Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Simple common courtesy???

Blog Entries
    Chats: 67

You hit that pin on the head. I know exactly what

Blog Entries
    Chats: 67

I know exactly what you are talking about.
    all you can do is just stand there and wait and it is totally frustrating.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

During league it's league rules. During open bowl it's open bowl rules. By that I mean, they have a right to have kids and parties there just as much as I have a right to be there. It doesn't bother me one bit and has even led to giving lessons and/or getting people signed up for leagues. I practice to get better but at the same time feel it's my responsibility to do my best to be an ambassador for the sport.

There was a Saturday that the alley was packed. I was giving a lesson to a girl on the High School JV team. She always prefers I bowl with her and show her exactly what I want her to do. As we were putting our shoes on a young boy from the team came in. She offered to let him bowl with us. This kid kept rushing two men to our left, employees off the clock. They didn't say a word due to their jobs. The girl asked him at least six times to stop rushing the approach and even trying to scare guys. The last time he told her to "shut up". I lost it. In front of the whole world I said, "Alex, are you always a rude *** or is it just our special day?"
    He packed up and left right away without saying a word to me. Coach heard from the many team members who were there at the time and he got benched for two matches.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Chats: 506

i like all the noise and everything it helps me learn to block more out but i just just till the people next to me if u dont no the rules if i am up here your not if ur up there i am not lets keep it simple thats all i need form u thank u
    Stroker
    Ball Speed : 17mph Rev Rate : 300-325 PAP : 4 1/2
    Balls : Hammer Taboo Deep Purple Roto Grip Shatter Roto Grip Scream Hammer absolute hook
    Avg 182 high game 291 High series 709
    bowling 2 leagues and everyday i can

Member ID: 9407-9357

Chats: 0

I try and time my shots for right after a person throws theirs, if they aren't following the rules.
    Like others have said open bowling can be any ones guess as to who you will have on the lanes around you.
    I agree if someone is really getting out of line, say something to them, or ask the staff for help.
    I have cut practice short if I just can't cut what is happening around me.

Typically if the bowlers are next to me are older late 20's I will ask them to be a little curious. Usually it's something like, "Hey, I don't mean to be that guy but, I am trying to get some practice in could you wait till I throw before you throw". I have never gotten a "no" or smart *** answer. Typically they just say, "Sorry" or "I knew better".

Younger kids, I don't really bother asking, I will usually move myself if they are really bad.

I did bowl league with a older man recently who didn't even like you to grab your ball from the return while he was bowling. Sometimes I like to grab my ball and clean it off before my shot. So I will grab my ball during the bowlers turn (never getting on the lane) and wipe it down. He snapped at me about it so I laid off. The other bowlers on his team laughed and said "First time bowling with George?" . It was nice for someone to get in a laugh so I didn't feel awkward the whole night bowling inline with that dude.

It's annoying yes but the average recreational bowler isn't going to exercise lane courtesy. I usually just step off the lane when they step onto the approach and look at them with dagger eyes until they are done with their shot...then I move on and finish my shot. The thing that pisses me off the most is on my league night, there's another league that bowls like half of the lanes, they are all 200+ average players, but them and employees are constantly getting on the mic announcing crap...when my little league is just trying to improve our game. The other night, one guy even SHOUTED a guys name into the microphone right as I was about to take my shot, it startled me so much i actually jumped and had to stop my approach. I was pissed.

Chats: 16

Yep, a recreational bowler isn't going to know everything. I'm a cyclist, and I see allot of idiot recreational cyclists on the road and wonder how some are still alive.

If it really bothers you, let them know, so they WILL know. Otherwise, let things be.
    - Ed

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________________
    Equipment: Hammer 1st Blood (RICO Layout @1500 Polished), Hammer Taboo (RICO Layout @2000 Polished), Hammer Taboo Blue/Silver (RICO Layout @4000), Storm Natural Pearl, Hammer Razyr, Ebonite Maxim

League Average (THS): 207
    High Game Score: 279 (9 in a row)
    High 3 Game Series: 788

PAP: 5 3/4 right 1/4 up
    Ball Speed: Mid 15-16 (Tweener)

Chats: 243

Quote Originally Posted by ecub View Post
    Yep, a recreational bowler isn't going to know everything. I'm a cyclist, and I see allot of idiot recreational cyclists on the road and wonder how some are still alive.

If it really bothers you, let them know, so they WILL know. Otherwise, let things be.
    haha i saw this yesterday. The road had a bike lane but they were riding in the car lane for whatever reason
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Storm Crossroad, Roto Grip Defiant, DV8 Too Reckless, Brunswick Avalanche Urethane

Ball Speed: 18Mph
    Rev Rate: 450
    Current average: 199
    High game: 300
    High Series: 769

Chats: 1

Remember that you capture more flies using sugar than using vinegar.

You can always stand on the approch ready to go. look over at the other bowler about to go. Say and gesture "after you". Let him/her bowl. Comment on his shot "good spare, what ever is polite and respectful" Now, Because you have considered his/her focus , he/she is more likely to reciprocate.

Worst case scenario, you have an exercise in focus.
    I live by three simples rules:

1. Don't ever ask about my business
    2. Never discuss business at the table
    3. Don't ever side with anyone against the family

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast