Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PBA Made YouTube Delete ESPN Telecasts

What is Bowling?
    Chats: 0

Default PBA Made YouTube Delete ESPN Telecasts

I don't know how many of you watched ESPN telecasts on YouTube, but I thought it was a great resource for catching PBA finals after they aired. I'd watch them on ESPN live, on those rarer and rarer occasions when they were shown live, and watch them or parts of them again later on YouTube. But now we can't do this because the PBA told YouTube to delete postings of telecasts from this season, and I'm wondering if they aren't shooting themselves in the foot by doing this.

After all, not all of us can afford cable TV to watch the telecasts on ESPN these days, and many bowling fans outside the USA can't get ESPN anyway. What's more, not everyone can afford PBA Xtra Frame, and even many subscribers have it not to watch playbacks of ESPN telecasts but for the reams of other content it carries. So, I'm wondering if the PBA wouldn't attract more fans to the telecasts and to Xtra Frame by either allowing others to post videos of the telecasts to YouTube or by posting those videos themselves the way they used to instead of prohibiting these videos on YouTube the way they're doing now. What do you think? Here's my recent blogpost on the issue.

Some people make their living through YouTube content and advertisements, but for some reason, the PBA doesn't appear to believe it's justification enough to post the shows there.

As for having them removed from other people's accounts, well, it's their intellectual property. You wouldn't go around posting other TV shows on YouTube and get away with it.

I pay for XtraFrame, but I don't like watching the telecasts there. YouTube has a better structure for digital content, but the PBA prefers more exclusive control, it seems.
    Current Arsenal: Brunswick and Radical Bowling Balls (too many to list)
    Highest 13-14 Avg: ---H -- Highest 12-13 Avg: 155S 198H -- Highest 11-12 Avg: 180H
    Highest Sanctioned Game: 279 -- Highest Sanctioned Series: 798
    Spec Sheet

Chats: 1

I saw the ad for Xtra frames during the televised showing of PBA Masters on Sunday and was thinking "I would love to have it, but am not willing to let another vendor into my pocket every month.". It looks like they are trying to control the product and funnel it through Xtra frames exclusively.

Boy do I miss the pre 911 days when we had open broadcast TV for free. All you needed was a TV and some rabbit ears.
    I live by three simples rules:

1. Don't ever ask about my business
    2. Never discuss business at the table
    3. Don't ever side with anyone against the family

Blog Entries
    Chats: 116

This XtraFrames thing is a scam. It is PBA's way of licensing and owning and making more money out of human beings
    In the Bag: Hammer Nail, Smoke and Fire #13 RG (2.53) Diff (.055) - Bowling a 189 Game
    Open Average: 171 High Open Game: 226
    Tweener; Deep; Medium Loft; Low Backswing ; Speed: 12 MPH

Ringer
    Chats: 23

Quote Originally Posted by unclemantis View Post
    This XtraFrames thing is a scam. It is PBA's way of licensing and owning and making more money out of human beings
    It is not a scam, you get to see all qualifying live which no other place carries. A huge backlog of old matches and all without having to search on youtube for exactly what you want. I guess if you can't afford it, you would think it was a scam because they are holding all the shows hostage to those who aren't paying. But it is their property, they have all rights to make money off of it. The UFC is the same way, they pulled all their fights off youtube.
    Equipment:
    Motiv: Forza, Forza Redine, Venom Shock, Tag
    Storm: Sky Rocket
    Track 100P Spare Ball

To be drilled: Motiv Jackal

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by scottymoney View Post
    It is not a scam, you get to see all qualifying live which no other place carries. A huge backlog of old matches and all without having to search on youtube for exactly what you want. I guess if you can't afford it, you would think it was a scam because they are holding all the shows hostage to those who aren't paying. But it is their property, they have all rights to make money off of it. The UFC is the same way, they pulled all their fights off youtube.
    You are so right.

My dad got XtraFrames for a month and all of the backlog ESPN shows still have their commercials in tact. Unless ESPN is still getting paid for those commercials it would be nice if they would splice them out.
    In the Bag: Hammer Nail, Smoke and Fire #13 RG (2.53) Diff (.055) - Bowling a 189 Game

Ringer
    Chats: 23

Quote Originally Posted by unclemantis View Post
    You are so right.

My dad got XtraFrames for a month and all of the backlog ESPN shows still have their commercials in tact. Unless ESPN is still getting paid for those commercials it would be nice if they would splice them out.
    I don't find the commercials to be an issue as you can skip over them. Just like it was on a DVR. Don't call it a scam and then back track.
    Equipment:
    Motiv: Forza, Forza Redine, Venom Shock, Tag
    Storm: Sky Rocket
    Track 100P Spare Ball

To be drilled: Motiv Jackal

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by scottymoney View Post
    I don't find the commercials to be an issue as you can skip over them. Just like it was on a DVR. Don't call it a scam and then back track.
    I tend to do that. I don't think before I type.

Sorry to offend and

Chats: 723

Bowlingvideos4all has this year's telecasts up if anyone was having trouble finding since sundaysareforbowling was shut down

https://www.youtube.com/user/bowlingvideos4all
    High Game: 246 (300 soon)
    High Series: 627

In The Bag: DV8 MARAUDER, Brunswick Nexxxus, Brunswick T Zone
    USBC Level I Certified Coach
    Youth Bowling Canada Member

I am a proud member of http://BowlingIntel.com bowling Forums

TONIGHT WE BOWL! DV8 DAMN GOOD BOWLING

Chats: 0

Darn first my Anime and now bowling gone from youtube. All joking aside I'm pretty sad about it I just started into bowling and watching it on youtube I was able to find a whole lot of left handed bowlers to try and study from. As well as giving me the chance to familiarize myself with the different professional bowlers. I remember when I saw Parker at the start of the major this year and it flashed back to him with a mustache. I was like hey that is the guy I saw on youtube. lol
    High game: 232/High series 587. Arsenal: Hammer Backlash, Tzone Catchphrase: Those pins just got smoked (followed by the double hand pistols) Catchphrase performed rate: 0%
    Faceplants on alley: 2 Reason for signature: everyone here has really fancy ones.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast