Thread: Slide Soles - A Happy Accident

Chats: 36

Default Slide Soles - A Happy Accident

The other week in my Wednesday AM Seniors' League the approach on one lane was soooo slippery that I changes the sliding sole on my SST8 from a #8 (long sliding) sole to a #6 (still a sliding sole but lesser) as I figured I would need to nearly "plant" instead of slide. What I found out was that the #6 gave me a very secure feeling - very solid and stable. With my practice on balance at the line and the new sole i am feeling much more secure at the line as my slide has been reduced by about 50%.

My favorite combo now is a #5 heel and a #6 sole...

Jay
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    IN THE BAG > RG -Hyper Cell Fused, Menace; Storm -Code Black, Reign of Power, Lock; [COLOR=#006400;,Track - Hx-10, [B]"
    High Game/High Series - 299(2)/300(13)/856 (Elmira, NY in 1980); Member of Corning, NY Junior Bowling HOF.
    Tweener; PAP= 4.75 over x .75 up/Tilt 10 degrees/Axis of rotation 40 degrees/Revs = 368 and speed is 16.86 MPH average.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

I use a Chris Barnes trick and cut my soles in half. One half is a 10 the other an 8. It's still not enough for a real long slide but that's probably due to my being 200 pounds.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Chats: 16

Quote Originally Posted by The German Shepherd View Post
    The other week in my Wednesday AM Seniors' League the approach on one lane was soooo slippery that I changes the sliding sole on my SST8 from a #8 (long sliding) sole to a #6 (still a sliding sole but lesser) as I figured I would need to nearly "plant" instead of slide. What I found out was that the #6 gave me a very secure feeling - very solid and stable. With my practice on balance at the line and the new sole i am feeling much more secure at the line as my slide has been reduced by about 50%.

My favorite combo now is a #5 heel and a #6 sole...

Jay
    I had something similar happen to me a few years ago. I normally use #6, and got used to slide then skipping, instead of sliding through. One day, the soles got wet and I only had #8 available. I had a hart time adjust, but after a few frames, I was liking it allot more. I was more accurate, since I got rid of the skipping.
    - Ed

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________________
    Equipment: Hammer 1st Blood (RICO Layout @1500 Polished), Hammer Taboo (RICO Layout @2000 Polished), Hammer Taboo Blue/Silver (RICO Layout @4000), Storm Natural Pearl, Hammer Razyr, Ebonite Maxim

League Average (THS): 207
    High Game Score: 279 (9 in a row)
    High 3 Game Series: 788

PAP: 5 3/4 right 1/4 up
    Ball Speed: Mid 15-16 (Tweener)

Ringer
    Chats: 23

Quote Originally Posted by billf View Post
    I use a Chris Barnes trick and cut my soles in half. One half is a 10 the other an 8. It's still not enough for a real long slide but that's probably due to my being 200 pounds.
    Lol I thought about the old fairytale of cutting the girl in half when I read this!

I did get a new pair of dexter Seth's and I see a much better improvement in my slide and I don't stick as much. Moral of the story replace shoes more often if you don't have the interchangeable soles or try to keep them clean.
    Equipment:
    Motiv: Forza, Forza Redine, Venom Shock, Tag
    Storm: Sky Rocket
    Track 100P Spare Ball

To be drilled: Motiv Jackal