Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I hate tournaments

Quote Originally Posted by GeoLes View Post
    H. I hate not-tournament bowlers.

L
    Well at least the truth is out. League and tournament bowlers hate open bowlers.

So they have to ban open bowlers and leave half the lanes empty because the the league and tournament bowlers hate them so much.

And people wonder why this sport is dying.

Quote Originally Posted by ghoul31 View Post
    Well at least the truth is out. League and tournament bowlers hate open bowlers.

So they have to ban open bowlers and leave half the lanes empty because the the league and tournament bowlers hate them so much.

You're not understanding what everyone is saying.

Tournament bowlers are very serious, and tournaments are a big deal. These are our moments that we cherish. They should not be tarnished by open bowlers bowling next to us. Having ADHD makes paying attention hard enough for me, I don't need people who won't be courteous and will proceed to be distracting bowling near me.
    220/300x4/761

I only throw a hyroad

Chats: 243

Quote Originally Posted by billf View Post
    Usuall, like this past weekend, 224 won't cut it to win. Most of the handicap tournaments around here are 80% of 220. This past one was 90% of 220. I got no pins. A sandbagger came in, rolled a 690 his first three games and got 120 pins in handicap. That actually beat the guy who averaged 260. We all made that cut but the sandbagger won the whole thing. He didn't roll a single game under 220 all day. I usually place high enough to place in the payouts.

Scratch tournaments, I'm not good enough....yet. There was one tournament that in match play I lost 279-289. Placement of the spare was the difference.

Either way, I bowl all the tournaments I can. It's to the point where I don't feel any nerves or out of place anywhere I'm at. Much different than the first time I bowled away from my home center.
    Ah i see. When my alley posts up tournament info theyre usually half scratch half handicap im assuming to combat sandbaggers? Im gonna try out a tournament regardless but i just thought id get as estimate of the quality of bowlers.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Storm Crossroad, Roto Grip Defiant, DV8 Too Reckless, Brunswick Avalanche Urethane

Ball Speed: 18Mph
    Rev Rate: 450
    Current average: 199
    High game: 300
    High Series: 769

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by e-tank View Post
    Ah i see. When my alley posts up tournament info theyre usually half scratch half handicap im assuming to combat sandbaggers? Im gonna try out a tournament regardless but i just thought id get as estimate of the quality of bowlers.
    The tournaments don't have scratch and handicap to combat sandbaggers. Having a scratch division would have no effect on sandbagging.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    The tournaments don't have scratch and handicap to combat sandbaggers. Having a scratch division would have no effect on sandbagging.
    no i mean say you play 6 games, half would be scratch half would be handicap. I assumed it would combat sandbagging because the the good bowlers could shine in the scratch games and no one could rely on handicap

Storm Crossroad, Roto Grip Defiant, DV8 Too Reckless, Brunswick Avalanche Urethane

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by e-tank View Post
    no i mean say you play 6 games, half would be scratch half would be handicap. I assumed it would combat sandbagging because the the good bowlers could shine in the scratch games and no one could rely on handicap
    Never seen a format like that, I don't see it affecting the sandbagger though. (It might depend on just exactly what the rules were.)

Because the "Good bowlers" would not only have to beat them in the last 3 games, they'd still have to over come the handicap scores of the sandbaggers from the first 3 games. And the sandbaggers would still be bowling good/over average for the last 3.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    Never seen a format like that, I don't see it affecting the sandbagger though. (It might depend on just exactly what the rules were.)

Because the "Good bowlers" would not only have to beat them in the last 3 games, they'd still have to over come the handicap scores of the sandbaggers from the first 3 games. And the sandbaggers would still be bowling good/over average for the last 3.
    ah okay. Makes sense

Chats: 0

I wouldn't hate the tournament if I were you, I'd hate the bowling alley for hosting it to the exclusion of the open bowlers. What does the tournament have to do with you? Your frustration seems to be at the center and their respect of the conditions of the tourney.

The answer of course is to open your own bowling alley and see how long you last only doing open bowling. Good luck with that.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Quote Originally Posted by ghoul31 View Post

that's right, the sport is dying because when I have a chance to win $5,000 I don't want some kid running up on me or some clown screaming at my release. I don't hate open bowlers but very much dislike self-absorbed, disrespectful who even after lane courtesy is explained to them, still refuse to show any. Yes, I've had kids get hit by my back swing during league (parents/adult were open bowling and not watching the toddler) and have gone off on some teens who kept running up on the approach during position round. I also blamed the staff who put them on an adjacent lane and left the end lane next to them open. As I explained to everyone in the zip code that night, it was more the fault of the staff than the people attempting to bowl.

BTW, I practice around 100 games a week with open bowlers all around me. Anything goes then or so it seems.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Chats: 0

I agree that it stinks wanting to go bowl but unable to because of leagues or tournements. Where I am at, on Fridays the entire alley is closed for open bowl from 5-9 for leagues. It does stink, but I get over it, because when I join those leagues I am going to want that buffer between me and the open bowlers.
    It's kinda like wanting to go play basketball with my friend's but their is a highschool game going on. I can either go home, watch the game or pout that I can't play. Cause I don't think the team would appreciate me trying to play on the court next to them.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast