Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: I hate tournaments

Chats: 1

I have to agree with the economics of having tournaments. My local lane is a National bowling center. I have never seen a tourmanent there, with the exception of the occasional local High School competition In order to keep the lights on, they have to fill the lanes, so weekends are lots, and lots of kiddie parties and the occasonal corporate party. If you can find a lane available on the weekend they tend to have dirty approaches, ntreated lanes, lots of distacting kids, etc. That is the dynamic of "Family Bowlling". Great for short practice sessions, but if you want to roll on fresh oil, forget it. I think of tournament as a blessing. Once the tournament is done, you still have a decent lane. Count your blesslings.
    I live by three simples rules:

1. Don't ever ask about my business
    2. Never discuss business at the table
    3. Don't ever side with anyone against the family

I remember being 11-16 when I was more innocent and less self reliant for transportation. Having league nights at bowling alleys really grinded my gears (insert Family Guy picture here)

In my early 30's I now encounter issues trying to bowl on "open" times and it drives me nuts. (I'd love to practice when leagues arent bowling in relative peace, but I understand that's their open moneymaking time)

What is more important? It's hard to say, but any recreational activity that uses a court a lane or a field has these issues. Having an easy way to find out if lanes are available is a much better idea. An app, or a website would be huge. We can't all get what we want. Bowling isn't dying because your alley wouldnt let you use 7 lanes, it's dying because it's governing bodies and individual centers still don't know how to embrace the individual with technology and avoid these instances as much as possible.

I understand your frustration, but hating people you don't know is a little childish. Especially if there are more houses available to you. I live in Maine and my alley is hosting states by order from the USBC. There goes the only 32 lane alley within an hour for about 5 weekend mornings and afternoons. Oh, well. I'd rather have a USBC center than not.
    In the Bag: Storm Marvel Pearl, Storm IQ, Columbia 300 White Dot
    In the Locker: Storm Tropical Breeze, RG Defiant, RG Bandit

Blog Entries
    Chats: 30

When it comes to practice and getting the best conditions possible, your best option is to go early in the mornings. My Dad & I practice 9-10:30 AM on Sundays and get three games in often before most kids even roll out of bed. The lanes are open to anyone, most parties and charity events start after 11. Only us bowling nuts committed to improving our game are there within 5 minutes of the doors opening.

Tournaments are what keeps the game growing and termed a sport.
    RIGHTY STROKER 12-14 MPH (: .)EBONITE Innovate (: .)ROTO GRIP Disturbed
    USBC: Avg: 176.3 HiG: 257 HiS: 631 || Lifetime HiG: 279 Lifetime HiS: 689
    My BowlingBoards Blog features Lifetime High Scores Proud Member of BowlingBoards.com

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234