Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2013 Open Championship Oil Patterns

Chats: 256

Quote Originally Posted by billf View Post
    Do you use a plastic ball for those? I'm asking because my first thought was, why?
    I do use plastic, but for some reason I had to change my angle quite a bit and go much straighter up the lane to get my 3,6,9 or 10's that I left. Not sure what it was but angling across the lane like I typically do did not work for me there.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Ok, good to know. I had a tournament about two months ago that the same thing happened to me. I thought I was doing something wrong that weekend with my spare shooting but seeing as you ran into the same thing I'm beginning to wonder.
    I also noticed Fagan shooting straighter at spares on some patterns more than others. Makes one wonder.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Quote Originally Posted by billf View Post
    Ok, good to know. I had a tournament about two months ago that the same thing happened to me. I thought I was doing something wrong that weekend with my spare shooting but seeing as you ran into the same thing I'm beginning to wonder.
    I also noticed Fagan shooting straighter at spares on some patterns more than others. Makes one wonder.
    Going through this since I'll be bowling on the pattern tonight, I got to this last post and my coach and I were talking about this. You'd think, throwing a straight ball, it'd be the same at every house yet it isn't. When I'm at my practice alley, I stand on 34, throw over 20 for my ten-pin shots. At league, I stand on 35, throw over 19. You'd think it'd be the opposite because the second house is much more oily, but beats me.

If I recall correctly, when my team had the practice lane for Nationals, I personally felt I was getting a much better reaction when I was throwing straighter down around 7-8 then I was 10 board. More hook, better pin action. Two of the guys agreed with me, but since I was the most inexperienced, my opinion didn't get much weight and the team stuck with the 10 board. They did okay, but I felt we were doing better when we went just a hair outside more. Since I'm bowling by myself on the singles/doubles pattern tonight, I'm going to go with what I wanted to try.

Chats: 256

Quote Originally Posted by Greenday View Post
    Going through this since I'll be bowling on the pattern tonight, I got to this last post and my coach and I were talking about this. You'd think, throwing a straight ball, it'd be the same at every house yet it isn't. When I'm at my practice alley, I stand on 34, throw over 20 for my ten-pin shots. At league, I stand on 35, throw over 19. You'd think it'd be the opposite because the second house is much more oily, but beats me.

If I recall correctly, when my team had the practice lane for Nationals, I personally felt I was getting a much better reaction when I was throwing straighter down around 7-8 then I was 10 board. More hook, better pin action. Two of the guys agreed with me, but since I was the most inexperienced, my opinion didn't get much weight and the team stuck with the 10 board. They did okay, but I felt we were doing better when we went just a hair outside more. Since I'm bowling by myself on the singles/doubles pattern tonight, I'm going to go with what I wanted to try.
    How did you do Greenday? What did you think about the differences in the Team and S/D pattern? billf are you going to be bowling Nationals at all?
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

We leave for Reno on Thursday and bowl Friday. We have been practicing on this oil pattern for quite a while now. Our scratch leagues put this pattern down for the last couple of months to give everyone decent practice.

Our two teams have a game plan going in of breaking everything down outside to give us some room to play. We will all be throwing it up 5 to break down the out of bounds as much as we can and then move in once we have a good look. Most of us will be using a solid coverstock, something with good surface and putting our breakpoint around 7-9 board probably. My Storm Reign of Power has been great when I practice on the pattern so we will see if that holds up. We have a practice session Friday morning so we will see how it plays out.
    Levi "Lucky" Lauck - USBC Silver Coach - U.B.A. Member

UBowling.com is a new bowling website created as a resource of bowling news, reviews and information to help grow and improve the bowling community.

Quote Originally Posted by vdubtx View Post
    How did you do Greenday? What did you think about the differences in the Team and S/D pattern? billf are you going to be bowling Nationals at all?
    Well, the tournament I was in used the Masters' pattern instead. The Masters pattern is definitely tougher than the Open patterns IMO. It's tough to compare the S/D pattern to the Team pattern for me because when I did the team, it was ten people total bowling on the two lanes. When I did the S/D pattern, it was a side-tournament and it was three of us. Naturally, the team pattern broke down faster. I felt like I had just the tiniest bit more wiggle room on the S/D pattern though.

Quote Originally Posted by UBowling View Post
    We leave for Reno on Thursday and bowl Friday. We have been practicing on this oil pattern for quite a while now. Our scratch leagues put this pattern down for the last couple of months to give everyone decent practice.

Our two teams have a game plan going in of breaking everything down outside to give us some room to play. We will all be throwing it up 5 to break down the out of bounds as much as we can and then move in once we have a good look. Most of us will be using a solid coverstock, something with good surface and putting our breakpoint around 7-9 board probably. My Storm Reign of Power has been great when I practice on the pattern so we will see if that holds up. We have a practice session Friday morning so we will see how it plays out.
    I feel like that might be a little too far, as I'd rather break down the 7-8 boards, this way I could move just a little inside towards the ten. But it depends on your teams' style. I saw a lot of teams having trouble that bowled on the outside getting their balls to come back.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12