Thread: Spare ball speed

Default Spare ball speed

What speed do you throw your spare ball?

I throw my spares very slow.
    When I throw it slow I am much more accurate. I can lay it on exactly the board I want.

Chats: 243

mine varies depending on where the spare is. I shoot 10 pins fast but 7 pins slow
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Storm Crossroad, Roto Grip Defiant, DV8 Too Reckless, Brunswick Avalanche Urethane

Ball Speed: 18Mph
    Rev Rate: 450
    Current average: 199
    High game: 300
    High Series: 769

Chats: 0

I used to have a terrible habit of muscling my spare ball. I would miss half of the spares I shot simply by pulling it. I force myself to throw my spare ball the same speed and style as my strike balls and my conversion percentage is up towards 90% now.

My strike ball is usually 15mph, spare ball usually 16-17.

Chats: 16

Quote Originally Posted by ghoul31 View Post
    What speed do you throw your spare ball?

I throw my spares very slow.
    When I throw it slow I am much more accurate. I can lay it on exactly the board I want.
    Whatever speed you need to accomplish to pickup your spare, without losing accuracy. If you can throw your bowling ball at 21 mph, but lose accuracy, slow it down.

Bowling isn't about how fast you can throw your bowling ball or how big of a hook you can create. It IS impressive, but accuracy is what counts.
    - Ed

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________________
    Equipment: Hammer 1st Blood (RICO Layout @1500 Polished), Hammer Taboo (RICO Layout @2000 Polished), Hammer Taboo Blue/Silver (RICO Layout @4000), Storm Natural Pearl, Hammer Razyr, Ebonite Maxim

League Average (THS): 207
    High Game Score: 279 (9 in a row)
    High 3 Game Series: 788

PAP: 5 3/4 right 1/4 up
    Ball Speed: Mid 15-16 (Tweener)

Chats: 506

Quote Originally Posted by ecub View Post
    Whatever speed you need to accomplish to pickup your spare, without losing accuracy. If you can throw your bowling ball at 21 mph, but lose accuracy, slow it down.

Bowling isn't about how fast you can throw your bowling ball or how big of a hook you can create. It IS impressive, but accuracy is what counts.

this
    Stroker
    Ball Speed : 17mph Rev Rate : 300-325 PAP : 4 1/2
    Balls : Hammer Taboo Deep Purple Roto Grip Shatter Roto Grip Scream Hammer absolute hook
    Avg 182 high game 291 High series 709
    bowling 2 leagues and everyday i can

Member ID: 9407-9357

Ringer

If I throw at a ten pin the speed that is shown on the score keeper is about 2mph higher than my strike ball. That does not mean I throw at the ten pin faster than I throw my strike ball. I kill the rotation for the ten pin. Because of that, the ball doesn't slow down from friction. My strike ball does slow down. The speed gun is far down the lane at a point where my strike ball has already slowed down. My true ball speed off my hand for both strikes and the ten pin is about the same.
    Ball speed: 17 - 18.5 mph Rev rate: 400ish
    PAP 6 1/8" over 1/4" up
    13° axis tilt / 30°-60° axis rotation
    Thumbless bowler
    High game: 300 High series: 804 High average: 217

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Depends on the spare. If it's a single pin or anything I'm throwing plastic at then it's usually 6-10 mph faster than my strike ball. Accuracy is paramount so whatever speed you need to stay accurate is your ideal ball speed. I'm weird in that the slower I try to throw the less accurate I am. Definitely the exception to the rule as I've seen it.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

keep in mind that the spare ball is travelling less distance than a hook. so speed reads higher. Even when I throw the same as my strike ball, the spare always reads higher.

I usually throw it about the same speed as the opening shot. It all depends on what pin I'm shooting though, but it usually isn't far off from the speed of my opening shot.