In an initiative to help grow the sport of bowling both domestically and worldwide, the United States Bowling Congress has hired Team USA members Bill Hoffman and Del Ballard Jr. to join the International Development team.

Hoffman, formerly of Columbus, Ohio, joined USBC as International Development team leader Dec. 5. Ballard, a former Professional Bowlers Association touring player from North Richland Hills, Texas, begins Dec. 29. By joining the USBC staff, both are leaving the USBC Board of Directors with replacements to be announced after voting at a later date by the USBC Athletes Advisory Council.

"Our International Development team will be challenged with the goal of not only promoting bowling worldwide, but also developing partnerships to help cover the costs of the program," USBC Chief Operating Officer Kevin Dornberger said. "It is my expectation that the International Development team will be self-sustaining."

Hoffman has been involved with the sport of bowling for more than 20 years. The 1999 and 2003 U.S. National Amateur champion is a six-time Team USA member. The former full-time amateur bowler has served as a delegate to the Federation Internationale des Quilleurs, World Tenpin Bowling Association and on the USA Bowling International Relations Committee. He currently is a member of the WTBA Tournament Committee.

"The initial step is learning what other countries need, then developing programs to help grow the sport in their countries," said Hoffman before leaving on his first assignment in Qatar. "My international bowling experience has led me to develop relationships with WTBA member federations, athletes and some proprietors. That combination puts me in a unique position to help them understand their needs."

Ballard is a 13-time PBA titlist and a member of USBC Team USA in 2008. Among his pro titles are four majors - the 1987 U.S. Open, 1988 USBC Masters, 1989 Firestone Tournament of Champions and 1993 U.S. Open. All of his championships came in a seven-year span from 1987 to 1993. With his first career victory at the 1987 U.S. Open, Ballard became the first player in the history of professional bowling to win a six-figure prize.

"This is such an exciting and pivotal time for USBC, and I feel it is important for me to get more involved," Ballard said. "We are going to put programs together to assist other countries in start coaching programs and help federations develop further. Growing the sport around the world will continue to strengthen USBC in the years to come."