Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thumb Slumb Slugs use them or lose them?

Default Adavantages to having a thumb slug....

Hey All I am new to the Board I own a Cyclone ball as my strike ball and a strait ball for the 10 pin but in my league. I've seen others with thumb slugs and I didn't know what they were used for since where I got my ball drilled didn't put on in my ball I got my ball drilled at a different bowling alley from where I bowl cause he was an olympic bowler and pro, now he drills balls and a pro shop owner, reason I know this is because I used to be on a league with his dad well truthfully his dad would sub and and visit and watch us bowl when I bowled at AMF now I bowl at Kingpin Lanes in J-Town cause was closer to me anyway I bought my second fingertip ball from chuck, the guy at AMF and he drilled it cause kingpin already screwed up on drilling one of mine and moms balls and recomended her a ball that don't even hook when she specifically asked for a ball that hooked for a back up ball and when we got it drilled there the kid drilled it upside down, anyway what is the purpose of a thumb slug what does it do I don't even know if chuck uses thumb slugs but if it will help cause I see a lot of bowlers with them and my thumb keeps rubbing all the time where I had a blister before from bowling cause I practiced twice meaning two seperate days before I bowled monday night on my league so will it keep the ball from rubbing my thumb on he inside of my thumb cause I am already using protective tape not a roll precut what do you recommend I do get a thumb slug or not or get a roll of protective tape so I can rap it around my thumb where the blister was let me know what you think?

What is the purpose of haveing a thumb slug? What does it do? Alot of bowlers use them at my bowling alley on my league and I have a spot on the side of my thumb that rubs will the slug prevent that from happening cause when I first got my new ball wich is my second fingertip ball which is one to fit my style of bowling now and its a cyclone ball incase you were wondering anyway first time I got it I went practicing two times in one week and rubbed a big blister on my thumb now will a slug prevent that from happening again or should I open the thumb hole some more and put some tape in it or what should I do, what are the advantages and disadvantages to haveing a thumb slug?

Sara
    Last edited by bowl1820; 03-19-2013 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Threads merged do to be basically the same post

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by WolfGirl1980 View Post
    What is the purpose of haveing a thumb slug? What does it do? Alot of bowlers use them at my bowling alley on my league and I have a spot on the side of my thumb that rubs will the slug prevent that from happening cause when I first got my new ball wich is my second fingertip ball which is one to fit my style of bowling now and its a cyclone ball incase you were wondering anyway first time I got it I went practicing two times in one week and rubbed a big blister on my thumb now will a slug prevent that from happening again or should I open the thumb hole some more and put some tape in it or what should I do, what are the advantages and disadvantages to haveing a thumb slug?
    I have a spot on the side of my thumb that rubs

Rubbing on the side of the thumb is a fit problem, depending on which side it is. you would need to adjust the left or right lateral pitch of the hole. Using A thumb slug would really wouldn't make much of difference in the rubbing.

Most use a thumb slug for the feel because they are made from urethane. Also they make it easy to plug and redrill a ball quickly because you don't have to wait for plugging material to set up.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 16

Here's a URL to help narrow down thumb sores or calusses...
    http://www.jayhawkbowling.com/Pro_s_...s/fitting.html
    - Ed

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________________
    Equipment: Hammer 1st Blood (RICO Layout @1500 Polished), Hammer Taboo (RICO Layout @2000 Polished), Hammer Taboo Blue/Silver (RICO Layout @4000), Storm Natural Pearl, Hammer Razyr, Ebonite Maxim

League Average (THS): 207
    High Game Score: 279 (9 in a row)
    High 3 Game Series: 788

PAP: 5 3/4 right 1/4 up
    Ball Speed: Mid 15-16 (Tweener)

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

I prefer thumb slugs over a regular hole because my thumb will clear the ball quicker. As for your rubbing issue, you're either bending your thumb (doesn't sound like it), the thumb pitch is wrong or the span is off.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Ringer
    Chats: 0

I don't use a thumb slug. Of course, I don't use my thumb either! Actually I do for some spares and if the lanes are really toast. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe using a slug allows you to make small changes in thumb pitch without having to plug the thumb hole. They can just install another slug and then drill it with different pitch as long as it doesn't get drilled though the side of the slug. For me it's just a waste of $10.
    Ball speed: 17 - 18.5 mph Rev rate: 400ish
    PAP 6 1/8" over 1/4" up
    13° axis tilt / 30°-60° axis rotation
    Thumbless bowler
    High game: 300 High series: 804 High average: 217

Well I use them because when thumb coming out of the ball I do not like the feel of transition from inner to outer core. No matter how smooth the thumb hole is, you can always feel a slight ridge. With a thumb slug it is one smooth line bottom to top.

i started using slugs to get the same feeling on my thumb from ball to ball.
    PAP - 6 1/4 1/8 up
    speed 16-16.5 monitor
    ~400-450 revs

I am a Proud Member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Perrin View Post
    i started using slugs to get the same feeling on my thumb from ball to ball.
    This. I can't tell one ball from another by feel, which is good.

Chats: 16

Quote Originally Posted by austin View Post
    Well I use them because when thumb coming out of the ball I do not like the feel of transition from inner to outer core. No matter how smooth the thumb hole is, you can always feel a slight ridge. With a thumb slug it is one smooth line bottom to top.
    I agree.
    - Ed

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________________
    Equipment: Hammer 1st Blood (RICO Layout @1500 Polished), Hammer Taboo (RICO Layout @2000 Polished), Hammer Taboo Blue/Silver (RICO Layout @4000), Storm Natural Pearl, Hammer Razyr, Ebonite Maxim

League Average (THS): 207
    High Game Score: 279 (9 in a row)
    High 3 Game Series: 788

PAP: 5 3/4 right 1/4 up
    Ball Speed: Mid 15-16 (Tweener)

For the love of god....punctuation.

I like the way a slug feels.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast