Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Changed from a 3/4 roller to a full roller?

Blog Entries
    Chats: 6

Quote Originally Posted by Mike White View Post
    In what way does the half thumb help?

When you release the ball with half thumb, are you trying to lift up with the fingers for revolutions, or to project the ball down the lane for speed and delayed reaction?
    I was thinking much the same. If your using two hands, the second hand is a much greater stabilizing tool than half of your thumb. The thumb should be coming out about the same time the second hand comes off. I'm not saying you shouldn't do it, it's totally up to you. If your going to do it, see if you can find Tom Smallwood, or Brian Valenta's layouts. Maybe even email those guys and ask for advice. Again, just my opinion, so take it or leave it, but from the video I've seen of you I think your biggest issues or you second hand position and how far you bring the ball back. If you have any questions, PM me, I'll see if I can steer you straight, if you want.
    Trying not to suck, one day at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by RoccoRock View Post
    I was thinking much the same. If your using two hands, the second hand is a much greater stabilizing tool than half of your thumb. The thumb should be coming out about the same time the second hand comes off. I'm not saying you shouldn't do it, it's totally up to you. If your going to do it, see if you can find Tom Smallwood, or Brian Valenta's layouts. Maybe even email those guys and ask for advice. Again, just my opinion, so take it or leave it, but from the video I've seen of you I think your biggest issues or you second hand position and how far you bring the ball back. If you have any questions, PM me, I'll see if I can steer you straight, if you want.
    Okay, I PMed you about all my "progress" I've been trying to make.
    220/300x4/761

I only throw a hyroad

Ringer
    Chats: 0

If you're only putting your thumb halfway in the ball then that is the cause for why the track is now either over or inside the thumb hole. That is true whether you use two hands or not. Tom Smallwood on the pro tour is a half thumber and his track does indeed go inside the thumb hole.

So why does it happen? It's really pretty simple. Your thumb is moved further to the outside when it is only halfway in the ball. It is moved towards your track and it's enough that the track can end up going inside the thumb hole.

Does that make you a full roller? Not necessarily. A full roller means that the track covers the full diameter of the ball or very, very close to it. It's very possible for the track to be inside the thumb hole, yet due to its tilt, it still doesn't cover the full diameter of the ball.

So how does Tom Smallwood have his balls drilled? I've heard that he use full roller layouts that cause the track to flare the opposite direction. This keeps the track from flaring over the thumb hole. Using full roller layouts does not make a person a full roller. A person is a full roller ONLY if their track covers the full diameter of the ball (splitting it right in two).
    Ball speed: 17 - 18.5 mph Rev rate: 400ish
    PAP 6 1/8" over 1/4" up
    13° axis tilt / 30°-60° axis rotation
    Thumbless bowler
    High game: 300 High series: 804 High average: 217

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12