunswick BVP Nemesis, Motiv 2Cruel

Chats: 506

leg workouts and wrist would be the 2 off the top of my head
    Stroker
    Ball Speed : 17mph Rev Rate : 300-325 PAP : 4 1/2
    Balls : Hammer Taboo Deep Purple Roto Grip Shatter Roto Grip Scream Hammer absolute hook
    Avg 182 high game 291 High series 709
    bowling 2 leagues and everyday i can

Member ID: 9407-9357

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Lunges with your kettlebells would be great. Any exercises that strengthen the core always help.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Wrist exercises, shoulder, arms. Probably the most important muscles to strengthen. Cardio probably would be good overall. Certainly never hurts.

Stretch. Biggest problems I have tend to deal with flexibility. I don't have a very flexible hip flexor which is a problem with getting low at the line. Being more flexible will make staying loose a lot easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenday View Post
    Wrist exercises, shoulder, arms. Probably the most important muscles to strengthen. Cardio probably would be good overall. Certainly never hurts.

Stretch. Biggest problems I have tend to deal with flexibility. I don't have a very flexible hip flexor which is a problem with getting low at the line. Being more flexible will make staying loose a lot easier.
    the shoulder and arm work outs should be for endurance not to get big and dont let working out make u think u can muscle the ball bad things will only happen
    Stroker
    Balls : Hammer Taboo Deep Purple Roto Grip Shatter Roto Grip Scream Hammer absolute hook

Chats: 0

I've been doing P90X (and its variants) for a couple years now. It's helped my bowling (and everything else I do) immensely. It's really just an overall fitness program but it's very comprehensive as it includes stretching, strength training, cardio and core fitness.

I used to get pulled hamstrings and sore shoulders from a long day of tournaments or bowling, now it doesn't even phase me.

It absolutely makes you a better bowler to be in good shape. Can you be a slob and be good? Of course, but like all physical activities the better your baseline the more your potential improves.

Best part about P90X is you can do it with minimal equipment (dumb bells or bands, a chair, and a towel) in your living room. If you get really fancy a pullup bar from a door frame.
    Last edited by swingset; 02-25-2013 at 09:33 AM.

Chats: 243

Fyi if anybody wants a workout routine just PM me. Ive been lifting almost 10 years, im a personal trainer and will soon have a degree in exercise science (Just so you guys know im not some broscience goob on the internet)
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Storm Crossroad, Roto Grip Defiant, DV8 Too Reckless, Brunswick Avalanche Urethane

Ball Speed: 18Mph
    Rev Rate: 450
    Current average: 199
    High game: 300
    High Series: 769

Quote Originally Posted by noeymc View Post
    the shoulder and arm work outs should be for endurance not to get big and dont let working out make u think u can muscle the ball bad things will only happen
    I'm not saying work out to get jacked, just to strengthen them. Your shoulder and arm will tire out quickly if they aren't very strong.

Cranker
    Chats: 7

The best workout is core,back & legs. No upper body as your legs is what you use for power!

Zothen

Quote Originally Posted by Greenday View Post
    I'm not saying work out to get jacked, just to strengthen them. Your shoulder and arm will tire out quickly if they aren't very strong.
    i was just clearing it up
    Stroker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast