Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thumb hole too big!

The main reasons for a swelling thumb (not counting previous injuries) is wrong thumb pitch, gripping with the thumb, and a thumb hole that is too large (which makes the bowler grip... see #2). Generally speaking, you should never put tape in the front of the thumb hole. Among other reasons, if you use more than two to three pieces of tape, it changes your span.

After correcting pitches and thumb sizes (some require oval milling), my customers actually go down two or three thumb sizes because the thumb stopped swelling. I've even got two guys that went down four to five sizes because the callous they developed after years of bowling with the wrong fit diminished.

Chats: 16

I had issues of thumb swelling due to diet, depending on what I ate or drank prior to bowling, I can expect it to swell.
    - Ed

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________________
    Equipment: Hammer 1st Blood (RICO Layout @1500 Polished), Hammer Taboo (RICO Layout @2000 Polished), Hammer Taboo Blue/Silver (RICO Layout @4000), Storm Natural Pearl, Hammer Razyr, Ebonite Maxim

League Average (THS): 207
    High Game Score: 279 (9 in a row)
    High 3 Game Series: 788

PAP: 5 3/4 right 1/4 up
    Ball Speed: Mid 15-16 (Tweener)

Quote Originally Posted by billf View Post
    I've broke my thumb three times.
    How did you break you thumb three times?

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

At work with a dead blow hammer. I use my left hand for most things but prefer to bowl with my right. Swing hammer, miss target, smash thumb. The last time a piece of bone went out the tip and on the floor. Split it open real good. Same way the second time without the bone fragment exiting. First time was in a Philipino prison where the guards broke my knuckles for me.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Quote Originally Posted by billf View Post
    At work with a dead blow hammer. I use my left hand for most things but prefer to bowl with my right. Swing hammer, miss target, smash thumb. The last time a piece of bone went out the tip and on the floor. Split it open real good. Same way the second time without the bone fragment exiting. First time was in a Philipino prison where the guards broke my knuckles for me.
    I swear Bill, they need to make a movie about your life. Who would you like to play you on the big screen?
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    Storm Modern Marvel
    Radical Time's Up
    Storm Black Ice

Blog Entries

They don't have any movie stars ugly enough to play me.
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Key Bowling Staff Member

IBPSIA member

I too use bowlers tape when the thumb is a little big. I would rather more space rather than a tight fit, and you can always make it smaller in a minute, but you can't make it bigger in the same time!

As far as swelling fingers, anytime I feel that my fingers are swelling, in between frames I hold my hand up, to draw the blood away from the fingers, and it helps to keep my fingers from swelling. Try it!

What is Bowling?
    Chats: 0

Does anyone have my problem? My thumb starts out so big I can hardly get it into the thumb hole then it begins to shrink and by the middle of the first game I have added tape twice to my thumb. Sometimes even more later.

Blog Entries

I have that on a daily basis. Then there comes a time, around game 20 that is starts to swell again. It's why I use interchangeable thumb inserts and have quite the variety of sizes. In the long run it's cheaper than tape.
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Key Bowling Staff Member

IBPSIA member

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12